My first grow in a wardrobe

I guess i havent really thought the cloning part through. But it makes sense to beeing able to use the whole wardrobe for flowering.

Ahh yes, that makes sense. Thanks alot for taking the time to explain these things for me. Im sealing my wardrobe now so that no air or light will get in/out where i dont want it to. Takes a bit more time then I had thought.

I would say for now just worry about this grow and if it comes on nicely which i'm sure it will you would have plenty of time to build another small box and maybe start germinating and growing some new seedlings about a month before your first grow is going to be ready then you can just swap them over and do the same when the 2nd lot is nearly done. Just buy seeds every time that's what i'm going to do, to do clones propperly you would really be looking at 3 area's motherplant, clones, flowering.

Is the back of your wardrobe solid or that thin bendy type wood? because mine had the thin stuff which i had to put extra support on because the extractor fan will create negative pressure causing the bendy wood to be sucked in a bit.

Those are two very good points. I will just worry about this grow first. No reason to get ahead of myself.

And yes, unfortunately the back of my wardrobe consists of that flimsy bendy kind. And it makes alot of sense that will be sucked in.

What kind of support did you use? My first thought is just to put a few boards straight across on the inside. But maybe you figured something better out?

I just used a few lengths of wood horizontally on the out side of the wardrobe. Also something to think about is that a carbon filter is very heavy so depending on how strong your wardrobe is it might need a support bar across the top to hang the filter, if you don't mind try and get a photo of your wardrobe up when you get a chance. I can help you alot better then.

This is what I plan on using for intakes. I want to put it as close a possible to the side wall though, so part of the pipe will be sticking out on the outside. I want to put some kind of filter on one side of it, but Im still not sure what to use.

I just picked up all of the growing equipment:allgood: The only thing missing now is seeds. It is a toss-up between White Widow and Powr Plant, both from Dutch Passion. Can't decide..

I think i screwed the flimsy bit to the lengths of wood behind. If stealth is not a issue then you could let the pipe do it's turning outside of the wardrobe to save a bit of room but as long as you can get it so you can space 2 pots resembly far apart you will be ok.

For a filter try and find a very fine mesh that would collect dust, a fine silk or even cut some womens tights :)

Hmm power plant is slightly harder to grow than white widow and you have to work to keep the height down but if you do it right it's a big yielder! i would highly reccomend both, flip a coin maybe :)

Have you got a ph pen, reservoir, air pump, (maybe a small tank heater) ph up or down solution (depending on your water) spray bottle, tweezers (for delicately putting germinated seeds in the root riot cubes) day/night thermometer/hygrometer... just trying to make sure you havn't forgot any of the easy to forget things.

Yeah, I think I will probably put support on the backside of the closet aswell and fasten it to the flimsy part. I need all the room I can get in the inside.

Womens tights will be perfect. You are pretty creative :)

I have got all the stuff you mentioned except for a reservoir and a tank heater, dont think I will bother with a tank heater for now. But i guess you could use pretty much anything for a reservoir.

So the plan is to put the seeds directly under the 250w mh. I didn't bother getting a cfl. Im not sure if I should put the seeds inside of a propagator under that bulb?

Also I have another strain-contender. "The Ultimate", also by Dutch Passion. Have you heard anything about it? Either way I will not get the seeds until the middle of next week at the earliest.

Do you have a problem with sound from air rushing through your ducts?

One thing I was thinking about though is how to keep the heat up during the "night-hours" when the light is shut off. After a little while i guess the temp inside the closet will be the same as the room outside, where it is sucking the air from. So is 21-22 degrees celcius enough during that time?

Hello again my friend, a tank heater is not vital when growing indoors as long as the ambient temp of your home is at least 18 degrees celcius. I would'nt use a propagator at all for seeds you can risk damping off (a type of mold) i would stay away from propagators unless dealing with clones.

No way, I was looking at the ultimate just yesteday and decided I will be growing that next :) every word of the write up for it convinced me!! i think you should pick this strain then we will be growing the same strain at roughly the same time.

Yes i do have sound issues and will be trying to sort them out for my next grow. I will get some insulated ducting which helps and maybe build a box around my extractor fan and stuff it with insulation then suspend the box from bungee cords to further dampen the vibrations. the biggest problem for me is the noise the air makes gushing out of the vent of my house so I will need to address that aswell. I do have the fan on as low speed as possible when temps alow me to.

