My First Indoor Grow 2400w HPS Soil Medium - Advice Welcome

Thats tops Dash!!:goodjob::goodjob:
Nice looking buds and I hope your happy with what you ve done with this grow;) I am giving ya +REPS too bro! Awsum grow! Espec for a HPS based grow - IMO anyways.. My girls getting there I put sum recent pics up my PC shit itself due to dust it seems?? It was fine and nxt day it wouldnt function and wsnt until I pulled apart and cleaned all circuits it decided itll go again!
But yeah - your keyboard bud is mad:) Your grow is another inspiration to those who think you cant get good results with soil.. I LOVE SOIL!! Plants werent born in hydro s so im a hippy - by - nature - Organic is great. Apart from fungus gnats - I will say that.. Assholz..
Anyways, congrats on your grow and be good to see what you get in a week or 2.. Tasty buds YUMMO.
Take it easy, Smokemup:goodjob:

Thanks Smokemupm8, yeah im very happy with the result much better than i expected then again i only flowered them, cheers for the reps bro i owe it all to all the great growers here... and HPS :cheesygrinsmiley:. Ill be sticking with soil for a while its just less complicated for me, at this stage i think im better off concentrating on filling the footprint with a decent canopy and refining my fert regime and as you say mate soil is the natural way.

That keyboard bud wasn't mine, i wish it was lol.

I thought you already harvested. That's why I was asking about your numbers. Sorry dash, I'm not sure why I thought that. I'm going to have to read back through your journal and see where I got confused.

algds Bro I harvested the three mothers i flowered. have my main grow still going hopefully for a couple more weeks as im bit behind on next round, just made a veg tent so have a few clones and seeds going but im a month away from having enough to refull the bloom room.

it takes some time to get the timing of when to start your next batch going. can you sum up what you have learned and what you would do differently during your grow?

Thanks for the question KJC, To sum up what iv'e learned id have to say its how much i dont know, that there is a big yield difference between a plant surviving to maturity and being trained and nurtured to maturity. i s ee my start as survival right now but have a plethora of grow avenues to explore for future improvement. Not trying anything radical for my next grow i just want to concentrate on veging 4 plants per 600 light and achieving an even canopy, maybe try flowering defol at set times like at day 10 and 21. i have 8 clones of an unknown strain in veg which i have started tipping and will be trying to veg them to a size and shape until i think they should fill the 4 per 600 light i envision.

i was dead set on staying with soil but after the strawberry blue drying out at 10 oz for 1 plant im defo staying hydro, also the tastiest and smoothest ive smoked to date, but what ever you decide to do mat you know theres plenty of help here at 420 mag if shit goes down

keep it green mate

Yeah sweet as mate;)
Thats the goal, trying to spread out and gain as much bud sites from each branch as possible - I usually aim for at least 15 main vertical branches each with their own large cola's - some Ive grown to 2ft in length! Like this one:
2012-10-22_19_27_19.jpg
2012-10-31_17_48_44.jpg
2012-10-31_18_08_32.jpg

My current grow due to the break in the main stem, limited me to about 13 I think she has? So yeah, my next grow Im hopefully going to be getting a proper harvest again..
For Veg - especially starting from sprout I find that using a couple of 6500k CFL's is perfect for raising them. I pretty much start all my plant this way and as Ive seen from other grows which use only CFL's - you may notice that the plants will seem to be nice dark green and bushy with tight node spacings.
I am toying with using the CFL's all the way thru Veg rather than switching to my MH, But pending on how big it gets I may be forced to use my MH again... Not that I mind, I use a 400w and my plants grow well under that upto about 4ft tall, then I flip it to flower under my 600w HPS.
I am weary of the results of using only a HPS for the entire grow, I ve seen good plants grown, but I like to use the CFL/MH for Veg and HPS for flower, I may be buying a DUAL-SPECTRUM globe for flower next grow? Not sure yet...
Anyways, take it easy my freind and it wont be long til you ve got keyboard size buds;) Its not hard, you just need the right space and adequate air circulation and it will grow n grow!
Have a good one, Chat soon - Smokemupm8! :high-five:

reps dasher mate

hows the grow coming along?

i was dead set on staying with soil but after the strawberry blue drying out at 10 oz for 1 plant im defo staying hydro, also the tastiest and smoothest ive smoked to date, but what ever you decide to do mat you know theres plenty of help here at 420 mag if shit goes down

keep it green mate

Thanks for the reps mate:thanks: my grows going ok couple of concerns with branches bending everywhere and had to cut a few buds today with first signs of rot but ive increased my ventilation so hopefully i can keep them going a week or so more. Your plants were ridiculous for your space an incredible effort i dont blame you for sticking with your hydro mate, with a strain like that Cindy 99 i believe you could get that illusive gram/watt, Cheers for the support if i do decide to give hydro a crack i know id have a good shot of success with you guys here to guide me thru.

Great looking buds Dasher bro! +reps

I wish i could smoke the doc with you bro, you would love her - its like smoking valium ;)

Thanks heaps BushyBro wish i could kick back and hit the doc with you too buddy i can only imagine what that does to your head.:trance:

how does your Cream Caramel smoke? would you grow Cream Caramel again?

