Micro SoG in hydro or coco?

Crackpothead

420 Member
I'm want to do a small SoG grow and would like some advice if I should go hydro or coco in my small space.

The setup: I have a RQS Mimosa mother plant and will take cuttings for clones. In my flowering cabinet (~100x45x45 cm) I will give the clones a week to root and then switch to 12/12. I have a plastic bin that is 15x30x30 cm (roughly the size of two shoe boxes together) and will plant six clones in netpots/rockwool or I have six 1 gallon (4l) grow bags that I could use with coco perlite.

I would prefer to do this in the bin but my past attempts at hydro resulted in enormous plants that outgrew my grow space. I'm hoping by doing SoG and 12/12 from wk2, I can get all the benefits of hydro while keeping the vertical growth minimal and plant energy focused on bud production.

My main worry is the roots growth in the bin. It's a small bin especially for six plants but I would like to limit the root growth to keep the plants short but at the same time give them all the oxygen and nutes they need to produce nice buds.

Will the clones' roots go crazy and take up the whole bin or do clones show mild root growth in hydro in particular when put under a 12/12 regime from wk2? I know with cocos, smaller containers limit growth but is this true in hydro or will I just choke my small container with a huge rootball (and is that bad as long as they get water, air and food?)? If the roots go nuts in this micro hydro set up, can I trim them? What happens if you trim roots in a hydro grow especially during flowering?

Thanks for your advice.

they'll go nuts in the hydro. your roots will always expand to fill whatever size res they are in. try a different grow method or media if you go with sog. hydro is better suited to scrog.

there's a couple perpetual sog growers here who run dozens of plants at a throw in larger solo cups. do a search.

Hey Buddy :ciao:Love a SOG.:yahoo:
Let's go through your questions.
I'm want to do a small SoG grow and would like some advice if I should go hydro or coco in my small space.
If you run coco it needs fed full strength nutrients daily.
Can be difficult in a Sog, given space and amount of work.
Do you have the space and time?
The setup: I have a RQS Mimosa mother plant and will take cuttings for clones. In my flowering cabinet (~100x45x45 cm) I will give the clones a week to root and then switch to 12/12. I have a plastic bin that is 15x30x30 cm (roughly the size of two shoe boxes together) and will plant six clones in netpots/rockwool or I have six 1 gallon (4l) grow bags that I could use with coco perlite.
I've flowered girls in small pots in coco.
@NickHardy does it consistently.
you need to feed 2 mabey 3 times a day but its very productive.
A auto watering system is very beneficial in this set up.
I would prefer to do this in the bin but my past attempts at hydro resulted in enormous plants that outgrew my grow space. I'm hoping by doing SoG and 12/12 from wk2, I can get all the benefits of hydro while keeping the vertical growth minimal and plant energy focused on bud production.
How much height do you have? Top of the pots to the bottom of the lights?
My main worry is the roots growth in the bin. It's a small bin especially for six plants but I would like to limit the root growth to keep the plants short but at the same time give them all the oxygen and nutes they need to produce nice buds.
Roots will fill the space they have, given enough time.
Sog is typically the fastest way to flower girls and generally speaking the least root bound method.
Will the clones' roots go crazy and take up the whole bin or do clones show mild root growth in hydro in particular when put under a 12/12 regime from wk2?
Roots will fill that bin, doubt they will have time to outgrow though.
I know with cocos, smaller containers limit growth but is this true in hydro or will I just choke my small container with a huge rootball (and is that bad as long as they get water, air and food?)? If the roots go nuts in this micro hydro set up, can I trim them? What happens if you trim roots in a hydro grow especially during flowering?
Never did it myself in hydro purposely.
I've broken off roots in flower without any noticeable effects.
Thanks for your advice.
Personally I'd go coco.
I layer my pots to retain air in the coco and never had a root bound pot ever.
@Bill284 Method in all my threads but Heaven's Shores has the most pictorials.
I'm always available if I can help or answer anymore questions.
Take care.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

When I run a SoG it's in 3L pots of coco which keeps the size manageable
When you think about it, SoG is all about bud/pot footprint, and you can aim for 1oz/L of coco
As soon as the clones are rooted, I repot them and flip immediately; nearly all growth is solid cola
If you stand the pots in one large tray you can water the tray 1" and work it like a SIP so long as you can keep RH in check

My flowering space is a little over 1 meter (a yard) in height and the hydro bin is 15-20cm so that leaves 80cms for lights and plants. With fiber pots I’d says less maybe 70-75cms.

you can do it as long as you time it well. i'd look into a scrog if you stay hydro. it'll be fewer plants with a longer veg time but will net similar or even bigger weights.

Back
Top Bottom