Lowryder Journal

skatterbrayne

I was recently blessed to come into some decent genetics: Lowryder, White Widow, Blue Mystic, M.Kush, and Durban Poison.

Lowryder_White_Widow_Blue_Mystic_Master_Kush_S_African_Durban_Poison11.JPG

I'm gonna get a head start indoors with two lowryders.
Gonna go hydro, DWC, using 5 gallon buckets for each plant, start to finish under a 400 hps w/hortilux bulb.

And Here We Are..........

3 Days Ago Placed 2 Seeds on 4 paper towels, and an additional 4 paper towels on top. The paper towels were completely wet, (though not sopping wet). Placed all of this in a dvd case, (courtesy, DC, CH, and others). This dvd case was then placed on a heating pad.

Germination_step_1a1.JPG

Germination_step_1b1.JPG

Germination_Step_21.JPG

Roughly 24 hrs later, both seeds had tap roots emerging, so I placed each about half an inch down in their own rockwool cube that had presoaked for 24 hrs in pH 6 water.

Germination_Step_3a1.JPG

Then placed both rockwool cubes in a home made humidome. One tupperware container on top of both cubes and a small container, trapping the heat and moisture in side. One hole is poked in the humidome to allow some ventilation.

Germination_Step_3b1.JPG

Humidome1.JPG

24 hrs later beginning to sprout.

Today both had emerged and were started on their 18/6 regimen under the 400 watt hortilux. They are about 24 inches from the light at this time due to their fragility.

I also gave a personal friend/grow mentor of mine 4 seeds to get down with. He will be breeding the plants for seed for us, since you cant clone lowryder.

Til Next Time.....

:peace:

i like your whole journal setup. anyways keep us posted. i want to see how you maintain your plants hopefully they're beautiful mothers

OuncesOf said:
i like your whole journal setup. anyways keep us posted. i want to see how you maintain your plants hopefully they're beautiful mothers

Thanks, OuncesOf. Just wanna take it seriously, learn more as I go, listen to my plants and hope for a femme.:allgood:

Dank,

I've actually been considerin' vegging at 24/7, but I'm goin start to finish on the 400w and I just keep feelin' like that extra 6 hrs of 400 w runnin' will add up. Also, I read this lowryder grow guide by Joint Doctors where they recommend 18/6 over any other light cycle for this strain.

Otherwise, I'd probably be tryin' 24/7, cause I have seen great results from it. I'll be growin' some White Widow and Blue Mystic here shortly,
think the 24/7 would be good for those?

Here's an update, friends.

The shorties are 1 wk old and are now in my home made, start up bubbler. I have 5 gallon buckets that they will go in this weekend after I cut down the fully mature plants that are currently growing where my hortilux is.

Here's the simple bubbler for seedlings or clones.

2) 3 inch Netted Pots with hydroton and a rockwool cube holding the LR's are inserted into 2 cut out holes in the lid of a tupperware container, slightly smaller than diameter of pots.

PICT00101.JPG

Inside the tupperware container, an aquarium airstone is placed and connected to air tubing and an aquarium air pump outside of the container.

PICT00132.JPG

PICT00063.JPG

PICT00031.JPG

I will be adding Fox Farm Grow Big at 25% thru foliar feeding after the 2nd wk. Then I will switch to a light Tiger Bloom regimen after the 4 week.

Hopefully these will show sex within the next two weeks

Wow! They sure are growing fast - even for Lowryders! Ya may want to start a few more beans if ya got em to increase your chances for a fem. Last run of LR's I did got 4 males & 3 females outta 7 seeds. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

MC

madamecrash said:
Wow! They sure are growing fast - even for Lowryders! Ya may want to start a few more beans if ya got em to increase your chances for a fem. Last run of LR's I did got 4 males & 3 females outta 7 seeds. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

MC

Great advice Madame, and you make a good point. Only thing is, I've got 2 Blue Mystic and 2 White Widow seeds started as well, all 6 plants will go in the grow room each in their own 5 gallon bucket. That way, the LR will just kinda keep me busy (and hopefully budded) while the WW and BM are still maturing.

I wanna start more, but with a 3.5ft x 4 foot grow room, and 1 400w hps/w hortilux, I was feeling like space and light would become an issue.:cool:

I do plan to give the males to a buddy of mine who is also growing LR, so we can pollinate for seeds. So I'll be sacrificing a female if I get one and he has all males.

Now if both of us get all males, I'm just gonna assume you cursed us:laughtwo: :cheesygrinsmiley: :allgood: :allgood: .

