Noob Thinking About Getting Started!

Newgrowerx

420 Member
Everyone, first of all - Thank you so much for this awesome resource and the incredible information on the forum. People are really helpful and the different views are a great way to get a few opinions on the same topics. So far my favorite approach has to be the one about getting my first grow under my belt and not trying to over-stress myself and just enjoy the process.

So, I have 0 grow experience. And I think anything I've tried to plant so far has seemed inevitably dried out or dead. I have tried to read as much information as I can but it is all seemingly jumbled in my brain and there is a bit of information overload since some of the stuff I've read has confused me.

I would like to do an indoor grow, in about a 2x4 space to get started - either growbox or just my wooden cabinet but leaning heavily towards a grow box. Here are my questions/setup, I'll try to keep them organized and brief:

Background: First grow, residential building, looking to get all my information checked if possible (thank you)
Goal - indoor grow, Seeds: Autos (Green Gelato, and Northern Light), Budget - I'd like to stay around 400 Canadian $ for my first grow and slowly build up to $1,000 over 3 grows

1) Seedlings (Autos (Green Gelato, and Northern Light)- )I have an Easy Start seed germinator - I have read to use 4 ft. cool white fluorescent tubes for germination / seedlings and that light is not required until they sprout from the surface? This is from one forum post (here) :
"Seeds can also be placed directly into the grow medium with the pointed end facing downwards to germinate without the transplanting step. The medium is kept uniformly moist until the young seedling emerges on the surface.

It is not necessary to provide light before the seedlings break the surface, but it is beneficial to have strong light present from that moment forward to prevent excessive stem elongation.

Fluorescent lighting is satisfactory with cool white or higher color temperature tubes being preferable. Metal halide lighting is beneficial, if heat and moisture are monitored.
"

2) Post Germination, so once the first leaves start to emerge within a few days I would transfer to say 4" pots for about 2 weeks (do I use my soil medium in this initial grow phase as well) and use a HID light? After this I would move them to their final pot destination say a 5 gal? Also at this point after 2 weeks I would go full blast on the light?

3) Soil: FF Happy Frog seems like the best I have found in terms of beginner friendliness since it seems to have alot of nutes built in but I am worried about it being too nutrient heavy since I heard autos dont need that much? Also can I avoid the confusing soil mixes and just stick with something basic for my first grow or will I suffer? Also does anyone know any retailers that deliver FF in Europe?

4) Nutes: Are these necessary if I use FF Happy Frog with just autos? And is adding perilite always beneficial?

5) Ventilation, will just a small fan do? How do you exhaust out air?

6) Water - I read that tap water is not suitable and I should treat it? I read something about an airstone but don't really know if this is necessary... or what it would do

7) Lighting - HID vs LED? Which and why - I thought initially I would use an LED light but seems like everything is pointing to HIDs, can someone give an opinion? I am really concerned about energy costs as well... for my space I wanted to go with about 400W for under 100$ Canadian, max $150. Is this possible?

8) Other things: I understand I need to be monitoring my pH, humidity, temperature (I saw something about CO2?), follow a water pattern for each stage of growth, but if there is anything glaringly wrong with my approach please let me know <3

Anyway, these are my initial questions as I have filled out most things into a shopping cart but decided to wait until I have expert opinions especially for the lighting and soil. I already purchased the grow starter kit and seeds. I am hoping to at least get a bit of bud out of my first grow!!

Thank you so much everyone

I'm a complete novice so I'll let someone else weigh in with the facts but welcome to the forum :)

So, I have 0 grow experience. And I think anything I've tried to plant so far has seemed inevitably dried out or dead. I have tried to read as much information as I can but it is all seemingly jumbled in my brain and there is a bit of information overload since some of the stuff I've read has confused me.

Can relate :) The people here are super helpful and friendly, I'm only a few weeks into my first grow and have received loads of useful advice.

Fox Farms I wasn't able to find here in EU, I am using BioBizz light but I can't say whether it's any good/recommend it as my seedlings aren't even in the soil yet :)

Best of luck with your new adventure friend!

Welcome @Newgrowerx to the forums at :420:!

Lots of helpful growers on here happy to offer advice. I'll circle back and go through your questions later when I have the time to go through them.

In the meantime I'd invite you to come check out #SIP Club . Proper watering is one of the hurdles holding most new growers back, and especially when growing autos as they flower on a time clock (not in reaction to light/dark hours) so if you stunt them for any reason they don't have time to recover. SIP containers make perfect watering everything automatic.

I'm a complete novice so I'll let someone else weigh in with the facts but welcome to the forum :)

Can relate :) The people here are super helpful and friendly, I'm only a few weeks into my first grow and have received loads of useful advice.

