Low PH When Using Nutes

I don't use GO. I'm using promix and botanicare- but my 2c...
I use rainwater, which is about ph 5.6. By the time I add a full dose of nutrient I'm down to 4 or sometimes as low as 3.8. I then ph up to about 6.5 afterwards.
Promix doesn't have the buffering qualities of soil. Good soil should be able to easily take whatever ph is thrown at it. Rainwater as I said is about 5.6- so since your solution is similar to rainwater it's not going to cause much problem. Over the course of years soil can turn acidic. You probably don't have to think on those time scales right now.
Added dolomite lime does a good job of buffering if necessary.
I do not believe ph up or down will hurt your plants.

Hey Weaselcracker, you mentioned you use Promix at a 6.5 pH. It's a soilless medium, so you should be in the hydro range! I made that mistake (using Promix too) for several months, and finally saw somewhere that it was soilless. I think this confuses a lot of people, as they typically sell the soilless mixes as "potting soil" or similar. Maybe I misunderstood you, but I've had much better luck since I made the change!

Holy shit! It looks like you may be right!
Yes I know it's 'soilless', but didn't know about the ph thing. It makes sense based on my experience. Though- I also understand it has lime added- which doesn't quite fit with that ph range. Looking on the internet I see so far a lot of debate and vicious name calling around the subject. I'll do some more research- and call the maker if I don't find a real answer. Thanks!

Oh believe me, I understand all of what you're saying! I have regular Promix, and I don't believe it has lime added. Though for my first grow I added lime, as I thought I wanted my pH around 6.5-7. It really does help buffer it to that range, but I've had much better luck in the 5.8-6.0 range. It sounds like you have been purposefully creeping down in pH anyway and improving though!

Sorry for hijacking the thread, just trying to help a brother out.

That is a big help jojo. Thanks so much! I haven't confirmed this info yet, but I feel in my gut that what you're telling me is true. I feel like a bit of a dope for not knowing this before. When I first grew in promix it was with a long time grower who told me to ph it at 7. I've been fighting that bit of misinformation ever since. Though I don't think my ph has been so high that I've been suffering for it. I'm looking forward to dropping it a little more and seeing if I notice a difference.
Did you notice any obvious problems when you were treating the promix as soil PH?
I'm not sure who is hijacking the thread at this point- it's kind of all over the place :). Some good info though- and thanks GreenCaper, I got what you're saying too, still thinking on that. I've got some reading to do here.

Oh yeah, I had a ton of problems. It was also my first grow, trying to use organic nutrients. But from what I've experienced, pH inbalances cause the most issues, and with the most people. The lime I added made it impossible to lower the pH. I went so far as to mix a vinegar solution (like 25%) through the medium to lower the pH to the 6 range. I had lots of issues with leaves curling up, etc.

Then I switched to nothing added to the Promix except more perlite, and the pH is super easy to control with hydro nutrients. I have some pictures of 4 plants in my journal, and you can see their progress and color - it has seemed perfect the whole time.

I haven't generally been having any ph issues. Like I said, I avoid the higher end of the range- what I thought was the range. My plants are happy and healthy. By the time I get to mid flowering is when things get a bit less perfect- though I can't point my finger at PH. Maybe it's a factor. I've had various other circumstances going on- still just starting to dial things in now that I'm learning how from this forum.
Anyway- subbed in to your journal now- I'll stop blathering all over this thread :)

So yesterday I did my first feeding without adjusting PH, I'm kinda nervous but so far I've seen no negative effects, we'll see if I run into any problems. Some people seem pretty certain that the PH will balance itself out in the soil, I'm hoping they are right. Right now I'm just using FFOF mixed with Perlite. I plan on transplanting them from 1 gallon to 9 gallon pots soon, I'm going to use the rest of the FFOF mixed with Happy Frog and Perlite and now I'm thinking of adding Dolomite Lime to help with the PH buffering. Anyone think this is a good idea?

I know this thread is a little old but I emailed general hydroponics a while ago and asked about ph-ing the go line and using armour si, this was their response.

We do not recommend adjusting the pH of your nutrient solution when using GO unless you are growing in a sterile medium with no beneficial bacteria. If that is the case, then adjust the pH if necessary to between 6.2 — 6.5 and apply within 24 hours after mixing.

The Armor Si does have a very high pH and actually is a good way to raise the pH of your solution. The GO line is fairly acidic so if you mix it with your distilled water first 2.5 — 5ml/gal), then mix your GO, it should end up right in the wheelhouse.

The end of the last paragraph might sound abit confusing if you don't know when using a silicate you have to add it to the water first then add your nutes.

So did you end up having any problems with out adjusting the ph.

Back
Top Bottom