:allgood: I'll make sure to do all the girly chants, spells, and hail-mary's I can fer ya. :loopy:

But, Just for reference, I also did a seed run on my Lowryders, and it took 3 medium sized females to harvest 220 seeds. And I had to polinate them w/multiple males a few times to get that many beans. (The boyz wanted to pop waaaaay before the girls were ready for em ..LOL) :cheesygrinsmiley:

I don't know how many beans you want at the end, but ya might want to tell yer bud to keep some pollen around just in case if he can..

Peace 'n Greens to ya..
MC
:allgood: :peace: :smokin:

Thanks for the tip. We actually needed that info because he's seeded other strains, but never grown lowryder. 3 for roughly 200 huh? I'll let him know, and have him hold on to some pollen. And you said medium sized, are we talkin' like 10-12 in? What was your yield off plants of the same size? I know the range can go from really low, to kinda surprising for a dwarf strain.

So would you throw some down like every 2 weeks or so to stagger your harvests?

Just uploaded a pic. of the 3 Lowryder moms to my gallery. Should be approved in a day or two if ya want to take a look at em.

They finished off about the size of a Creamsicle... lol.. I didn't weigh them, but I'm gussing anywhere from 1/8th - 1/4 oz per plant (Seeded).

lollypop lollypop o lolly lolly lolly..... heehee......

Not sure what kind of harvest you're aiming for, but yeah, every two weeks depending on how much space you've got. They really like to have a lot of space for thier roots to grow straight down. If yer goin' Hydro with em then it's not an issue. But if ya put any in dirt, start them in the biggest pots you reasonable can.

Hope this helps..
MC

Thats peace. Thanks and I will check it out. I've already checked your gallery actually, and find it motivating as a new grower. The pics speak for themselves. BTW, did that honeymoon turn out female? I've been interested in that strain for a moment, and have wanted to see someone's grow of it. Also, I think I read somewhere that you really preferred motarebel genetics over nirvana? Can you give me some insight on that?

As far as the harvest, for the first time out, any smokable bud would be cool as long as we get some viable seeds between he and I. Thereafter, just a personal yield.

I'm hopin for more, but wouldn't be disappointed to get 10-12 grams from each plant. But being lowryder, I understand that this could not only happen but might even be a little optimistic in some cases.

But yeah, its all hydro. DWC in 5 gallon buckets for each plant. Will post pics today or tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Peace, Peace.

The grow room is now cleared out with the exception of two budsticks (soil) in 10 inch pots that I'm gonna let go for 1 to 2 more weeks before harvesting. I'll probably only go 1 because they'll be ready and I really dont like havin' soil in there with hydro. I seems as if pests are more of a soil issue.

So now everything is set for the Lowryder which will be sharing the room with 2 white widows that popped thru the rockwool last night, and hopefully 2 blue mystics if I can ever get them to crack, let alone pop.

Here are some of my small grow room shots. No ability to install intake, exhaust means leaving the door open during day cycle and during night once the containing room is completely dark. I did this my last grow, worked fine, and as a side note, despite my chronic hayfever/asthmatic history and waking up in the mornings with a rough throat, since I started "sleeping," with MJ, my night and morning breathing has improved dramatically:

All under 1 400 watt HPS w/ hortilux bulb. As this is only my second grow, I still need to determine if I prefer this bulb the whole way or switching from floro to hps for 12/12. So all 6 of these plants will be undr the EYE bulb the whole way. We'll see how it turns out.
The_Amazon2.JPG

Humidity-Thermometer1.JPG

Fan_Shot2.JPG

The_Amazon1002.JPG

6_5_gallon_bucket_system1.JPG

*****************BEFORE ADDING ANY PLANTS*************** buckets were filled with water and set out overnight and then treated the following day to bring the pH to about 6.0 (I use GH drop tester so, its somewhere between 5.8 and 6.1.

Lowryders are on the right. The white widows are on the left and the Blue Mystics will be in the two center buckets.
Under the hortilux its hard to see the tubing but these buckets are set up using the same concept as the seedling starter. Carp also has a helpful thread using these same methods if anyone's interested in the set up.

I use 1 air pump to supply 4 buckets w/ air via tubing and an air stone. Another air pump supplies the other 2 buckets.
6_Bucket_with_LR1.JPG

6_Bucket_Total_Shot1.JPG

And these are the products I'll be using for the duration of the grow.
Coworkers1.JPG

Hopefully my Blue Mystics will pop this week, then I'll start another White widow/blue mystic thread.
Til next time.......:passitleft: :peace:

Very nice setup! so neat & tidy. Just curious, how warm does the water in the buckets get?

The Honeymoon turned out to be a male. Sucks, cause it was the only one out of a packet of 20 beans that germinated.. (grumble)

Motarebel vs Nirvana.. don't get me started LOL! But basically, Motarebel is gifted genetics from name brand breeders to make super strong crosses for the Medical community. So, for $25 you can get a Motarebel f1 or f2 strain... like Killa Queen.. which is C99 x G-13 ...