21-22 degrees celcious is fine but if that is your temps at night then you have alot hotter weather than i do! a good idea is to run your light shedule through the night when it's on 18/6 it can go through the night and part of the day giving you plenty of time to work with your plants and when there on 12/12 i run mine so they turn on at 7pm and off at 7am. By the sounds of your temps you will be battling with heat with a 400 in that little wardrobe so you will have little choice but to run your light shedule through the night.

hello fellow growers , i've been reading your whole thread here today, and was wondering the total cost of your setup ? ,and also to show you my wardrobe grow ,, I'm using 3 cfl's in it ,I vegged with 2--65=300 full spectrum 6500k , and 1--23=100 fullspec,6500k , for 8 weeks from seed , then changed to 2--60=250watt 2700K ,and 1--23=100 2700K ,,and they have been flowering for 20 days now ..the opening on my wardrobe is 4 feet wide ,and 5 ft. tall ,.so I had to add a 2nd level as ya can see in the pic ..to get the lights up higher,if ya get bored , go to my gallery and chk out my other CFL grows..:tokin: ...sorry if i ramble ,,I'm buzzed
june_22_001.JPG
june_22_002.JPG

DrTent: Good tips for the light-cycles. I think the 21-22 degrees at night was exaggerated, I don't have a thermometer in there yet, so it was just a rough guess.

"The Ultimate" it is then, it is settled!

My plan is also to push the air out of a small vent in the wall to the apartmentbuilding. Im hoping it will not make too much sound. Do you have any ideas on how to solve that?

Im getting insulated ducting and going to hang the fan up in bungee cords.

sfw88: I will probably have spent around 1000-1100 euros i total, everything included. That is with the wardrobe aswell.

Hi mate...I grew in a wardrobe before.. Basic setup, 400w mh/ and hps, fans, venting and a soil grow.. 1 plant 5 foot, yield 8oz nice tops plus smaller buds.. Could have gone 2 but first run was a solo to see results. As long as you have ur ph meters and heat/humidity ones, just make sure its kept at suitable temp, watered with required amount of nutes and got air circulation and you should be fine.. That setup is similar to mine, but my light is on a track to move left/right up /down like the sun, and i didnt use any carbon as i have adequate ventilation to dissapate the smell. Happy growing;)

It does make a fair amount of noise when venting outside, thats something i need to work on next grow. I know you can get silencers but not sure exactly how they work. How close will people get to the vent?

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I should have everything up and running by the end of this week. I sent back my fan and I have ordered another model. The one I sent back had a really annoying "buzzing" sound when you dimmed it.

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I should have everything up and running by the end of this week. I sent back my fan and I have ordered another model. The one I sent back had a really annoying "buzzing" sound when you dimmed it.
make sure ,if your gonna use a dimmer on the fan , that you get one made to work on electric motors , not lights ,, I do believe there's a difference .could be the cause of the buzzing..just sayin:tokin:

Hello again Greandream, have you got a picture or a link to the fanspeed controller you have? like sfw88 said it might be the fan speed controller to blame for the buzzing. I have had 2 identical fan speed controllers running 2 different fans before and 1 would make a strange humming noise and the other didn't??

Did you buy that wardrobe specifically to grow in?

Have you thought of exactly how you are going to germinate your seeds yet?

Thanks for your input guys.

Yes, I bought this wardrobe just to grow in.

This is the fan that I sent back:
Prima Klima 125mm Temp controlled | Brit Crops

The controller is built on to the fan, but I read alot of people complaining about the same "buzzing" sound with that fan and it just seems like its the way its built.

I orderded this fan and this controller now instead:
TD-SILENT Acoustic Inline Mixed Flow Duct Fan - Just Fans Ltd
Transformer (Silent) Fan Controllers - Just Fans Ltd

I also got some insulated ducting.

About germination.. I have read alot of different perspectives on what is the best way. But I think I will first put the seeds in a glass of water for 24 hours (is that too long?) then after that in some wet paper towels in a sealed container. I will keep it like this for a few days while opening it now and then to keep the paper wet. Please tell me if you think there is a better way.

Did you put any thought into getting a grow tent? i don't blame you for sending that fan back it shouldn't be doing that as it's a all in 1 unit.

I would definitely recomend putting them in a glass of water first but not for 24 hours. dutch passion seeds can germinate very quick i have had a few crack open in the glass of water after 24 hours, they were fine but it isn't ideal i found about 12-18 to be a good time.
What i did after i took them out the water is put them in paper towels like you said but on a small plate propped up at a slight angle so excess warter can drain off, i had the plate covered with cling film but with about a 10% gap at one end to let some air in. I have had 100% germination rate doing it this way and i also used bottled water ph adjusted to 6, you have to have every thing sterile when dealing with germination.

Back
Top Bottom