Mobile App: Photo Uploading Issue & Website Upgrades

From what I can tell, the website will be fully device adaptive, yes? So if I'm on a mobile device, I'll get 'mobile friendly' views of the website. If it's kind of like how it is now when I currently go from webview to the gallery, and the 'views' I get are different (and phone friendly) to what the desktop version looks like, that will be fine. It's fairly intuitive. And we'll all be able to help each other get around it I'm sure. :thumb:

And kudos for a bloody entertaining situation update. :goodjob: :passitleft: Thanks for all! It sounds like it's been a busy couple of weeks in the 420 offices. Have fun with the overhaul :rollit::rollit::rollit:

From what I can tell, the website will be fully device adaptive, yes? So if I’m on a mobile device, I’ll get ‘mobile friendly’ views of the website. If it’s kind of like how it is now when I currently go from webview to the gallery, and the ‘views’ I get are different (and phone friendly) to what the desktop version looks like, that will be fine. It’s fairly intuitive. And we’ll all be able to help each other get around it I’m sure. :thumb:

And kudos for a bloody entertaining situation update. :goodjob: :passitleft: Thanks for all! It sounds like it’s been a busy couple of weeks in the 420 offices. Have fun with the overhaul :rollit::rollit::rollit:

That is correct :thanks:

Facebook/Disqus, however it's still not connected with your forum account, YET. Something that has been driving me crazy for a decade, we are finally going to close that rabbit hole, once and for all.

You look at the concept of connecting one's 420 Magazine account with either of those two entities as a good thing?

A year ago I didn't know the website existed, I still learn new things about it everyday, hell I couldn't even figure out how to vote in a contest from my cell phone. I think the changes that you guys are discussing sound like Steps in the right direction and I'm looking forward to seeing the new "420 mag". I surely love the idea of being part of the best 420 site..... As you put it. I'm also looking forward to exploring parts of the website that I still don't even know exists...... Great job to everyone behind the scenes!!!!.

An entire day? .☹️ I'm not even having issues . hopefully the change is for the best.

Not a fan of mobile browser forums so we will see.

I know..... Inside my head the startled voice went " a WHOLE DAY??" :thedoubletake: Then I thought "Oh....a day off!" :cheesygrinsmiley:

You guys are the best. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: There may be other sites, but we all know from experience there aren't better. :circle-of-love:

I've been working on desktop on both devices from the beginning, so it's the speed I'll appreciate. You guys know I appreciate everything you do to keep our playground safe and fun. :battingeyelashes: I look forward to the learning curve. :slide:

I keep hearing that forums are fading out, but I don't see evidence of that here. What makes us so different?

I know..... Inside my head the startled voice went " a WHOLE DAY??" :thedoubletake: Then I thought "Oh....a day off!" :cheesygrinsmiley:

You guys are the best. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: There may be other sites, but we all know from experience there aren't better. :circle-of-love:

I've been working on desktop on both devices from the beginning, so it's the speed I'll appreciate. You guys know I appreciate everything you do to keep our playground safe and fun. :battingeyelashes: I look forward to the learning curve. :slide:

I keep hearing that forums are fading out, but I don't see evidence of that here. What makes us so different?

The lack of drama for one, the willingness to help others, and the staff who understands and informs us when we have made an error such as me posting a video that was off topic here recently.

Plus I think here we have people who truly love growing and not all about ego.

I'm cautiously optimistic. It's just... My cognitive function really seems to be <BLEEP!> these days. Picture trying to teach an 80-year old - who hasn't slept for a few days (and is drunk) - who has never even touched a computer, how to download a linux distro .ISO, burn it to DVD / flash drive / etc., then install it, then boot and learn how to use his/her new OS.

Okay, not quite that bad. But where before I could wonder how to do a thing, then search for the documentation that explained every facet, learn it on first read, then go do it and even expand on it... Now I end up pestering someone into providing things that I can cut & paste into the terminal window. And I often screw that up.

Aside from that, I have trouble envisioning something that looks and functions great on a tiny little screen - on a device that uses a touchscreen in lieu of a keyboard - having the same awesome functionality that this forum has always had on a desktop/laptop. Unless it will be able to determine which type of device that the user is accessing from (either automatically or via manual selection), and presents itself differently for each. I still type ; ) ( ;) ) , : rolleyes3 ( :rolleyes3 ), etc. when I add a smiley to my posts. I like being able to see the main forum list that shows the most recent post in each section. I love jumping to one of those sections and being able to hover my mouse cursor over a thread title and have the first bit of text in its first post display automatically. I don't even often use the multi-quote function, to be honest with you. For me, opening each post (that I wish to respond to) in a separate browser tab so that I can cut/paste/edit to my heart's content before posting the (hopefully correctly created) reply. That's probably not the way others do it, but it works for me.