Or you can spend $20 on Nirvana seeds, who cross everything with Skunk which lowers potency. Personally, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Nirvana products.

MC

Thanks MC, I'm tryin' to learn from all the first grow mistakes.

With the AC off and the hps on, the water in the buckets tested at 81 degrees, though it felt quite cool to the touch. I usually have the AC running in the place, which lowers the water temp to the mid to high 70's. Plus the upcoming season change should help bring that down even more inside. Are those numbers cause for concern for water temp?

1 out of 20 is wack. I know you were buggin' out. I may be starting to feel your pain though, cause after a week, I've only gotten one out of 4 blue mystic seeds to even crack, and it just did so today with the tap root barely visible. Poppin' through the rockwool is one thing,but these wont even crack first. I've tried presoakin' in pH 6 balanced water, paper towel method in dvd method, heating pad etc. Everything else has been a 2 to 3 day process to sprout. And ofcourse......I got 'em from Nirvana. I wont be seed huntin' for a while, but I believe I may check out motarebel next time out, and see how I dig 'em..

Does Nirvana really cross everything with skunk though? So that means that each F1 has a skunk parent instead of being strictly from whatever strain its labeled as?
Good lookin' out with the advice Madame. May prove quite invaluable in the coming days.

Peace

Well a sad thing just happened a week or two ago ... Motarebel was busted by the dang po-po :thedoubletake: So if ya want to check out any of his gear, gotta get it while ya still can. PM me if ya want some links to places that stock his seeds.. (don't want to spam your journal with ads.)

If ya look at a few grow pics of different Nirvana strains, they all seem to have very similar bud structure.. looks strikingly similar to skunk buds... but I don't think they're all f1 hybrids, more like f'3 .. but I'll do some checkin around on that one ... :hmmmm:

Water temps sound fine, but I'm a soil gal, and just started messin with hydro... so I was just curious.

If the beans won't even crack, could try giving them a squeeze along the narrow edge. The shell will "pop." Then put it back under the warm papertowels with a fresh drip of water on it, and maybe the stubborn ones will pop if it 'ain't a fungus. If they do germ, it will be in less than 24 hours, but I've had em germ in 4 hours after cracking the shell for em...

Man that sux about yer blue mystic. I was not happen about the Honeymoon fer sure. Now I know not to buy seeds that are sold in packages larger than 10... they do that to make up for a sketchy germ rate. Honeymoon must be really bad since it's sold in packets of 20.

Peace 'n' Greenliness!
MC

Peace, And Thanks, MC,

But here's some bittersweet news.
At day 18, which was a couple of days back, the biggest LR looks a little masculine.
Male11.JPG

You can see the sacs better in this pic
LR-Male1.JPG

So, if the other turns out female, I'm not sure if I'll seed it. I can say I will now, but it'll be hard wasting the bud not even knowing what LR was like.

If the other is male, we'll try to preserve the pollen per your advice Madame. got a tried and true method?. My growing buddy has a room where he usually lets breeding occur naturally, never had to preserve the pollen before.

But after nearly 3 weeks, he's 0/4 for germing the LR i gave him. So these are the only two LR we have goin. I put 2 more LR seeds in water this morning and will soak some rw cubes in pH 6 water tonight.

And some random pics of the plants:
Day_18_Side_Shots1.JPG

Overhead_LG1.JPG

WW-LR1.JPG

Its :joint:time, friends.....

Okay....

Its official. Both plants are male, and have actually been pulled and tossed. My buddy just ordered some LR seeds today, so he decided he'll do all the breeding with his batch. I've got two more seeds soaking in water, and I have 2 seeds still in the pack. If and when I can get them to germ, I will continue with this journal as if nothing ever happened.

Hell, we were only 3 weeks in anyway.

In the mean time I will be starting my white widow journal soon, and will add a couple of clones from Hog and Cali Chronic if they survive.

Stay tuned......

Peace and Love

SovietGrow said:
Damn sorry to hear that bro, I know what thats like.

Peace,

and thanks, man. Don't even trip though, the 2 LR seeds I put in water yesterday cracked, and got put in pH 6 rockwool cubes today. In a minute, we'll be right back on point.....The saga continues.

:allgood:

Hey Skatterbrayne, Did any squirrels dig yer LR's out of the trash??? Watch out, them suckers are as persistent as Brown Bears in a dumpster.. LOL.. :rofl:

Seriously though, I'm real glad to hear this didn't slow ya down. Do you have any way of adding some blue spectrum in the room? Maybe a couple of flouros or something to stick on the new sprouts for the first week? The blue spectrum will help encourage females....

Peace
MC
:smokin: :cool: :peace:

Back
Top Bottom