LKV 420 Outdoor Grow Journal 2022

It's chlorophyll breaking down in the leaves.
Common when you get a 10 c or more drop at night.
It is perfectly alright. :thumb:
She looks lovely.
Nice work.
Take care my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:
Hi there.. So I I'm sharing something I recently read on a growers forum where we were discussing the flushing myth and harvesting issues:
"Well when u stop feeding your plants, if it was halfway the leaves still turn yellow as it feeds it self from it's leafs". ..if u continue to feed it till say till 12 weeks till harvest, the leaves stay green. Even though by 12 weeks the overall thc content drops... but if it smells grassy u chopped it to soon.. that's why it smells like hay.
However if done rite I can smoke mine as soon as it's dried and it smells better than my first grow (was grass smell I was learning) "

So I guess the moral of the story is : If you're loosing colas to bud rot, or pests, etc, an you decide to chop early to save it, KNOW that your grow will smell like hay and not be very strong. Drop the mic!

This is my second grow and that's what I've learned this year.
I should have learned it last year😢 but even though it smelled like grass my 2021 early harvest tested pretty good last year.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!
Shed is that wrong info? which part.. the cutting too soon smelling like hay part? Or Well when u stop feeding your plants, if it was halfway the leaves still turn yellow as it feeds it self from it's leafs". ..if u continue to feed it till say till 12 weeks till harvest, the leaves stay green. Even though by 12 weeks the overall thc content drops.

So re: the first plant. I dried, took a few hits. Got high, not strong more if a head high, Harsh (cuz not cured).
Will probably save it for edibles.

Hi there.. So I I'm sharing something I recently read on a growers forum where we were discussing the flushing myth and harvesting issues:
"Well when u stop feeding your plants, if it was halfway the leaves still turn yellow as it feeds it self from it's leafs". ..if u continue to feed it till say till 12 weeks till harvest, the leaves stay green. Even though by 12 weeks the overall thc content drops... but if it smells grassy u chopped it to soon.. that's why it smells like hay.
However if done rite I can smoke mine as soon as it's dried and it smells better than my first grow (was grass smell I was learning) "

So I guess the moral of the story is : If you're loosing colas to bud rot, or pests, etc, an you decide to chop early to save it, KNOW that your grow will smell like hay and not be very strong. Drop the mic!

This is my second grow and that's what I've learned this year.
I should have learned it last year😢 but even though it smelled like grass my 2021 early harvest tested pretty good last year.
What is your dry and cure process?:Namaste:

Stay safe

What is your dry and cure process?:Namaste:

Stay safe
Hi Bill,
Cut plants branches one by one wet trim,
bud wash ( 3 --2 gallon buckets) 1st bucket has water 1/4 cup bkg soda and 1/4 cup lemon juice.
hang (out of direct sun) about 3 to 4 hrs till dry
move to dark room hang on strings currently 58 to 60 RH for about 7 days till the branches snap then move to mason jars burp daily till cured every day, to reach 62% H. the just once a week and then once a month.

Hi Bill,
Cut plants branches one by one wet trim,
bud wash ( 3 --2 gallon buckets) 1st bucket has water 1/4 cup bkg soda and 1/4 cup lemon juice.
hang (out of direct sun) about 3 to 4 hrs till dry
move to dark room hang on strings currently 58 to 60 RH for about 7 days till the branches snap then move to mason jars burp daily till cured every day, to reach 62% H. the just once a week and then once a month.
You have a good handle on your Method.
Should work well.
Sorry the first batch smelt like hay.
Hopefully the rest are perfect. :thumb:
Have a good day. :ciao:

Stay safe

Hiya LKV!

I'm kinda in the same boat - trying to dial in my dry / burp / cure process to optimize bud flavor and aroma. I wash and hang to dry for a few hours, then I dry in the fridge. I think where I went wrong is I jarred for burping when the RH was around 62%. I think is better to dry until it's around 66-68% RH, then place into jars and burp twice each day for a week, then burp once per day for a week. Slowly getting the RH down to 62% over a 2 week time frame.
And per Shed "it's not just about lowering the RH% - it's also about air exchange."
I just read user Captian lucky washed His buds with citric acid and baking soda and still got the hay smell. Are you using pesticides? If not if you’re just using the BT. Well that washes off with straight water so that’s what I’m going to do this year for my remaining plants. Just to clean water bud rinse