For that matter, I still wish that we had the ability to place web links between a pair of CODE tags so that they'd not be live links (things in CODE tags cannot be executed, lol - it's made for displaying programming code so it doesn't get reformatted/mangled, basically). But other than that... Okay, sure, I "hang out" instead of other cannabis-related websites due to the fact that I never see constant attacking, flame wars, that kind of crap. And because the server is NOT located in the US. And because it's not a Cloudflare website.

But I visit as often as I do because the forum "mechanics" just work so well for me. It's both simple and straightforward. There aren't a bunch of popups, animation, social website intrusion crap, et cetera. My CPU does not suddenly become a heater, lol.

It's a perfect combination - best group of people I can imagine... and the best forum software on the planet.

So... Yes, there is a bit of trepidation involved when I read about a major change coming. I'm a "function over form" kind of guy.

Re: Mobile App: Photo Uploading Issue & Website Upgrades

I am very optimistic indeed

I know the struggles that have been going on for the crew working the web swap, and the challenges of the Mobil app developers not giving us help
I use my phone for many things, and those if us who do, realize the benefits it gives us. I can be in my outside garden or pool and check on a notification.
We also know that most wedsites have Mobil views, not an actual application to view them . Most are stripped down version of the website and that is perfect. I hate trying to view a full website on my phone....lol
I know Mr 420 is very frustrated with the last few months, and is also very excited of what the future holds for us all here
I'm excited to see how it goes, I miss posting pics...and can't wait for it all to be dialed in

Those of you using the mobile app and unable to use the full functionality of the forum (without expending the heroic effort of making a few taps to access the forum via your browser instead of a dedicated app :rolleyes3 ) have my sympathies. Choosing a developer in China to create the mobile app... probably wasn't the best idea, lol.

Shame it wasn't done in some kind of open source way. Not only would the code have been available for peer review (and potential help with patching, if an issue occurred that the developer was either slow to respond to or having trouble solving) for security/safety purposes, but if you decided that you didn't like the way the app was headed, you could just take the last version that you did like and fork it in the direction you wanted.

Probably save "a few" bucks that way, too. That's if the community of knowledgeable people (I no longer count myself qualified to be in that group, lol) stepped up, of course. But that usually happens with a varied enough - and large enough - community, and assuming the... content is considered to be of high enough quality to be worth giving back some time for.

Those of you using the mobile app and unable to use the full functionality of the forum (without expending the heroic effort of making a few taps to access the forum via your browser instead of a dedicated app :rolleyes3 ) have my sympathies. Choosing a developer in China to create the mobile app... probably wasn't the best idea, lol.

Shame it wasn't done in some kind of open source way. Not only would the code have been available for peer review (and potential help with patching, if an issue occurred that the developer was either slow to respond to or having trouble solving) for security/safety purposes, but if you decided that you didn't like the way the app was headed, you could just take the last version that you did like and fork it in the direction you wanted.

Probably save "a few" bucks that way, too. That's if the community of knowledgeable people (I no longer count myself qualified to be in that group, lol) stepped up, of course. But that usually happens with a varied enough - and large enough - community, and assuming the... content is considered to be of high enough quality to be worth giving back some time for.

I'm the dude that can't use the couple taps to open web view. Not because I'm lazy and don't know how. But because web view literally takes 10 minutes a page to load. Idk why but the app is lightning fast. I have hardly any reception at my house. Also note that lightning fast here, means taking 1:30 to upload a picture via app. Lol I couldn't even imagine how long it would take in web view. I know it would take at least 10 minutes just to get to the spot to upload. Lol. So it's not that I don't want to use web view. I would love to as there are way more features available. However. I can't where I live. And if I have to flip through 5 pages on the browser. Well. Count me out lol it would take an hour to visit a journal. But I'm optimistic. And I'm optimistic that service st my house will improve. 2 years ago it didn't exist at all. I had to drive down the road ten miles. So we're advancing just like everything else

Re: Mobile App: Photo Uploading Issue &amp; Website Upgrades

But currently web view isn't designed with a mob view
Ya know like say NFL. com it sees yer a phone and adds the NFL.com /mobile to it
Thus it's a lesser version of the main Website, faster, easier

But because web view literally takes 10 minutes a page to load.

