My First Grow... Afgan x Mazar

thanks for the good words, grow buddy, haha. just 3 months till harvest! haha

Update:

Not a ton of progress, i guess that's cuz I didn't prep the soil for the seedlings as well as I should have. The seedlings have been messing around with me. I'm just gonna take a hands off approach for the next few days, just till the thing actually sprouts leaves and gets it's roots firmly planted. I wish I would have done a better job preping the soil for the seeds. Two of the plants really want to get positioned and sprouted, but the third, one of the AxM, isn't showing much progress... i guess i'll update thursday or friday when i have more news and pics.

So, here's the story. Today we had some stable growth :) the hands off approach seems to be working. From now on the plants are numbered, #1 and #2 being AfganxMazar and #3 being the bagweed. #2 and #3 are the good growers, they're standing up and kicking off their seed shells. #1 is slow and still seems to be germinating, though it could just be dead. if I see no improvement within a week, It will go and I'll just have the other two. I'm a little behind in schedule compared to the "failed attempt". I just have to chalk it up to poor soil preparation. Hopefully the plants will take off quickly now.
Photo_182.jpg

Also, I only really have approx 2' of space to grow tall, is there a way to limit the size of the plant, but still have a decent bud weight in the end? I want to start thinking about this so I will be ready when the time comes. remember, the box is 2'x2'x3' tall, it's really not a lot of room, but it's all I have.

Yes to limit the vertical height, use a lot of side light, and also begin training them as they reach about the 3rd or 4th branch high. I begin to FIM them even a bit earlier than that sometimes, but my growing technique is unusual. Once you figure this technique out, you'll have a little bush instead of a tall lanky thing.

thanks guys,

first off, what is FIM? secondly, #2 and #3 are doing fine, first set of real leaves, pretty short right now, but i'm sure they'll stretch and grow. again, keeping to the hands off approach until this weekend. #1, one of my AxM, isn't doing jacksh*t right now. lol, i think it's either a slow grower (can't have that, i'm on a time table here) or it failed to germinate properly. Worst case scenario, the plant is gone this weekend, and 2 and 3 get to hog the light!

Magic: As far as trying to make them bushy, I have side lights, if you look at the overall grow closet pictured on the first page. I'm just wondering if I should switch to flowering early to stunt height and learn gender faster. Also, what do u mean by training? I haven't heard a lot about training other than LST.

other than that stuff, it's all good :rollit:

Hoi there

I wanna give you a tip i think you will find usefull in the future:
Remember to take a lot of pics (even if you dont postem here) and keep a growlog for your own reference, it will help you a lot in your next grow, my first grow i only had a log on nirvana forums and not on my own comp. All of a sudden the forum was down and my log was gone and i dont remember details about the grow, was a year ago. Would be so nice to see what i did wrong and use as a reference.

I wanted bushy my last grow, did LST, its very easy and gives good results.

:peace:

hopin for ssum pics soon :)

I really like the sound of doing LST, but i'm not sure if that's really what i want to do on my first grow. We'll see

Well im about week and a half before you, i can do LST on a couple and show lots of pics to describe it in my log, to show you how easy it is. But you decide, i gona do it anyway so might aswell show you step by step.
Not that im a pro but anybody can do it:)

thanks insider, i probably won't do it, but at least i'll know how to do it later! ;)

my germination technique is this dude:

acquire seeds. germinate by simply using red plastic 'solo' cups (20 oz.) with 5 nail holes in the bottom filled all the way up with dirt. place your seed directly in the center of the cup and push it into the soil just a little bit...less than a fingernail length. add a dash of dirt to cover the seed, water with 1/2 cup of water per seed, stick the cups under the sink, and check them 4 days later.

if i were in your position, this is what i would try to do with your space/lighting.

mount all your lights above the plants, but keep them adjustable. stick the newborns under 24 hour light (from above only for now) for about 2 weeks, switch to 12/12 for as long as it takes to start seeing gender.