Hey KJC congrats on well earned MOM nomination mate,

Iv'e been smoking alot of the Ice x so the CC was a nice change and smoked up really nice, sweet and quite smooth people who have smoked it liked the flavour not the strongest or longest lasting stone but quite a nice heady high. Not going to grow CC again it just didn't produce the yield of the ice x which im using as a yardstick.

Yeah sweet as mate;)
Thats the goal, trying to spread out and gain as much bud sites from each branch as possible - I usually aim for at least 15 main vertical branches each with their own large cola's - some Ive grown to 2ft in length! Like this one:
2012-10-22_19_27_19.jpg
2012-10-31_17_48_44.jpg
2012-10-31_18_08_32.jpg

My current grow due to the break in the main stem, limited me to about 13 I think she has? So yeah, my next grow Im hopefully going to be getting a proper harvest again..
For Veg - especially starting from sprout I find that using a couple of 6500k CFL's is perfect for raising them. I pretty much start all my plant this way and as Ive seen from other grows which use only CFL's - you may notice that the plants will seem to be nice dark green and bushy with tight node spacings.
I am toying with using the CFL's all the way thru Veg rather than switching to my MH, But pending on how big it gets I may be forced to use my MH again... Not that I mind, I use a 400w and my plants grow well under that upto about 4ft tall, then I flip it to flower under my 600w HPS.
I am weary of the results of using only a HPS for the entire grow, I ve seen good plants grown, but I like to use the CFL/MH for Veg and HPS for flower, I may be buying a DUAL-SPECTRUM globe for flower next grow? Not sure yet...
Anyways, take it easy my freind and it wont be long til you ve got keyboard size buds;) Its not hard, you just need the right space and adequate air circulation and it will grow n grow!
Have a good one, Chat soon - Smokemupm8! :high-five:

Everytime i see those pics it spins me out lol Saw some pics of a Cindy 99 that had huge colas like yours im keen to get hold of that strain as cant see my ice x getting that size, even outdoors. Whatever light your using your using them well, i need a different veg light my 600 a waste of power in there maybe look at CFL as i could definitely use tighter node, branching. the dual your considering sounds promising you never know till you give it a go mate.

Don't know if i'll ever grow keyboard sized buds, but thats definitely something i'll aspire too.

For ur mates plant - Almost looks like a Boron problem and also a Potassium I think, as the damage to the edges on the leaves looks like that??? Id get his PH checked, and corrected firstly, then go from there.. May need a flush and slowly feed from quarter strength to half and so on.
Otherwise, it looks like maybe a bad Nitrogen burn or Light burn if the globe was too close! But Im guessing that isnt the issue.. Cant give any other advice on that one mate.. GOODLUCK;)

Well Dash, I think that in most cases - apart from some select strains are easily able to grow to big sizes its just if you have the space for one and Veg your plant until it reaches about 4ft in height, so if you get about 2.5ft of stretch during flower, youre looking at a 6ft plant, combine that with mutiple cola's, and its really a no brainer. Tho, I grow only 1 plant p/grow, and I aim for bulk and So I have to Veg until big enough to give me a good base grown from the plant and will be strong enough to support large cola's at flower.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE 600w. I buy cheap ceramic desk lamps, and break the base and extract the entire cord and socket ( CAREFULLY!! ) and then I have a ready to hang anywhere light:)
I like to use a box type system with 5 CFL's, 1 globe per side, and the top section needs to be slightly smaller in size so it can freely fit in the top of the box which you also put a globe thru the centre and then you have a raisable light, and full lighting around the plant.
I do this til the plant reaches what size I want and then it goes under the MH, I also only use a 17/7 Veg lighting time too.. The box is all DIY but easy as,AND CHEAP! Just line the inner walls with mylar or paint white.
YOu are going great mate and I am sure that you can grow some impressive bushes, Dont under estimate urself young Jedi:)
Take it easy buddy, Chat soon. Smokemup

Yep what KJ said! I did manage to find some Hi output CFL's, which arent T5 grow lights, just a higher wattage I think it was 150w, and that ALWAYS grew 1 seedling up to about 15cm or so, and theyre nice and bushy, But once they start to get growing they pik up size fast and thats why I go to my MH as I usually have my plants all spread out due to the LST. But yeah, a few normal household globes will be fine as said look for the 6500K's, for Veg and the 2500 s flower.. I started out using a big cardboard box to grow in, with a light in the middle of each side of the box and then one up top, and man it grew well and was a big plant, I had to take it out of the box after it got to nearly 2.5ft tall as it was wide too and I needed more room.
Anyways hope it helps you and will chat soon ok mate. Later buddy - Smokemup

Hey Dash

Your buddy's plant looks like it might have a couple problems.

My first instinct is Mg since we all know cannabis loves her Mg :)
It could also be Zn or K, but then I think I see signs of heat stress and/or nute burn. It looks like soil, so maybe someone else will know better since I'm a hydro guy. If it was me, I'd add a little Epsom.

Back
Top Bottom