Merry Christmas - failed oil and failed canna butter - used Instant Pot for decarb - help me

radrichie61

Well, that says it all. I did my best and grew some pretty damn good weed. And I’ll be damn if I can make edibles to do anything. I’m cooking them in my instant pot for 20 minutes on high pressure to decarbox. I used plenty, cup for cup. But nothing with butter or oil. Just can not stink up my house so using my instant pot. Does that work and comments if you want.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

Well, that says it all. I did my best and grew some pretty damn good weed. And I’ll be damn if I can make edibles to do anything. I’m cooking them in my instant pot for 20 minutes on high pressure to decarbox. I used plenty, cup for cup. But nothing with butter or oil. Just can not stink up my house so using my instant pot. Does that work and comments if you want.
Good morning my friend, hope you are having a nice weekend.
I decarb in the oven 40 minutes at 240 f.
Then warm the pot and butter to 190 f in a crock pot or regular pot with a lid.
Don't go over 190f.
4 hrs minimum 8 is better 12 is what I prefer.
Hope that helps.
Take care. :passitleft:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

You're not heating it anywhere near long enough. SweetSue has an InstantPot Thread where she details her method. Basically (2) 1h 50min cycles on high pressure with a long 8 hour cool down in between sessions.

Good morning my friend, hope you are having a nice weekend.
I decarb in the oven 40 minutes at 240 f.
Then warm the pot and butter to 190 f in a crock pot or regular pot with a lid.
Don't go over 190f.
4 hrs minimum 8 is better 12 is what I prefer.
Hope that helps.
Take care. :passitleft:

Are you decarbing on a baking sheet? If so, can it be done is mason jars to eliminate odor.

Thanks

Are you decarbing on a baking sheet? If so, can it be done is mason jars to eliminate odor.

Thanks
I use a 3" deep brownie pan.
Cover it with tinfoil seal the edges to trap the smell.
Steams the pot instead of drying it out.
I wouldn't use glass just incase.

In case of what?
If it broke it would ruin all the pot.
Just don't trust glass.
Morning Azi. :ciao:
How are you doing today?

I can't be doing with stinking the place out either, but I did find a mitigating solution
First I spread it out on a seedling mat with 1 layer of tissue then plastic bag on top
The weed warms up to say 25°-30°C and sweats the very last of any moisture out which condenses on the plastic sheet
Let it cool completely, then put it in a jar with butter, and place it in a pan of cold water and slowly heat it to simmering
I leave the lid slightly loose at first so it doesn't build up too much pressure - once it's hot, close the lid
I leave it simmering for 2-4 hrs with the extractor hood going above the hob
Finally, I pour it into a cafetiere with a cheesecloth over the filter and drain it into a butter dish, then wring the cheesecloth/product too
Works particularly well for a banana bread loaf as that will cook for another hour in the oven
There's pics in one of my journos, I'll dig it out if you're interested

Alternatively, water cure it before you cook it

Just don't trust glass.
Morning Azi. :ciao:
How are you doing today?

That's why choice of glass is important. Using canning jars should eliminate that risk, similar to using Pyrex. They're made to handle heat extremes.

Doing well, Bill. How are you?

That's why choice of glass is important. Using canning jars should eliminate that risk, similar to using Pyrex. They're made to handle heat extremes.

Doing well, Bill. How are you?
Good thanks Azi.
I've dropped and broken enough stuff to know not to trust my dexterity.
Good old tin never breaks. :thumb:
But done correctly your right as usual. :high-five:
Take care.

Good thanks Azi.
I've dropped and broken enough stuff to know not to trust my dexterity.
Good old tin never breaks. :thumb:
But done correctly your right as usual. :high-five:
Take care.

I like the glass canning jars because of the stealth issue. They can go loosely covered with the lid not tightened all the way in the oven or in an Instant Pot, or crock pot and the smell doesn't fill your space. That's an important factor for me. The lid can then float up if necesary to let some pressure out but there's not a constant hole open to the outside air. Once the pressure is relieved, the lid settles back down with the outer ring holding the line-up in place. It's like they were made for our application!

Just don't trust glass.
I was going to mention what @Azimuth brought up. Any quality canning jar is manufactured to handle heat and frequent use when handled under normal circumstances. The wife and I have been canning since we were married and I figure there is a chance that some of our garden produce we canned this weekend went into at least one jar that is 50 plus years old.