NO NUTRIENTS USED UP UNTIL THIS POINT

immediately put your best looking female(s) back to vegetative state by changing your light timing to at least 18 hours of light, transplant to a 2-3 gallon container, and veg until you can start taking clones.

once you have clones that are 2 weeks old and healthy, get some netting suitable for the SCoG technique mounted at 15"-17" above soil level, veg for 20-30 days while training your clones through the screen, and flower again 12/12 light cycle until it's time to harvest, trimming fan leaves as you see fit, or you can just rely on SCoG FAQs.

given the small space you have to work with, and reading a bunch of journals and faq's on here, I think this to be a superior method of achieving the most weight for your space, without the hassle of LST'ing your little ones.

i was stoned as shit while i wrote this so please feel free to correct me if i missed something, or am just plain wrong.

my germination technique is this dude:

acquire seeds. germinate by simply using red plastic 'solo' cups (20 oz.) with 5 nail holes in the bottom filled all the way up with dirt. place your seed directly in the center of the cup and push it into the soil just a little bit...less than a fingernail length. add a dash of dirt to cover the seed, water with 1/2 cup of water per seed, stick the cups under the sink, and check them 4 days later.

if i were in your position, this is what i would try to do with your space/lighting.

mount all your lights above the plants, but keep them adjustable. stick the newborns under 24 hour light (from above only for now) for about 2 weeks, switch to 12/12 for as long as it takes to start seeing gender.

NO NUTRIENTS USED UP UNTIL THIS POINT

immediately put your best looking female(s) back to vegetative state by changing your light timing to at least 18 hours of light, transplant to a 2-3 gallon container, and veg until you can start taking clones.

once you have clones that are 2 weeks old and healthy, get some netting suitable for the SCoG technique mounted at 15"-17" above soil level, veg for 20-30 days while training your clones through the screen, and flower again 12/12 light cycle until it's time to harvest, trimming fan leaves as you see fit, or you can just rely on SCoG FAQs.

given the small space you have to work with, and reading a bunch of journals and faq's on here, I think this to be a superior method of achieving the most weight for your space, without the hassle of LST'ing your little ones.

i was stoned as shit while i wrote this so please feel free to correct me if i missed something, or am just plain wrong.

Thanks man, great advice!

I'm really not looking to do clones, or anything advanced this time around. my structure is temporary, and i'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. I've never even seen a full grown plant in real life. I just want to grow mine normally, no real tricks. just so that I can get the basics down. everyone keeps giving me awesome, yet advanced advice, haha. I am gonna switch to 12/12 from 19/5 once the plants get ~ 8" high so i know the gender. hopefully i can find that out before the end of Feb, cuz I'm going away for the first week of March and I just kinda want to water really well, and then walk away for a week and allow to grow, like they were outside... we'll see

If you make 1/3 of your soil mix coco coir, you should be able to use a drip system while you are gone without drowning them. That's my plan when I go to Europe this spring. I am going to test it before I trust it though....

If you make 1/3 of your soil mix coco coir, you should be able to use a drip system while you are gone without drowning them. That's my plan when I go to Europe this spring. I am going to test it before I trust it though....

i haven't heard of the "drip system", anyone care to explain? The only hands off watering system I know of and might be able to do is a wick system

Okay, so a bunch of you have been clamoring for new pix of the grow. I officially tossed #1 cuz there was nearly no progress, even in germination. I probably screwed it up, or it wasn't strong enough to begin with. either way, the weaklings get cut. So now I have 2 and 3 growing steadily under the one 2700 lumen light that bends down from the top (look at overall grow closet in earlier pix). Everything seems to be going fine, so now I just gotta wait a little while until the first real leaves really expand. they're there now, just really small. I'll update with pix again when they are expanded.
Photo_192.jpg

Hoi
Looks good, only thing too keep an eye on now is if they start to stretch. We gona flower about the same time :) i have 18th feb in my calendar.

Drip systems come in many forms, but they basically just drip a little water on the soil drop by drop. They can even be put on a digital timer so they only come on for a minute or two every hour, depending on what the plants actually need.

Drip systems come in many forms, but they basically just drip a little water on the soil drop by drop. They can even be put on a digital timer so they only come on for a minute or two every hour, depending on what the plants actually need.

Nice, sounds like a good idea, i'll keep that in mind....

Hoi
Looks good, only thing too keep an eye on now is if they start to stretch. We gona flower about the same time :) i have 18th feb in my calendar.

hahah, ur right my grow buddy, i'm planning on switching on the 21st!

I don't have an exact date set, but that's probably fairly close to when I'll be ready to throw mine 12/12. My biggest plant is taking off like a rocket. Might be even sooner than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom