My First Time Growing

Ok, Week 7 update!

Girls are lookin good, plant #3 is getting freaking huge, actually grew too fast and got some sunburn because it got too close to the light! I'm thinking of replacing ballasts on the other two fluorescents i got and putting them back in, for a better even spread of light... any thoughts on that?

Anyhow, here's the pics:

All Plants:
w7allplants.jpg

Plant 1:
w7p1.jpg

Plant 2:
w7p2.jpg

Plant 3:
w7p3.jpg

Plant 4:
w7p4.jpg

Plant 5:
w7p5.jpg

Plant 6:
w7p6.jpg

lonestar, as for your question, i dunno. they called me after i placed my order and were kind of freaked out, but ended up shipping them anyways. place order at your own risk ;)

I'm thinking i need to make my scrog screen in the next couple of days to keep the plants (mainly number 3) from getting too tall, i want to have room for the buds... If i top the plants, will the start to bush out instead of growing up??

A link to a "topping" guide would be much appreciated!

Ok, here we go, week number eight!

I've put in my screen for the scrog, and I hope I am doing this right... PLease if anyone sees somthing wrong, or has a suggestion, I would appreciate any input!

Plant 1:
w8p1.jpg

Plant 2:
w8p2.jpg

Plant 3:
w8p3.jpg

Plant 3, close up of the tip... Should I be able to sex this one soon?:
w8p3-2.jpg

Plant 4:
w8p4.jpg

Plant 5:
w8p5.jpg

Plant 6:
w8p6.jpg

My plants showed sex at probably about 8 weeks, maybe a little sooner. I was still in 18/6 in veg mode.

I've read that certain indica strains have genetics that cause them to show sex before flower on here, but one of the guys at the local hydro shop said that plants should not being show sex until sent into 12/12. He seemed to think that my lights would go off periodically and that's why they started to show, but I think he was wrong. Perhaps he's just never dealt with a strain like the one I am growing before.

Once the plants start to show sex it's totally obvious. I held out hope on the two males i had, but alas they were males. My females have looked like unmistakable white hairs right from the start, right where the branches leave the main stem. The males start out thicker and little longer, but eventually start to grow into balls.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that the way i have things setup I probably should have grown a couple plants, and then cloned from a female from the get-go, would have produced a more even grow (since I have 6 plants that all seem to be at different stages).

The upside of having 6 plants at different stages, all on a 12/12, I guess would be I will have a plant ready to harvest for much longer than having to harvest all at once.

My next grow will definitly involve cloning and scrog; I was a bit overwhelmed with all the info on these forums and cloning was just one more thing that I had no idea about, info overload!

I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens!

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking that the way i have things setup I probably should have grown a couple plants, and then cloned from a female from the get-go, would have produced a more even grow (since I have 6 plants that all seem to be at different stages).

The upside of having 6 plants at different stages, all on a 12/12, I guess would be I will have a plant ready to harvest for much longer than having to harvest all at once.

My next grow will definitly involve cloning and scrog; I was a bit overwhelmed with all the info on these forums and cloning was just one more thing that I had no idea about, info overload!

I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens!

I made this same exact mistake! I am pretty sure though, that regardless of how long they are in the veg stage, the flower stage should be pretty much the same for all of the plants if you start them 12/12 at the same time. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ok, week 9 update!

I think that I have a male in here... I'll post a close up, and before i pull it out I would like for someone to confirm this for me...

All Plants:
w9allplants.jpg

Plant 1:
p1w9.jpg

Plant 2:
p2w9.jpg

Plant 3 and 4 (3 in the back, possible male, 4 in front):
p3n4w9.jpg

Close up of the top of plant 3, looks like balls to me, but i'd like to be sure:
ballsacs.jpg

Plant 5:
p5w9.jpg

Plant 6:
p6w9.jpg

So there they are...

On a side note, my test germination plant (unknown seed) was planted outside in the dirt, about a week before the other plants... This one is really short, about 6 inches, and it's budding already! just one at the top, really small, but smells good up close... I am thinking i might have to dig it up and bring it in, since it's cold (and outside). Would it being cold make it flower while it's really short??

:rollit:

most plants will show their sex around 8 weeks from seed, the guy from the store is tryin to sell you extra stuff. clones will do it too, its natural dont worry. Looking good. I think its definitely a male. Monster hermie at the least :{}

Who's trying to sell what? I don't get it...

I figured that one is a male... I will take him outta there tonight, and if I want to harvest some pollen... How long will I have to keep it alive to do that?

Thanks for your input Ms. Fox!

I planted my males outside and waited for them to start poppin. It happened about 2-3 weeks later.

unfortunately i can't do that :( maybe if the timing was better, but with family coming over for the holidays, no-go ;)

So, I have good news, and bad news....

Bad news first:
(plant 5)
plant5maleboooo.jpg

That's plant 5, and im pretty sure those are man-parts :(

Good news:
Plant 4, definitly a female!
plant4femaleyay.jpg

So, current count is 2 males, one female, and 3 pre-adolescents. I'm almost thinking I should clone the female but i'm not quite sure i have a setup that'll let me do that... I'll have to find a good way to get that done ;)

DaleDenton, here's the thread that I was reading that made me think about trying to clone:

What is a flowering clone?

I've also been thinking... I have a random seed that was a test germination, and I just stuck it in the dirt.... It's flowering right now, and I think I am going to try and transplant it from dirt (wash off dirt first of course) and put in into the hydro setup, since I have 2 empty spots due to the males...

This'll be a fun experiment ;)

So, I just HAVE to post these pictures.

I dug up the plant from outside, washed off the dirt, and transplanted into rockwool and added hydroton. I talked to the plant the whole time and explained the situation, and told her that she was really moving up in life and she would enjoy her new home. I also apologized if I was a little rough ;)

Pics turned out really good ;)

I think I will name her... Mystery Mary, unless someone else has a better idea for a name ;)

Pic 1:
mystery.jpg

Close up of that beautiful lil bud at the top:
extremecloseup.jpg

Lil secondary bud sites:
2ndarybudsites.jpg

I have to sit back and chuckle for a minute... This plant has been outside longer than the other plants have been in the hydro. The only thing i did was stick the germinated seed in the dirt, and she was getting irrigation runoff from my tomato plants. She's small, but very pretty, buddin at that height... And my other plants i have fawned over and are bigger, but just now starting to bud...

Just want to say that's the first plant i've grown EVER, and it's buddin!!! I'm really excited =)

Now... I just hope she survives the shock of going from soil to hydro... everyone please keep your fingers crossed :)

My plants showed sex at probably about 8 weeks, maybe a little sooner. I was still in 18/6 in veg mode.

I've read that certain indica strains have genetics that cause them to show sex before flower on here, but one of the guys at the local hydro shop said that plants should not being show sex until sent into 12/12. He seemed to think that my lights would go off periodically and that's why they started to show, but I think he was wrong. Perhaps he's just never dealt with a strain like the one I am growing before.

thats what I was refering to, sounded to me like he was hinting to you that you needed to replace you lights.

thats what I was refering to, sounded to me like he was hinting to you that you needed to replace you lights.

well, i'm a growing newb and didnt pickup on any hint there, if someone's got advice for me don't beat around the MJ bush just come out and say it :grinjoint:

I do have the 400watt HPS, should i switch that one in there with only one plant flowering? would that stunt or otherwise mess up the other ones?

but one of the guys at the local hydro shop said that plants should not being show sex until sent into 12/12.

Depends On Strain :cheesygrinsmiley:
If they show pre-flowers before 12/12
And then there are the auto-flowering strains.
I've seen strains that show pre-flowers under 24/0 at 5 weeks.

Dude was trying to sell you a new light.

Just want to say that's the first plant i've grown EVER, and it's buddin!!! I'm really excited =)
Congratulations :cheesygrinsmiley:

I do have the 400watt HPS, should i switch that one in there with only one plant flowering? would that stunt or otherwise mess up the other ones?
what's on the flowering plant now?

Other ones, still in veg?

Back
Top Bottom