Many questions arround lamps and ballasts

houzouris

Hello everyone, this is my first post, i hope i didn't misplace it.

A little background: Where i live buying cannabis and specially quality one is really difficult so i decided to grow it myself. I spent days learning about everything since till now i could barely take care of a bean plant. I saw many opinions and realized i should actually try and see myself since even experienced growers argue about the best way to do it. The one thing i really can't try and see is the electrical build unless i don't mind frying something.
I want to apologize to the experienced forum users for asking that one question that has been asked a billion times but believe me, there is too much information on that topic. So much that it makes it impossible for a new grower to get a clear answer

So my questions:
1) Can ballasts be embed?: I bought 2x 250watt HPSV E40 lamps and read here that some lamps come with the ballast on some 150watt and 250watt lamps. It doesn't really state if the ballast is inside the lamp or just that they come together in 2 parts.
2) If ballasts can be embed is there any way for me to check it?: I read that HPS lamps are not like Fluorescent lamps and that without the ballast they won't even illuminate so it won't hurt if i connect them straight to the wall socket to check. The lamp also has this 4th sign on it that i don't get.
3) What's the difference between a ballast and a starter: I know the purpose of starters before i got into home growing since i 've always loved the light of fluorescent lamps in my lab. And that leads to the next question.
4) Do i need both starter and ballast? Do i really need a ballast? Am i good off with a simple starter?
5) If i really need a ballast afterall, are the rules for ballast the same for both fluorescent and HPS?: Does it HAVE to be the same wattage as the lamp?
6) Does each lamp needs it's own ballast or can i connect 2 or more lamps on the same ballast as long as the total wattage is the same as the ballast?

I work on a pretty limited budget so i will do anything to avoid a costly ballast even if that will reduce yield. If i can reduce the wattage of lamps to avoid the ballast that would be ok too as long as i get any result(i am not a heavy drinker anyway).

Thank you for your time, any answer is welcome!

It's in Greek but in case you don't get it because of the mixture of Greek and English or can't read it because of the small letters i wrote what the box says on it.

It says: Sodium Lamp 250W (E40) Type: HPSV-250/E40 Top P/N: 02.001.0812 Dimensions: 91x225

It says: High Pressure Sodium Lamb

Yes, that's a 250 watt high pressure sodium bulb. In order to use it you need a 250 watt high pressure sodium ballast and starter. That's the only way it will work. Do NOT wire it directly to the wall socket. It may very well explode.

Often, in the 250 watt size, reflectors will contain the ballast as well.

But yes, you need a ballast. When you see them for sale on the 'bay, they almost always include everything you need.

But you'll need the socket, too, and maybe a reflector which includes the socket, and sometimes the ballast and starter.

Did I make sense? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Urm.. wait so i need both a starter and a ballast? Or do most ballasts have a starter inside them. Most of growing packets i 've seen do not include the starter.
So would something like this and a custom reflector do the job?
If not, what would you have me buy?

Yes, that's a digital ballast and it's all you need. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Be sure you have the cable that connects the ballast to the reflector. It should come with the reflector. Sometimes the plugs are different.

Alright, it may not look like much but well, i needed a pro tip to be sure i am on the right steps! Thank you a lot! :D

Edit: How important is it that i get a digital ballast? I 've heard they are pretty good in comparison to magnetic ones, but will it make a difference even for a starter who works on budget?

It's not important at all. In fact, I like magnetic better. They're cheaper and quieter and you can easily find them used.

My advice is to get a reflector with built-in ballast. Just screw your bulb in and you're all set. You can also find used HPS street light fixtures.

If you're on a budget, the cheapest are the HPS ballast kits, with the transformer and starter. You supply the box and wire it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom