New growth - Wilting with brown tips

I'm wondering if I should snip off the badly clawed leaves?

I wouldn't, unless/until: they are completely yellow/burnt, or you are able to diagnose the issue as pests or fungal infection.
Even damaged leaves still aid in photosynthesis. If they are blocking the light from healthy leaves below, I might take them off, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Right now, less stress and finding the correct solution are the things I'd go for.

My glass may be half empty, but the overall color of the plant has changed. Then again, that might be a good thing. Looking back the majority of the plant was a dark green with the new growth being a much lighter/brighter green. Now, it looks like the new growth and the growth directly below it is closer in color. That color is somewhere between the two. In other words, it's evening out a bit.

Hopefully tomorrow will be claw free on the newest stuff. :)

Oh look! Bourbon! YAY!!! :)

I'm happy to report that the clawing has stopped. In fact, 90% of the drooping has stopped as well. Many of the tips are ever so slightly "burnt" but things seem to be going in a much better direction. I'm still concerned about the new overall color of the plant though and many of the newest leaves edges don't look right.

This is what I'm looking at 3 days after flush, 2 days after giving a dose of cal/mag. I've included a flash on & flash off of the same area for you to compare (first two pics).

The trio of General Hydroponics arrives today. Should I give her that Lucas formula today, you think?

on.jpg

off3.jpg

onon.jpg

ononon.jpg

overall16.jpg

If it was mine, I would feed it, but not until the soil is ready (dries out). Also, since you have the trio, I would go with the GH recommendation at 1/2 strength, rather than the Lucas ratio.

It's going to be a long while before that soil dries out man. Weeks.

Still...
Unless it takes a turn for the worse, I take a wait and see approach. Who knows, it might look better and better just from the flush. If so, the last thing you want to do is "unflush" it by adding more stuff back into the soil. You can always add the feed in a few days. It isn't going to get severe deficiencies in the short term.

My glass is half full now. :) She looks even better this morning. The middle smaller growth has started to take off now and the overall color of the plant seems to be darkening a bit. Not much but some. What surprises me the most is, some of those seriously cupped/clawed leaves are actually un-cupping. They're opening up some and I didn't expect that.

Sorry but it's kind of hard to contain myself. I just had to post a couple more pics of the progress which I cannot thank you folks enough for. Major Not A Pain In My Ass, thanks for sticking with me and major props to everyone else who chimed in.

I keep forgetting how much worse she looks under that LED. Once I pull her out into the room under normal indoor lighting, it's night and day. Even the flash on my phone tends to make things look worse, but hey, I don't give a crap because I'm convinced she's on a good path towards better health.

Yes, there are still issues I'm concerned about - lighter green leaves on 75% of the plant with burned looking edges and tips but the worst seems to be over. I guess now I need to figure out if that dark green color on the bottom original growth is what the overall color should be or if the lighter color is the norm. I dunno.

Regardless, I'm feeling pretty good now.

Happy Friday!

a299.jpg

b190.jpg

Wow - That's quite the turnaround! She's looking GREAT!
You made it happen. :goodjob:
Normally, I'd suggest a 1/2 dose of nutrients, but since the flush seems to have helped so much, I think I'd still wait and see.
Some growers will probably tell you she is the perfect color right now. I usually go for a little darker.
For now, I'd stay the course (observe/wait). Since you flushed her well, it should be a while before she needs water/feed anyway.

Hey Iguana-
I stumbled on this and thought you should take a look. It sounds like this guy grows in coco. If so, I'd take his advice over mine. You might take a look at his grows/journals and see what you think.

Contrary to what Mr. Krip said above - growing in coco is a form of hydroponics whether you hand water or use drippers. You never let coco dry out - ever. The plants should be fed everyday with at least 10% run-off everytime. As long as the roots are established (and yours are) you cannot overwater coco. When coco has been thoroughly saturated it still holds 30% oxygen. The idea of feeding daily is to push out the old nutes and bring in fresh nutes. As it drains it also pulls in fresh oxygen to the roots.

Also - why are you flushing 6 days before you switch to 12/12? As a matter of fact - why are you flushing at all?

Interesting. I'm probably not even 30% coco in the 5 gal. I was up until I moved her to the 5 gal though. As I filled the 5 gal up, I used less and less coco so the lower half is probably 25% and the upper 20% at most. That said, I'm sure I did let the coco dry out up until the flush. Today the color has gotten darker green and the leaves are getting bigger.

I may just wait another couple days and give her 64oz of some of that GH trio at 1/2 strength. I mean, why not? Based on what he's saying and the fact she never got droopy from the flush . . . I think I'll go for it. :)

Thanks for the info dude.

Well here she is 8 days after the flush and 7 after a little cal/mag. The container is about 2/3 dry and I'm thinking of giving her some of the General Hydroponics Trio. I would like to move her into the flowering stage soon so here is my question;

General Purpose - Mild Vegetative = 1-1-1 tsp/gal Gro/Micro/Bloom
Aggressive Vegetative Growth = 3-2-1 tsp/gal Gro/Micro/Bloom
-or-
Transition to Bloom = 2-2-2 tsp/gal Gro/Micro/Bloom

I would do half strength and only 64oz. I'm leaning towards 1/2 tsp each for the 64oz.

Opinions?

(PS. I was thinking of starting a new thread for this in the FAQ but figured for continuity, I'd keep it all here)

NF.jpg

F158.jpg

If you are still in a 5 gallon pot, I'd give her at least 1 gallon of water with 1.5-1-0.5-0.5 teaspoons of Gro-Micro-Bloom-CaliMagic (aggressive veg + cal/mag).

If you are still in a 5 gallon pot, I'd give her at least 1 gallon of water with 1.5-1-0.5-0.5 teaspoons of Gro-Micro-Bloom-CaliMagic (aggressive veg + cal/mag).

A gallon is more than likely going to give me a fair amount of runoff unless I go super slow with it. Guess I'll have to do this outside then.

Thanks.

A gallon is more than likely going to give me a fair amount of runoff unless I go super slow with it. Guess I'll have to do this outside then.

Thanks.

Again, remember I don't do coco. I do completely saturate the pot by watering from both the top and the bottom. I let them soak, that speeds up the process, at least as far as your active time goes. Otherwise, yes, it takes a LONG time to water from the top only and do a thorough job of it.

After reading that how to water a plant tutorial -after- what I just did . . . well, lets just say I've got my fingers crossed. :)

I just ladled a gallon of nutrified water onto the top of the soil. Rotating the pot as I went and switching back and forth between the center and edge. No runoff occurred but that really isn't surprising given how long it took. Why? I didn't want to go outside for neighbor reasons and I was worried about run off so there ya have it. Hey, maybe this will turn into a new 'thing'. ;)

I also pruned some lower leaves that weren't getting any light.

And now we wait. :)

P.S. - For future reference: I've been reading that using LED's automatically require a bit more cal/mag in the plants diet. I also have read using coco requires a bit more cal/mag in the plants diet.

Back
Top Bottom