Newbie Needing help with harvest timing.

rep420

Hi Guys have finally decided to join your awesome community. I am getting very close to harvest on my first grow and would not of made it this far without all your grow journals and FAQ's.

problem: Just trying to figure out how close to harvest i am, was hoping to harvest at peak THC levels. the tri's seems to be starting to cloud compared to what they looked like a week ago. (will show dates next to pics)

SOIL GROW

Strain - unfortunately unknown
# of Plants - 4
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Flower
Bucket Size - 5 Gallon
Lights - 400 Watt HPS
Nutrients - Canna Vega Flores/ PK 13-14/ Cannaboost
Medium - Cheapish Potting mix containing no slow release ferts.
PPM - unknown
PH - 7ish
RH - 60%
Room Temperature - 68 - 75 F
Solution Temperature - unknown
Room Square Footage - 3.5' x 3.5'
Pests - Damn Fungus Knats (under control for now)

Day 30
20130624_213839.jpg

Day 38
20130702_230710.jpg
20130706_212752.jpg

Day 43
20130708_203950.jpg

Day 44
20130708_204017.jpg

Day 44
20130713_210558.jpg

Day 51
20130722_204822.jpg

Day 51
20130722_204826.jpg

Day 51
20130722_204830.jpg

Day 51
20130722_211726.jpg

Day 51
20130722_211732.jpg

Day 51
20130722_211742.jpg

Any help Would be appreciated thanks again, rep.

I would say they have some more time to go. Next time try and keep the plants a little smaller. when your using a 400 watt light you want to try and keep it close to the tops without burning since the light is most effective up top you really dont need the plants big like you have them. I did the same thing my first grow as well. But from the looks of it you got most everything else in order.

good job

Have read all kinds of different things about harvesting. With my Diesel plant I waited till the 60-somethingth day and decided to harvest piecemeal, from the top down. The idea was to give the lower buds more light and more time to grow and ripen. This system seemed to work well enough. I spread the harvesting over almost two weeks, so out to about the 75th day. The lower buds did continue to grow. The trichomes didn't change appearance much at any time; they remained small and clear even on the last buds to be harvested. But the same was true of the first buds harvested, and they definitely have a good THC content. A fringe benefit of piecemeal harvesting: you don't have to spend a whole day trimming buds, just 20 minutes or so every evening.

I'd give it a couple more weeks... pistil colouring has not turn a burnt orange colour yet...

May depend on strain tho, but from your trichome development ya nearly at peak THC content :thumb:

Thanks heaps for the replies. The plants spent too long under the mh i underestimated the stretch lol. Thanks again will try that method of harvest. Thanks fuzzy thats wat i was thinkin too.

What I do is cut a 1/2 or 1/3 leaf from the bud. One of the small leaves, not the large fan leaves.

Take the leaf and look under a microscope at the trichs. I sample from the upper part of the plant where it's closest to the light. These leaves are the small ones you are going to trim anyways.

When I use the microscope, I hold it above the leaf with 2 fingers and move it up and down so at to get clear focus on each trich. This lets me see exactly what is going on under normal lights. It's hard to tell clear/cloudy/amber when it's on the plant (at least for me) because it's hard to get focus on one area and be able to see the difference between clear and cloudy.

Clear will look cloudy if it's out of focus, amber is hard to tell when out of focus. Cutting a tiny leaf from the top cola make it easy to examine and does no damage.

You count the amber trichs and if it's too low, give it a few more days. You'll end up taking 3 or so samples before you harvest, so it's really no damage to the plant.

by the look of it , it looks mainly indica hybrid strain . meaning 60-65 days of flowering .
and Id give it at least 3 if not 4 more weeks.
What i do when i growing a strain im not sure of is after the 40day of flowering i take off a small bud quick dry it in a closed cardboard box for a few days then test drive it out . if i like the high i cut it down if i dont i let her to keep growing .

Back
Top Bottom