Nitric acid vs phosphoric acid pH down

I tried to look at the sds for earth juice double down. No dice. It's proprietary.

Code:
https://www.earthjuice.com/-/media/files/earthjuice-na/us/sds/earth-juice-double-down-sds.pdf

Code:
https://www.earthjuice.com/-/media/files/earthjuice-na/us/sds/earth-juice-double-down-sds.pdf
Thanks TS. I'll check it out....in a bit.

Stupid kindle won't let me cut and paste. Gotta do it the long way. So much for efficiency.

Err... Did you mean to type "Scotts Miracle-Gro's Hawthorne Group" instead of "Monsanto," lol?

Dont forget Bayer

Brought to you by the same people that brought you:

Round up
Agent Orange
Heroin

Among other products.

Great group of folks with only 1 thing of focus and its not our health.

Good for you Virgin Ground for thinking about where you spend your money. It's really the only thing these companies care about, sadly.

Organic methods of pH control are:

Elemental Sulfur
Lime

These are what farmers use. FWIW.

I’ve heard good things about sulfuric acid. There used to be a great thread somewhere re using it for ph down, which I can no longer find. But sulphuric acid is easily purchased in the (roughly) 35% form for use in automotive batteries. You’d want to dilute it further after that obviously

Dont forget Bayer

Brought to you by the same people that brought you:

Round up
Agent Orange
Heroin

Among other products.

Great group of folks with only 1 thing of focus and its not our health.

Good for you Virgin Ground for thinking about where you spend your money. It's really the only thing these companies care about, sadly.

Organic methods of pH control are:

Elemental Sulfur
Lime

These are what farmers use. FWIW.
I try to be conscious of my practices. There are still things that I need to change about my grows. I don't like using plastic but it is a necessity until I can get some fabric pots. I also don't like using spagnum moss. Unfortunately it is a main ingredient for ready made soils.
So my future involves fabric pots and coco I guess. Lol.

I’ve heard good things about sulfuric acid. There used to be a great thread somewhere re using it for ph down, which I can no longer find. But sulphuric acid is easily purchased in the (roughly) 35% form for use in automotive batteries. You’d want to dilute it further after that obviously
I think that is what @Emilya uses. Not 100% sure.

It’s very nice to hear someone who thinks about this stuff. Monsanto also bought out Botanicare, which I used. My grow has mostly sort of been winding down for the last year or two anyway, so I’ve just been using up those bottles along with a bunch of Remo stuff and odds and ends I won in the contests.
If I don’t wind up the grow completely i guess I’m going to have to switch to some version of soil growing- possibly Doc Bud’s kit or a DIY version of it.

I think that is what @Emilya uses. Not 100% sure.
Yes, being a very frugal grower I learned years ago how you can take a $6 container of sulfuric acid for re-energizing a car battery, and turn it into years worth of pH down.
Simply take a gallon of distilled water and remove one cup and use it to water your plants. Carefully and slowly and with gloves and goggles, add 1 cup of pure sulfuric acid back into the now 15 cup container of water. This 15:1 dilution is a nearly perfect match to the popular GH PH down product in its strength. Ions are ions and it really doesn't matter a lot which form of acid you use to adjust your mixes... the big deal about phosphoric acid is that it breaks down into phosphorus, and actually becomes a minor nutrient, but Sulfuric works just fine and without any downside. Plus, you would be hard pressed to find ANY pH down product, even natural ones, that would be this cheap to use.

It’s very nice to hear someone who thinks about this stuff. Monsanto also bought out Botanicare, which I used. My grow has mostly sort of been winding down for the last year or two anyway, so I’ve just been using up those bottles along with a bunch of Remo stuff and odds and ends I won in the contests.
If I don’t wind up the grow completely i guess I’m going to have to switch to some version of soil growing- possibly Doc Bud’s kit or a DIY version of it.
I think Fox Farms parted ways with one of the compainies.... Ugh. Can't remember. They gave a pledge of sorts that they wouldn't sell out in the future. I'll try to find the article later..... if memory allows.

They have a new range of nutrients. Looks like a two part grow and bloom.
Not all of their practices are great but they do try.

Yes, being a very frugal grower I learned years ago how you can take a $6 container of sulfuric acid for re-energizing a car battery, and turn it into years worth of pH down.
Simply take a gallon of distilled water and remove one cup and use it to water your plants. Carefully and slowly and with gloves and goggles, add 1 cup of pure sulfuric acid back into the now 15 cup container of water. This 15:1 dilution is a nearly perfect match to the popular GH PH down product in its strength. Ions are ions and it really doesn't matter a lot which form of acid you use to adjust your mixes... the big deal about phosphoric acid is that it breaks down into phosphorus, and actually becomes a minor nutrient, but Sulfuric works just fine and without any downside. Plus, you would be hard pressed to find ANY pH down product, even natural ones, that would be this cheap to use.
Thank you Emilya. I have just about run out of pH down and will surely use this.

I try to be conscious of my practices. There are still things that I need to change about my grows. I don't like using plastic but it is a necessity until I can get some fabric pots. I also don't like using spagnum moss. Unfortunately it is a main ingredient for ready made soils.
So my future involves fabric pots and coco I guess. Lol.

Good for you. Always try and improve our footprint.

Peat moss - you're gonna be ok using it. Coco has its negatives as well.

CSPM - (Peat moss) is a highly regulated industry in Canada where the Canadians consider stuff like clean air and clean water more important than dollars.

The Canadian government actually knows that Peat Moss is a non-renewable resource. It happens to be where a lot of pristine wilderness is as well. This resource will last a VERY long time - unless they start using it as a fuel to make fire.

I'm in for the green fire I've been growing with it. Its good stuff. Eventually the worms turn it into soil. Can keep re-using.

My goal is to grow my crop completely renewable and zero or negative carbon footprint.

I wood use peat moss.

I think Fox Farms parted ways with one of the compainies.... Ugh. Can't remember. They gave a pledge of sorts that they wouldn't sell out in the future.

Prime target for Monsanto/Scotts I'm thinking.

I'm not going to sell out = I'm not ready to sell out.

Not judging. It's the world we live in currently.

Wood I sell my brain after I die for a cool million?
I'm going to have to think about it. lol

I'm in for the green fire I've been growing with it.
I think I've heard of this.... Is it similar to the Terra Preta from South America? It's bio-char, correct? I just saw a short documentary on Terra Preta, it was fascinating.

Bio-char for sure its a thing and we use it.

Can make your own too. If you have access to bamboo, you can make a pile and burn it, put out before its all ash. Take the ashes and char and add to your vermi-compost bin.

I read a study on it and how it relates to worms and the compost they produce.

Good stuff.

Here's the read - gotta give shout out to @conradino23 for pointing me there.
We compost a good bit and use that vermi-compost to make our soil mix so anything to up the worm game I'm into.

Bamboo biochar amendment improves the growth and reproduction of Eisenia fetida and the quality of green waste vermicompost. - PubMed - NCBI

Back
Top Bottom