And can you tell me. Your harvest and dry method?
Almost identical.
Wet trim and hang.
I had a climate controlled room.
I had a harvest every 4 weeks.
60 f - 60 rh .
When small branches snap , into jars they go.
I freeze my trim for concentrates.
But pretty much identical process.
I don't always have time for washing, but it's good to do it .
I'm looking at between 10 and 15 pounds this time , not just 2.
So I'll bowl trim aswell.
Those buds hang on racks to dry then jars.
I've ordered 20 - 1/2 pound Grove bags for this run.
Hopefully it's better than the jars, less work aswell.
Have you tried them yet? ( Grove Bags )

Stay safe

Almost identical.
Wet trim and hang.
I had a climate controlled room.
I had a harvest every 4 weeks.
60 f - 60 rh .
When small branches snap , into jars they go.
I freeze my trim for concentrates.
But pretty much identical process.
I don't always have time for washing, but it's good to do it .
I'm looking at between 10 and 15 pounds this time , not just 2.
So I'll bowl trim aswell.
Those buds hang on racks to dry then jars.
I've ordered 20 - 1/2 pound Grove bags for this run.
Hopefully it's better than the jars, less work aswell.
Have you tried them yet? ( Grove Bags )

Stay safe
You don't have to use citric acid if you're worried about smell. I use it for the PM on the sugar leaves. The original recipe calls for lemon juice which is also citric acid but I have no idea what the percentage is in that.
Would u use bkg soda without citric or lemon?

I just read user Captian lucky washed His buds with citric acid and baking soda and still got the hay smell. Are you using pesticides? If not if you’re just using the BT. Well that washes off with straight water so that’s what I’m going to do this year for my remaining plants. Just to clean water bud rinse
I use Neem in veg only. In flower I use Safer (rinse off 30 mins later) and BT. About once per week of each. I typically have very few bugs because I put netting over my plants. I still have issues but a lot fewer bugs. 2 years ago caterpillars decimated my crop. The netting has helped greatly. I had a little bit of rot this time but I think that was weather related and not exacerbated by the netting.

I’m currently in dry / cure mode. Another few days and fridge dry will be complete, then comes the crucial part - burping and cure. I can see the finish line!

Link to my latest grow is below.

I use Neem in veg only. In flower I use Safer (rinse off 30 mins later) and BT. About once per week of each. I typically have very few bugs because I put netting over my plants. I still have issues but a lot fewer bugs. 2 years ago caterpillars decimated my crop. The netting has helped greatly. I had a little bit of rot this time but I think that was weather related and not exacerbated by the netting.

I’m currently in dry / cure mode. Another few days and fridge dry will be complete, then comes the crucial part - burping and cure. I can see the finish line!

Link to my latest grow is below.
What did you wash your buds in ? :ciao: Hey GB.

Stay safe
Would u use bkg soda without citric or lemon?
I wouldn't use baking soda personally, that could just be me.
I bought a 5 gal pale of real Hydroguard peroxide.
Got fed up buying little bottles.
I used it for everything.
But citric acid is good if your worried about mold.
Or lemon juice, it has acid in it.

Stay safe

What did you wash your buds in ? :ciao: Hey GB.

Stay safe

I wouldn't use baking soda personally, that could just be me.
I bought a 5 gal pale of real Hydroguard peroxide.
Got fed up buying little bottles.
I used it for everything.
But citric acid is good if your worried about mold.
Or lemon juice, it has acid in it.

Stay safe
Hi Bill!

Hope all is well.

I did a 4 bucket wash including hydrogen peroxide for first two plants as they had a bit of rot in the top colas - which I chopped and discarded. The next 3 plants got a 3 bucket wash - no hydrogen peroxide. I used citric acid and baking soda in one bucket, the other two hose water. I believe the citric acid acts as a mold inhibitor and the baking soda helps neutralize the PH. Together they also act as a surfactant to clean away dirt and debris. Foams quite a bit at first. The water rinses everything off and makes the flowers supermarket fresh.

Bud washing link below.

Never tried it. I used to wash in a 1:3 mix of hydrogen peroxide and water but it's not easy to find that many bottles of it anymore.
I found a gallon jug of hydrogen peroxide at Smart and Final for $12.
The next day I saw quarts on sale at Walgreens for $8 for four (BOGO half off). Figures.

Back
Top Bottom