Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

If you can't really control your Temps go with the reflector series, if you can go with the 2. Those 5watt LED's can really bring the temp up to uncomfortable levels without proper cooling.

Temps I'm not too worried about, because ventilation will be a must for me odor-wise anyway...not like I'd try and ride out my grows without some sort of ventilation no matter what the light source! My only concern cooling will be that my grow tent will be inside a physical closet of close to the same footprint rather than, say, in a garage or basement- how much will that affect heat even with an effective ventilation plan in place?

Sounds like you're saying the 2 series is a "better" light overall. Or is that too wide of an assumption?

How did most of you make your decision on model? Not asking in terms of coverage, I'm more curious about why one would select the Mars ii or the reflector series. Based on my reading I'm leaning towards the reflector series because I'll likely be working with a grow tent 6'tall or less and the 3w diodes have less risk of "bleaching". In addition, according to the website they are designed for indoor usage. However, the mars ii with their 5w diodes will give better penetration I assume.

So my question is- which way to go spectrum wise? Anyone used the reflector series only to move to the mars ii? I feel a pull towards the reflector model but I can't tell if that's just advertising or possibly my desire for a specialized product vs. the mars ii which based on what I read boils down to more light.
When I initially contacted about buying a light, I was thinking a smaller light and Sara recommended the Mars II 400 which I thought might be too much for my space, and I'm glad I went with her advice. I'd rather have a little more power than not enough for my small coverage area, in my situation anyway.

wow, your plants grow fast,haha, thank you K0ncept.:)
I have a 144x3 reflector from TOP LED aka Mars Hydro, I have it in a 3x5ft tent.. For a 2x2 that might do the trick, the one thing I made the mistake of doing was having the light close to the plants at the start.. Once I moved the panel to 18+ inches above the canopy they took off like rockets, when I had the panel at 12" above them they were just getting really thick..
Here is a pic of my 144x3 over 6 of my plants at like 20 days of veg on them after transplant..
They went from this
IMG_66188.JPG

Too this... and they look even much better today as this pic was from a week or so ago.. 3 different strains 2 of each type, started from clones.
IMG_66913.JPG

When I initially contacted about buying a light, I was thinking a smaller light and Sara recommended the Mars II 400 which I thought might be too much for my space, and I'm glad I went with her advice. I'd rather have a little more power than not enough for my small coverage area, in my situation anyway.

not concerned with the coverage issue. That can always be addressed with multiples, etc. I'm concerned about quality of grows between the two lights, comparing the spectrums of the lights, benefits to the plants, etc.

talk of power usage and coverage is very straightforward and has been "covered" :thumb:

Temps I'm not too worried about, because ventilation will be a must for me odor-wise anyway...not like I'd try and ride out my grows without some sort of ventilation no matter what the light source! My only concern cooling will be that my grow tent will be inside a physical closet of close to the same footprint rather than, say, in a garage or basement- how much will that affect heat even with an effective ventilation plan in place?

Sounds like you're saying the 2 series is a "better" light overall. Or is that too wide of an assumption?
In a closet of the same size, are you venting to the same room, or you cutting a hole into the closet roof(probably sheetrock) to vent to the attic.

I recently ordered the 144x3w reflector led grow lights and I am having trouble tracking my order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The lights are for a 2x4x6 tent, or so I hope. Will this be able to fit and is this going to be enough for my first grow?

Could you tell me your order number, please email me, thank you .

In a closet of the same size, are you venting to the same room, or you cutting a hole into the closet roof(probably sheetrock) to vent to the attic.

I plan on taking a standard closet and having a grow tent as tall as the shelf in it, then carbon filter/exhaust fan out of the tent into the upper portion of the closet, making use of the gaps between the door and frame for the air to escape after leaving the tent. Will that be enough? talking a 3x3 or a 4x2, 6' tall.

:thanks: pretty good grow, healthy plant:))))))
3 weeks old and she looks so big already! She really loves this Mars II :love::love::love:

I hope this plant doesnt get out of control :loopy:

100_16453.JPG

not concerned with the coverage issue. That can always be addressed with multiples, etc. I'm concerned about quality of grows between the two lights, comparing the spectrums of the lights, benefits to the plants, etc.

talk of power usage and coverage is very straightforward and has been "covered" :thumb:
I wasn't referring to power usage, more along the lines of 3w vs 5w diodes so yeah you could say power consumption, sort of... :goodluck:

wow, great. you are a lucky man, our mars II900w is out of stock in USA now. need to wait. strike at port. OMG, why nobody work there. governemnt will solve it very fast? I am worrying.
Hell yes boys......ups just dropped off my 2 mars 900's can't wait........thanks Sara, ordered to my house in 6 days......

haha, welcome to join in us:) have you get the discount code?
Hi Sara, was wondering if there are any sales, coupons or discounts now or coming up? I'm looking at an "older model" 100x3. Very excited to go all LED. Thank you!

yes, sometimes went to junk becuase it was sent from our website system:)
I noticed my tracking info for the light I ordered was in the "junk" folder in my email

:circle-of-love: love your pictures as always,haha, thank you Johnnie.
I run the mars II 400 watt which is about 200 real watts in a secret jardin dark street 2x2x5. I couldn't be happier and I have about four weeks left.

P1040548.JPG

P1040547.JPG

Pictures taken yesterday, today is day 50 from flip, I was going to go 70 days but I may go 77 since first two weeks are pretty much transition phase(9 weeks of actual flowering). :volcano-smiley:

I plan on taking a standard closet and having a grow tent as tall as the shelf in it, then carbon filter/exhaust fan out of the tent into the upper portion of the closet, making use of the gaps between the door and frame for the air to escape after leaving the tent. Will that be enough? talking a 3x3 or a 4x2, 6' tall.
Between the door and frame won't be enough for the air to escape, I have tried venting to same room intaking from, it's definitely not ideal and growth will be slower in my experience. If you leave the closet doors closed, the heat will build fairly fast man, closet's are tough to do without a hole in the roof, or tubing everywhere.

:circle-of-love: love your pictures as always,haha, thank you Johnnie.

One of these days I'll get a real camera, this thing does those flowers NO justice. Much love Sara, so appreciate you and this thread and everyone involved. I am so happy to go the LED route and show others that you can really grow some beautiful flowers these days. So much has changed and so many people are misinformed because of older/original LED technology that couldn't flower very well. I love my LED and I'm a real person. :)

The 5 watt has a better penetration and covers more in a square foot print, so if your growing one or two big plants in a tent then the 2 is better in my opinion(as long as you can cool it) if your going to do a scrog those 3 watts will be fine. I use my 3 watt for vegging and my 5 for flower.

Between the door and frame won't be enough for the air to escape, I have tried venting to same room intaking from, it's definitely not ideal and growth will be slower in my experience. If you leave the closet doors closed, the heat will build fairly fast man, closet's are tough to do without a hole in the roof, or tubing everywhere.

much appreciated. I would wager that ventilation has to be either what most growers either a)worry about the most or b)don't think about at all and end up regretting the most.

So when placing a grow tent in a closet, taking tubing into the attic....or?

Back
Top Bottom