Mold during drying - Help save my 12 ounces

Strykr

Recently got done with a grow, no visible mold during growth. I cut them and they have been drying with no issues I though, recently discovered a tiny bit of mold inside a nug. I went through it all and only found one other nug with visible mold after cutting the larger one into smaller sections.

I laid out my bud in front of my fan on paper plates and separated any bad ones I could find from the rest. I realize the spores are already on other buds but if I dry this stuff out asap is there any hope? If I lose 12 ounces I am going to be heartbroken, especially before Christmas. 3 months for nothing.

I've never had any mold issues until now.

I would love a little insight into this, would really appreciate it :/

Don't panic. You'll be fine :thumb: The mold/bud rot only lives in moist conditions. You're probably in the clear by now. As was said, just spread them out and dry a bit more. No need to overdo the drying- just keep a close eye on them. It's happened to me a few times when I was careless and didn't check closely enough.
The main trick is to examine the buds carefully because the rot lurks in the center near the stem. It can be hard to spot, but you can generally feel it because it turns the affected area (usually the center) wet and slimy feeling.
If you have a hygrometer in your curing jar to show the relative humidity, that's handy. RH should be below 70 for sure. Around 60 is about right for cured bud, roughly.

And- sometimes if in doubt, and I'm finding possible widespread mold, I will break my larger buds up. It almost always gets the big buds first, and I'd rather have small good buds than large moldy buds any day. Good luck!

thank you very much! Do you think it would help leaving my hats downstairs in a could climate for a week or 2 in the cure?

Would temps in the 50s/60s be too cool or would it not really help much anyhow?

Can you repeat that? I assume the bit about the hats is a typo? Do you mean - can you cure your buds in low temps? I keep mine in a back room which is around 60 most of the time. I don't really know how it affects cure. I know the mold does well in cooler temperatures, but as I said, it won't grow in dry conditions, so it's not a concern as long as your bud is dry before starting the cure. If I get mine evenly dried and the humidity in the jar below 60 RH ( at room temp) I haven't had any mold issues after that even if temps were low.

Ok cool. Read up a little about drying and curing, and grab a hygrometer or three for your curing jars, there are all kinds out there and they're cheap. Money well spent. You also don't want to over dry your bud.
Mold thrives in the grow in conditions of high humidity, and low temps help it thrive. To my knowledge though, it can't live at all in dry conditions, and I don't see it returning as long as you get the bud dried well. 12 ounces is worth a lot of tlc, as I'm sure you're well aware.

Ended up letting my bud dry overnight and its feeling pretty crispy tonight. I ended up jarring it about 5 hours ago with my hygrometer and its sitting at 48-50%. So there will be no cure with this weed, but I "flushed" it and only watered it for 3 weeks before harvest so it's not really harsh anyhow.

I've cured before with prior harvests and never had an issue with mold, hopefully I learned my lesson here and the 48% humidity keeps it from spreading.

Back
Top Bottom