My first grow in a wardrobe

Did you put any thought into getting a grow tent? i don't blame you for sending that fan back it shouldn't be doing that as it's a all in 1 unit.

I would definitely recomend putting them in a glass of water first but not for 24 hours. dutch passion seeds can germinate very quick i have had a few crack open in the glass of water after 24 hours, they were fine but it isn't ideal i found about 12-18 to be a good time.
What i did after i took them out the water is put them in paper towels like you said but on a small plate propped up at a slight angle so excess warter can drain off, i had the plate covered with cling film but with about a 10% gap at one end to let some air in. I have had 100% germination rate doing it this way and i also used bottled water ph adjusted to 6, you have to have every thing sterile when dealing with germination.

I did consider getting a grow tent, but I put a priority on the wardrobe beeing more stealthy. A grow tent is a bit harder to get away with.

I will try the germinationmethod above. It makes sense. Im only planning on growing 2 plants, but I should probably try to germinate all 5 anyway though?

I will do a update on my grow soon just need to sort out my camara, you were bang on the dot when you said 2 weeks to go, it was exactly 6 weeks yesteday :) dutch passion says 8 weeks flowering time for power plant but i have a feeling as it's mostly sativa it will take a little longer. I'm going to get my microscope on it and harvest it at peak time when ever that will be.

It's up to you if you want to germinate all 5 I think if you did 3 you would be nearly guaranteed to get 2 to crack, what ever you do germinated you could could huddle under the light in smallish pot's and pick the ones that look the strongest.

Have you bought your growing medium yet?

Yeah, the reson I thought it would be best to germinate all 5 is to be able to pick out the strongest looking plants. But it will probably be painfull to kill half of them after a few weeks. So maybe I will just go with 3 like you said.

I have bought my growing medium, yes. My plan is to grow in coco with a thin layer of perlite in the bottom of the pot, mainly to help with drainage.

This is the coco: Home | CANNA Gardening CANADA

I still am a little bit concerned about what pot sizes to use and when to transplant. Right now what I have is two 14l pots. But i think it would be a bad idea to plant the seedlings in there directly, right? But then again I want to transplant as little as possible. Any tips on a good way to set up the whole pot-process from seed to harvest?

I have said it before but I can't say it enough. DrTent, I really appreciate you babysitting me like this. It makes it so much easier. :thanks:

Haha yeah culling plants is never easy I even hate giving them the chop when they are done.

That coco looks good, are you going to mix some garden lime in with it? it helps stabalize the the ph by stopping it going above 7. Have you got any canna rhizotonic it's really good for getting roots established in the early stages infact it helps the plant all round, it's a bit on the expensive side but is worth the money.

If i remember right you said you will be vegging with a 250w mh? if you are you will be wasting electricity a little bit but only until the plants start to pick up in size and a advantage of doing your seedlings under a 250w mh is that you can put them in your 14l pots right from the start. i would prefer 15-18l pots for plants with a long vegging time (4 weeks or more) i have 18l pots on my current grow but they only have 15l of soil in them so i'm sure 14l will be fine.

And as for baby sitting you :laughtwo: it's no problem at all i enjoy helping people grow, this will be entertaining for me and will help add towards my experience, i'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with that coco for example. Also it was only about 4 years ago i was doing my first grow althou i had been reading about growing for many years before that, have you got a good book yet? I think it's such a important thing to have! especially for reference. I would recomend this one marijuana growing by Jorge Cervantes - the best cannabis grow guides you can find!

I have added you as a friend on this site i think you need to accept, to do this it's user CP>Notifications.

The seeds have arrived!

I will be vegging with a 250w mh at first yes. I also have a 400w mh that I might use in the later stages of veg. We will see. My first thought with planting a tiny plant with almost no rootsystem in a 14l pot is that you will waste a ton of nutes and also have to water alot more then you would have to with a smaller pot. But this is just my logic speaking and there might not be any truth behind it :)

I watched Jorge Cervantes "Ultimate Grow DVD", but I have not read the book.

I accepted your friend request. Now you are stuck with me whether you like it or not ;)

Hopefully the fan and controller will get here tomorrow or on friday so I can finally get this thing going this weekend!

Yay seeds i'm getting excited for you :)

Hmm you wont waste that much nutes because a small plant with a little root system will be drinking nearly no water so depending on air flow temps ect.. it will be at least 10 days each watering so 3-4 waterings and your plants are a month old! or maybe get a few pots like these Extra Deep Pots - Extra Deep Plant Pots - LBS Buyers Guide
you could get a nice deep root system in those and just need to transplant once, i think that will be your best bet.

Have you got a E.C meter you could do the grow without one but it would help especially when your plants are young and only need slight amounts of nutes and are prone to nute burn. You can look at how much canna's grow chart tells you to put in your reservoir and play it safe by putting slightly less in.

Stuck with you :) i'm in for this whole grow for sure!

How about if I do it like this. I fill the 14l pots up with 12-13l of coco. Pour a ton of ph-regulated water in them and let the water drain through. Then add water with nutes until i get just a little bit runoff. After this I put the Root-riot cubes with seedlings in the moist coco.

Then you think I will not have to water for over a week? Wouldn't letting the coco be that moist for that long be a problem?

I have read that I should try to keep PH at around 5.8 for coco.

As for a E.C meter, I have not got one. I didn't feel like spending the extra cash on it initially, but we will see. Maybe I should get one anyway.

To be honest i can't really predict what the water retention/air ratio is like with the coco, i'm assuming it will be a bit like canna terra pro plus as that stuff also has lots of fibers. Your technique sounds good but I would just fill those pots to the top with coco also watering/flushing would be alot easier in say 18l pots but only filled to about 15-16l having the gap at the top stops the water from going over the sides and when you flush you you should be putting 3 times the amount of water as the volume of your growing medium so 45l per plant.

Fast draining growing medium in a well ventilated area is very difficult to over water that coco should be spongy so there will always be oxygen for the roots so dont worry about it being moist for up to a week, my current grow only needed watering 7-10 days to start off with and obvouisly that gap closed a bit as the plants got bigger and at the moment they still go about 5-6 days between waterings and they are fine.

You can get on fine without a E.C meter, it's only really vital when growing hydroponically.

What size reservoir do you have?

Have you cut a hole out of your wardobe yet for the ducting?

Hmm, I can't decide if I should go with the big pot directly or not. I can't find any local stores, after browsing online, that sell those really deep pots. So I am thinking of other alternatives with that deep kind of shape.

I just have a 10l res. at the moment because I was planning on getting some pretty small pots to start out in. But I will need something alot bigger if Im going to plant directly in the large pots.

I have cut a hole in the wardrobe for ducting, yes. I also installed the air-intakes, except for putting the ladies tights on there for filters ;)

Something like this might work to start out in if I cut the top off and poke some holes in the bottom. What do you think? It is 2 liters.

Do you live near any garden stores? i would be highly surprised if they didn't have any kind of deep pots and yeah you will be watering about 10l per plant every watering in the big pots so at least a 20l res, also when you flush it will take 90l of water! so maybe a water butt might be the best solution or get small res 20l upwards and imprevise when you come to flush use lots of buckets or a laundry basket or something to make it 90l.

I checked a few gardening stores around here, but they didn't have any really deep pots. I think I will just go with the 2 liter juice cartons. Should work fine for 1-2 weeks then transplant to the large pots. Lets hope the fan gets here before the weekend now. Pray with me! (wait... im not even a little bit religious, but hey, it can't hurt right?)

It doesn't have to be deep pots any small ish ones would do the job, the plants will be in those juice cartons for alot longer then 2 weeks before you would need to transplant them, you need to let the roots fill the whole growing medium so it stays as one mass for when you transplant. I would be a little paranoid using juice cartons just incase it affected the roots some how. Just get some little pots even if they are not that deep.

I'm praying for you now with my marijuana bible in hand :)

Ok, I give up on the juice box idea! Hehe, il just get a small, regular shaped pot then. Would 3.5 liters be a good size you think?

Hey DocTent.. What we did was get a piece of foam, its not that real thick stuff like those thin mattresses, but more like those exfoliator things you use in the shower.. It helps muffle any noise while still letting air thru, also if u stick one of those tree car air fresheners in amongst it it will help with any smell;)

Back
Top Bottom