We are talking true canning jars and not any ol' jar which was used to hold some sauce or other food until it was bought. That glass is not necessarily tempered the way the canning jars are and those jars are pretty much a one time high temp use during the initial jarring process at the food processor only.

I understand your concern about the broken glass. Me, I figure that there is a better chance that I will be in an auto accident the next time I go to the supermarket than there is that a jar would break in the oven ;) .

And, I do put the weed in a square cake baking pan when I am 'decarbing' cause it is more convenient than going into the basement to get a jar from the root cellar:).

I was going to mention what @Azimuth brought up. Any quality canning jar is manufactured to handle heat and frequent use when handled under normal circumstances. The wife and I have been canning since we were married and I figure there is a chance that some of our garden produce we canned this weekend went into at least one jar that is 50 plus years old.

We are talking true canning jars and not any ol' jar which was used to hold some sauce or other food until it was bought. That glass is not necessarily tempered the way the canning jars are and those jars are pretty much a one time high temp use during the initial jarring process at the food processor only.

I understand your concern about the broken glass. Me, I figure that there is a better chance that I will be in an auto accident the next time I go to the supermarket than there is that a jar would break in the oven ;) .

And, I do put the weed in a square cake baking pan when I am 'decarbing' cause it is more convenient than going into the basement to get a jar from the root cellar:).
Unfortunately with my ballerina like dexterity there wouldn't be any 50 year old ones left.
I wasn't saying they couldn't do the job.
I didn't mean the heat or pressure was a problem.
Just an easier way to do volume for me. That's all.
Strictly my preference. :Namaste:
I just know how many I've broke and the less I handle them the better.
Already had to clean one up off the floor this harvest.
Thankfully it wasn't full.
Take care. :ciao:

Unfortunately with my ballerina like dexterity there wouldn't be any 50 year old ones left.
Ya, I am familiar with the same sort of dexterity with contributions from my wrists and elbows. And for whatever reason the glass jars do seem to want to jump out of our hands more often than plastic jars or metal cans;).

After going through the decarb step I put the weed into jars of coconut oil and leave those in the oven for hours and hours. My big worry is not breaking any of the jars. It is knocking one of more of them over. Since they do not have the lids on I would end up with a pint or more of the melted salve on the bottom of the oven or on the floor.

What I end up doing most of the time might also work for you. I put the jar in a cooking pot while in the oven. An oven mitt comes in handy when getting ready to take the jar out to reduce the chance of any kind of disaster.

Ya, I am familiar with the same sort of dexterity with contributions from my wrists and elbows. And for whatever reason the glass jars do seem to want to jump out of our hands more often than plastic jars or metal cans;).

After going through the decarb step I put the weed into jars of coconut oil and leave those in the oven for hours and hours. My big worry is not breaking any of the jars. It is knocking one of more of them over. Since they do not have the lids on I would end up with a pint or more of the melted salve on the bottom of the oven or on the floor.

What I end up doing most of the time might also work for you. I put the jar in a cooking pot while in the oven. An oven mitt comes in handy when getting ready to take the jar out to reduce the chance of any kind of disaster.

Thanks Smoke, :thanks:
Hope your doing well my friend. :high-five:
Take care.

Wow, love the conversation. So, I have been decarbing way too little. Thanks everyone.
You're not heating it anywhere near long enough. SweetSue has an InstantPot Thread where she details her method. Basically (2) 1h 50min cycles on high pressure with a long 8 hour cool down in between sessions.
I don’t see where she says 2 cycles. Did I miss it?

I don’t see where she says 2 cycles. Did I miss it?

it's further in the thread. a few of us do a double cook. it requires an 8hr cool down between. you get dimimnishing returns when doing more than 2 cooks. only a single or a double recommended.

Smoke,

What are you using for time and temps for your oven step?

What are you using for time and temps for your oven step?
Decarb is at 170 to 180 F for two to three hours. Not sure if it is right or wrong but when the smell of the weed heating up disappears I figure it has been in the oven long enough for that step.

Put the weed in the jar and add coconut oil. I set the oven to 180 to 185F. We turn off the oven at night so the mix is cooking for 8 to 12 hours and gets a chance to cool off. The next morning I turn the oven back on. Same temp and another 8-12 hours.

My notes are indicating that I have been settling on a total of 30 hours for the cooking of the oil and 'decarbed' weed.

Back
Top Bottom