Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

No, I am not saying it is a "lie" per se, but I am saying you will have a VERY hard time to find actual "5W" Epistar/Epiled chips which are technically different from 3W chips. If you find them, let us know - but you won't find them!

What I am saying is (and here I am also referring to what Sara once mentioned although it was not too clear what she said) that how the chips are labelled, "3W" or "5W" depends how they're binned and driven. It is my guess that the better bins can be driven higher w/ higher output, then making companies to label those chips "5W" chips. OF COURSE it can also be that the entire "5W" chips is a sham, or at least it's confusing since it implies there are two different types of chips, 3W Epistar/Epiled and 5W Epistar/Epiled, which AS TO MY KNOWLEDGE isn't the case.

All non-linear electrical devices are binned, CPU's are binned, GPS are binned, memory is binned, LEDs are certainly binned as well. During the manufacture of such devices some tend to turn out better than others, hence the binning process. To put this into perspective, an Intel I5-xxxxk is the same die as the non-k version, the K version runs faster and can be pushed further due to its superior electrical characteristics. So by binning the product is actually different and can be named so.

All non-linear electrical devices are binned, CPU's are binned, GPS are binned, memory is binned, LEDs are certainly binned as well. During the manufacture of such devices some tend to turn out better than others, hence the binning process. To put this into perspective, an Intel I5-xxxxk is the same die as the non-k version, the K version runs faster and can be pushed further due to its superior electrical characteristics. So by binning the product is actually different and can be named so.

I'm all confused lol. They are 3w Chips being pushed to 5w or they are 5w chips being pushed at 3w I don't know but I do know they work whatever they are lol. I don't think a company can say we are selling 5w chips if they are 3w chips but hey look at Samsung the sell a 16gb phone with only 7.56 available to user so is it a true 16gb?

Screenshot_2016-02-14-14-46-28.png
No, I am not saying it is a "lie" per se, but I am saying you will have a VERY hard time to find actual "5W" Epistar/Epiled chips which are technically different from 3W chips. If you find them, let us know - but you won't find them!

What I am saying is (and here I am also referring to what Sara once mentioned although it was not too clear what she said) that how the chips are labelled, "3W" or "5W" depends how they're binned and driven. It is my guess that the better bins can be driven higher w/ higher output, then making companies to label those chips "5W" chips. OF COURSE it can also be that the entire "5W" chips is a sham, or at least it's confusing since it implies there are two different types of chips, 3W Epistar/Epiled and 5W Epistar/Epiled, which AS TO MY KNOWLEDGE isn't the case.
This looks like a 5w Epistar chip it was the first place I searched so it's a all white but I'm sure I can find blue, red, whatever color in 5w Epistar.

I'm all confused lol. They are 3w Chips being pushed to 5w or they are 5w chips being pushed at 3w I don't know but I do know they work whatever they are lol. I don't think a company can say we are selling 5w chips if they are 3w chips but hey look at Samsung the sell a 16gb phone with only 7.56 available to user so is it a true 16gb?

Following the logic used for binning, they are likely 3W chips than can safely be driven to 5W. As for the company calling them 5W, yes they can, it is not false advertising if the device can safely handle 5W. For the phone, the memory would likely be 16 billion bits unformatted, obviously you loose some in formatting and then the usable is because the system takes some space.

Following the logic used for binning, they are likely 3W chips than can safely be driven to 5W. As for the company calling them 5W, yes they can, it is not false advertising if the device can safely handle 5W. For the phone, the memory would likely be 16 billion bits unformatted, obviously you loose some in formatting and then the usable is because the system takes some space.

That's how I see this. Besides, the LEDs don't even have to handle 5W, not even 3W since they're driven anywhere from 1.76W to 2.2W, so way below. One thing is for sure tho, comparing the (very) old 300W with the "3W" chips (100 LEDs, total power draw 131W) and the newer 300W light, 60 LEDs, power draw about 120-125W means that with the newer "old-style" the LEDs are driven harder. Maybe they're binned that they "theoretically" could handle 5W, given adequate cooling etc..etc.... who knows.

Edit: Besides, I switched to COBs now and currently I am looking into Hydro. So I am not concerned with 3W or 5W LEDs any longer. By the way I like your DWC setup. I am trying Hempies now to see how the Hydro will be going, also looking into DWC possibly later. Soil is just a PITA, I am so over it...over-watering, bugs, etc...just problems with soil.... I think many of my problems with growing come from the fact that the peat in my potting mix retains so much water for a long time. I have a feeling that with Hydro/Hempies many of my problems will be gone.

Could not find them in any suppliers I have used in the states (all had Cree ) but they are listed in China on AliExpress as 45*45MIL EPISTAR and will ship to states

:circle-of-love:Great work, gudyul, everything is under your control.:yahoo:
here is my 10th clone Dutch Skunk . I had issues at about week 5 she started to bud in 18 hr cycle. I had bloom and veg switched on the 1200 . THe soil may have had too much P or K. I turned off the bloom switch and went on 24. Transplanted into large tub of regular potting soil. She stated vegging again. around day 70 now. ready to flip .
20160211_144901.jpg

:circle-of-love:Hi DEMSO, MarsII400 with one 300w will do the trick :circle-of-love: The BTU of MarsII400 is 638. I believe you can control the temp within 85F:Namaste:
Hello Sarah
I do not own the budget for March II 700 w
vou think that 400W can do the trick, or it is not good
I already possesses an LED panel 300 w
with 400 W and 300 W it is good for my area?
what is the temperature of the 400 w?
thank you

:circle-of-love:Hi Jagwire, sorry about the delay. We just have finished the holiday. If you still need them, you can send me an email to info@mars-hydro.com I will get back to you. Please tell me you are Jagwire420 from 420.:Namaste:
It's been about a week trying to order from the, still no response. Does anyone know what I can do I tried Skype email phone number FaceTime and nothing it's impossible to get ahold of them. I'm trying to get a 4'9x4'9 text 1 192 reflector and 1 Mars II 900.

:cheesygrinsmiley:Hello, Super! The holiday is over now... I don't want it to be over.:laughtwo:
This is the biggest holiday of the year in China. The country is basically closed for business for the next week or so. Sara will get in touch as soon as the holiday is over!!! :peace:

:drool: really, Pkgrows, I couldn't wait to see them.:cheer:
booming lights fast delivery. I cannot wait to see my harvest I have 2x mars reflector 144 x5w. total bang for your buck.

:party::party::party:Beautiful Flowers, thanks for sharing, Densenug!:goodjob: You can make an entry video for our video cup.:high-five:
I have been lurking for awhile, heres what I have going on.
b2_001.JPG
b2_002.JPG
b2_003.JPG
b2_004.JPG
b2_018.JPG
b2_019.JPG
b2_012.JPG
b2_021.JPG
b2_016.JPG
b2_019.JPG
b2_021.JPG
b2_020.JPG

:)We love you, JadeOne! I am so happy to hear the kind words.:ganjamon:
I am using 3 of the 144x 5's on a 12 plant grow.. it has only been used to flower almost ready for harvest pics to follow soon of the final product
They have great penetration I gave em a worst case scenario to judge how well the lights worked and boy am I happy!!
you will love them
J D

Back
Top Bottom