Huh. I grabbed my OLD $25 cell phone (inactive), turned the WiFi on, and "typed" in the address for the main forum page. Then started counting, "One thousand, two thousand..." And got to nine thousand when the page finished loading.

I assume my more modern (but still about three years old and "value-level") cell phone would be faster - but it's actually activated with a carrier, therefore in my name and I have more sense than to use it to access a cannabis website, lol.

Sounds like your issue is with whatever entity your cell phone uses to access the forum.

Idk why but the app is lightning fast.

Different access method? Has lots of things preloaded (talking about the forum structure and such)? You happen to be lucky enough that your carrier hasn't (yet ;) ) realized it's accessing content which the federales do not approve of? You've allowed your cell phone's web browser to "catch" more viruses than Windows does, LMAO?

I have hardly any reception at my house.

Cellular reception, you mean? No non-cellular Internet access, either, I take it? Try enabling WiFi anyway, maybe you have neighbors who are as dumb as mine and don't know that they can change their wireless routers' default passwords.

If YOUR neighbors have two brain cells to rub together, I could dig up plans for several different WiFi antennas - up to and including one that uses a 12' satellite dish, if you happen to be halfway up a mountain 75 miles from the nearest connection. But you'd have to set up a relay so that you could then connect to that with your phone. One of (the very many) downsides of using a cell phone as a laptop/desktop substitute is that you cannot simply plug $22 worth of cheap Chinese USB WiFi device into it.

Huh. I grabbed my OLD $25 cell phone (inactive), turned the WiFi on, and "typed" in the address for the main forum page. Then started counting, "One thousand, two thousand..." And got to nine thousand when the page finished loading.

I assume my more modern (but still about three years old and "value-level") cell phone would be faster - but it's actually activated with a carrier, therefore in my name and I have more sense than to use it to access a cannabis website, lol.

Sounds like your issue is with whatever entity your cell phone uses to access the forum.

Different access method? Has lots of things preloaded (talking about the forum structure and such)? You happen to be lucky enough that your carrier hasn't (yet ;) ) realized it's accessing content which the federales do not approve of? You've allowed your cell phone's web browser to "catch" more viruses than Windows does, LMAO?

Cellular reception, you mean? No non-cellular Internet access, either, I take it? Try enabling WiFi anyway, maybe you have neighbors who are as dumb as mine and don't know that they can change their wireless routers' default passwords.

If YOUR neighbors have two brain cells to rub together, I could dig up plans for several different WiFi antennas - up to and including one that uses a 12' satellite dish, if you happen to be halfway up a mountain 75 miles from the nearest connection. But you'd have to set up a relay so that you could then connect to that with your phone. One of (the very many) downsides of using a cell phone as a laptop/desktop substitute is that you cannot simply plug $22 worth of cheap Chinese USB WiFi device into it.

Lol I have no neighbors. And cable internet is nonexistent in my neck of the woods. Hughes net is only option it's expensive and has severe data limits. I use wireless data. It's my ONLY option

Lol I have no neighbors. And cable internet is nonexistent in my neck of the woods. Hughes net is only option it's expensive and has severe data limits. I use wireless data. It's my ONLY option
Feel your pain rooster. Till about a year ago our only available connection was hughesnet. Now we're with the times with a DSL modem. :Facepalm. But it sure is pretty here haha.

You look at the concept of connecting one's 420 Magazine account with either of those two entities as a good thing?

Depends on who you are; you absolutely not. The other 420 million people who use Facebook and consume/grow legally without fear, yes. :thumb:

Thought we were going to remain optimistic here and talk about the positive things coming? :circle-of-love:

I’m the dude that can’t use the couple taps to open web view. Not because I’m lazy and don’t know how. But because web view literally takes 10 minutes a page to load. Idk why but the app is lightning fast. I have hardly any reception at my house. Also note that lightning fast here, means taking 1:30 to upload a picture via app. Lol I couldn’t even imagine how long it would take in web view. I know it would take at least 10 minutes just to get to the spot to upload. Lol. So it’s not that I don’t want to use web view. I would love to as there are way more features available. However. I can’t where I live. And if I have to flip through 5 pages on the browser. Well. Count me out lol it would take an hour to visit a journal. But I’m optimistic. And I’m optimistic that service st my house will improve. 2 years ago it didn’t exist at all. I had to drive down the road ten miles. So we’re advancing just like everything else

It could also have to do with the old forum & gallery software, so let's see what happens first and then take it from there. :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom