... shuffles down the isle ... takes an empty seat .... :volcano-smiley:

I am also on my first grow (coco). You can check out my journal here:

White Widow and CBD Therapy Coco Grow

I felt a bit of despair in the beginning when I over watered. I just waited it out and got some great advice from the local hydro shop. Started germinating on April 20 and I am now on day 31 veg. Just hang in there and things will work out. Lots of great advice posted so far. Coco is super nice to grow in. If you have the extra cash to spare for nutes I would highly recommend giving it a shot. I'll help out if I can. Still very much a noob to the growing scene :)

Can someone recommend a brand of soil to get locally from Home Depot or Lowes? I need to get my girls into some better soil before the gnats kill them.:thedoubletake:
Fox Farm Ocean Forest is what a lot of people recommend. It's what I picked up and I think besides Epsom salt for Cal/Mag, and Alaska Fish Fertilizer (5-1-1), I'll be rolling with Fox Farm products from now on.

Actually I put the Jiffy Pellets into the cups before I put the seeds in and filled the soil up to around 1/4 inch from the top of the pellet. I used some water bottles with the bottom cut off to make a humidity dome. I removed the bottles after the seedlings broke the surface of the pellets. Humidity is not really a problem in my area. usually around 70% :thumb:

Wow. Very different. Lol. When I transplanted mine in the pellet, I buried the pellet a little deeper, like 1/4" under the soil. But that's also because my seedlings were getting rather tall so I figured I could get some extra root growth from the main stem if I buried some of the stem. I think if anything, it'll just slow the growth a bit.

With my first grow, I took them outta the dome after they broke the surface like you did, they didn't make it much longer. Perhaps for a number of reasons but the second time I grew and left them in the dome for almost 2 weeks until they had almost 3 nodes and now they're doing great. But that's also the thing with growing, what works for one may not for another. Too many variables. But good luck to you friend.
3475ff6a6301c40dea2fe1f2823d893b.jpg
4804385750aa945c26ab152322830bd6.jpg

Unfortunately home depot in my area doesn't carry Fox Farm. I did get some really good indoor organic potting mix at Pike nursery for $6 a bag.

People don't realize the struggle some of us have in the southeast US. Home Depots in the most SE states doesn't stock Fox Farms, ProMix, Sunshine or any soils widely used for cannabis growing. You can order it online if you want to pay the high shipping costs. I'm sure you can find a nursery in your area that carries a better variety.

Nu have you tried the fox farm locator on their website?

There's this old house around my area (facing a semi-busy street) with plants growing all over it. The locator identified that as a hydro store. I was like "wtf...I drive past this house all the time.."

Drive around back and there's a cpl parking spaces that completely seclude your car while you shop with some 70ish yr old dutch dude that sometimes answers the door in a hoodie and boxers...it's where I got the stuff for my first grow 7 years ago. FFOF was right around the corner from me! But he charges 25 a bag and my new nursery charges 18. I'll still support him when I get other stuff tho.

I've been looking at Amazon for a new grow light and now I'm more confused than ever. I only do 3 or 4 plants at a time not sure what minimum wattage I should get, obviously want full spectrum, but some have IR and or UV. Totally confused.

I've been looking at Amazon for a new grow light and now I'm more confused than ever. I only do 3 or 4 plants at a time not sure what minimum wattage I should get, obviously want full spectrum, but some have IR and or UV. Totally confused.

Nu2grow, I wouldn't worry to much on wattage. What you need to look for is how much lums and or par which is Cob lights your kicking out.
Like you could go with a T5 set up or HPS- high pressure sodium. A Mars full spectrum is what a lot of people use on here. That's led I believe. I personally use the Cob light set up. Cost more but you save on elec. in the long run. Good Luck!!

I've read that MH and HPS you need about 65 watts per square foot. With LED you need about 35 watts psf.

But that's actual wattage not rated wattage. And since you cannot measure the draw of a light you don't yet own, it's a better bet to look at what others are having success with in the same conditions as yours.

Somewhere there should be at least a general guideline to go off for each type of lighting. Such as... LED actual wattage tends to be ___% less than manufacturer rated wattage.

It's out there somewhere... I just haven't found it yet.

Nu2grow, I wouldn't worry to much on wattage. What you need to look for is how much lums and or par which is Cob lights your kicking out.
Like you could go with a T5 set up or HPS- high pressure sodium. A Mars full spectrum is what a lot of people use on here. That's led I believe. I personally use the Cob light set up. Cost more but you save on elec. in the long run. Good Luck!!

I agree with Budboy2, it's very good advice! Not used LEDs or COBs (they might even have been the same thing before I read your post) however have been using hps for ten years now. They're pretty much the same as LEDS in you get what you pay for. Cheaper options don't run at full capacity leading to less of the good light you want. Learning about LUX and PAR (two different measures of light. LUX is to do with area covered and PAR to do with the amount of useable light available to plants). Check it out mate :)

I did figure it out, its not to bad, so here they are...

Coco coir Purple Kush
plants_00240.JPG

Coco coir White Widow
plants_00340.JPG

The DIY RDWC and sisters...
plants_00438.JPG

These will be a month old since popping out of their rooters on the 29th, that is 2 1200 watt (280 watts each actual draw) King Plus LED's that cost me $300 delivered, and seem to work ok so far, the bucket system with reservoir, air & water pumps cost another $250 plus a Saturday afternoon to put together, and there is another $100-150 for medium, testers and goodies plus $100 for nutes and a scrubber so with the seeds I probably have around $900-1000 in this set up.

I am sure there is more goodies I can blow my $$ on in the future:idea:
your plants look great though . its so easy to go overboard with accessories, nutes,lights ect . I have around 1500 invested in my set up and that was hard to dob. i could have easily spent 10k in about 10 minutes on amazon lol

Im growing 5 crown royales, all at diffetent ages. the biggest one is 29 days old, the other 2 are 22 days old , 1 is 15 days and the last one is about 9 days old .

Im using advanced nutrients line, you can check my journal if ya want . But ive given big bertha some big doses and shes been taking them very well .

heres a pic
420-magazine-mobile125796311.jpg

i subbed btw .

Nu have you tried the fox farm locator on their website?

There's this old house around my area (facing a semi-busy street) with plants growing all over it. The locator identified that as a hydro store. I was like "wtf...I drive past this house all the time.."

Drive around back and there's a cpl parking spaces that completely seclude your car while you shop with some 70ish yr old dutch dude that sometimes answers the door in a hoodie and boxers...it's where I got the stuff for my first grow 7 years ago. FFOF was right around the corner from me! But he charges 25 a bag and my new nursery charges 18. I'll still support him when I get other stuff tho.

Weed is SO illegal in my state we have to buy our dirt from a black market dirt dealer! LOL

your plants look great though . its so easy to go overboard with accessories, nutes,lights ect . I have around 1500 invested in my set up and that was hard to dob. i could have easily spent 10k in about 10 minutes on amazon lol

Im growing 5 crown royales, all at diffetent ages. the biggest one is 29 days old, the other 2 are 22 days old , 1 is 15 days and the last one is about 9 days old .

Im using advanced nutrients line, you can check my journal if ya want . But ive given big bertha some big doses and shes been taking them very well .

heres a pic
420-magazine-mobile125796311.jpg

i subbed btw .

I'm on my way to check your journal out!:thumb:
OTM

Weed is SO illegal in my state we have to buy our dirt from a black market dirt dealer! LOL

Dude, dude, check it out, I just scored this awesome perlite, primo stuff!

I'm still laughing :goof:

Ok... been a few days since my last post. I've moved all my plants outside until I can get a tent and a good light. I am looking at a tent on Amazon it is 32"×32"×63". With a marshydro 300w light. Anybody think I could squeeze 3 plants in there?

Back
Top Bottom