Fox Farms I wasn't able to find here in EU, I am using BioBizz light but I can't say whether it's any good/recommend it as my seedlings aren't even in the soil yet :)

Best of luck with your new adventure friend!
I saw the BioBizz Light and it was my second option!! Definitely seems good for growing Autos as well. I hope your grow is successful and well, even some failure can be considered a form of success. Happy growing friend!

Welcome @Newgrowerx to the forums at :420:!

Lots of helpful growers on here happy to offer advice. I'll circle back and go through your questions later when I have the time to go through them.

In the meantime I'd invite you to come check out #SIP Club . Proper watering is one of the hurdles holding most new growers back, and especially when growing autos as they flower on a time clock (not in reaction to light/dark hours) so if you stunt them for any reason they don't have time to recover. SIP containers make perfect watering everything automatic.
Thank you, reading about it now. Will take me a while to digest the information.

Thank you, reading about it now. Will take me a while to digest the information.
It's a whole new world for sure. But feel free to ask any questions as they come up as that's how many of us learn. There are lots of helpful folks on here happy to try to help you grow better plants.

So far my favorite approach has to be the one about getting my first grow under my belt and not trying to over-stress myself and just enjoy the process.
Welcome to the group. It looks like you are getting a good start by looking up info on lights, soil, methods and more. The best thing to remember is that we will often recommend what has worked for us over time but that does not mean it will work for everyone else.

A couple of recommendations I can think of is to double check that what you are reading actually applies to the growing method you are interested in. As an example your interest seem to be a soil soil grow so check when someone mentions nutrients that they are not for a hydro grow. Or that the inexpensive grow lights you found are best for growing a Marijuana plant and not best for an African Violet already on a window sill.

Like the others I would have to come back to some recommendations later in the weekend after family dinners today and tomorrow. But I did notice one thing that you might actually enjoy reading about before getting too involved.

You mention that you are a new grower and then wrote: "And I think anything I've tried to plant so far has seemed inevitably dried out or dead." What really caught my attention after that was this quote below......
Seeds: Autos (Green Gelato, and Northern Light),
I do not grow autos. OK, grew one awhile ago but that was an accident. Anyway, I keep reading about the problems that many first time growers have with their auto-flower plants. Read up through the many messages here and you will come across discussions on slow growing autos and stunted autos. The seedlings got so far along and just stopped growing or they started flowering before the plant got very large.

It might be better to get a couple of feminized photo-period seeds of your choice of strains, even the Green Gelato and Northern Lights, and try growing those. The photo-period plants are being known to be more forgiving of grower errors allowing for larger harvests. Something go wrong while transplanting an auto (and what goes wrong is not seen) and the plant produces a joint or two of flower can be a big disappointment. It can be enough to make a new grower quit before they really get rolling.

Photo-period plants can be harvested in the same amount of time, 4 to 6 weeks of vegetating and then 8 weeks of flowering. The autoflower has the same length of flowering once it starts and that is often after the same 4, and sometimes 6, weeks of vegetating. Only real difference is the grower decides when the photoperiod start flowering.

Getting a harvest of an ounce, or even a 1/2 ounce is enough to give many growers the feeling that they are on the right track and want to try again.:).

Welcome to the group. It looks like you are getting a good start by looking up info on lights, soil, methods and more. The best thing to remember is that we will often recommend what has worked for us over time but that does not mean it will work for everyone else.

A couple of recommendations I can think of is to double check that what you are reading actually applies to the growing method you are interested in. As an example your interest seem to be a soil soil grow so check when someone mentions nutrients that they are not for a hydro grow. Or that the inexpensive grow lights you found are best for growing a Marijuana plant and not best for an African Violet already on a window sill.

Like the others I would have to come back to some recommendations later in the weekend after family dinners today and tomorrow. But I did notice one thing that you might actually enjoy reading about before getting too involved.
FFHF is all you need probably for the first month and it’s fine for auto’s. You don’t need to uppot until you have a solid rootball and using clear solo cups you’ll know. Water has 10 times more oxygen @ 70-72 degrees and warmer leads to pathogens.( root rot). Some people use regular tap water but I run mine thru a zero filter to remove chlorine. Good Luck + happy growing. Also read Emilya’s thread on watering a potted plant.CL🍀

You mention that you are a new grower and then wrote: "And I think anything I've tried to plant so far has seemed inevitably dried out or dead." What really caught my attention after that was this quote below......

I do not grow autos. OK, grew one awhile ago but that was an accident. Anyway, I keep reading about the problems that many first time growers have with their auto-flower plants. Read up through the many messages here and you will come across discussions on slow growing autos and stunted autos. The seedlings got so far along and just stopped growing or they started flowering before the plant got very large.

It might be better to get a couple of feminized photo-period seeds of your choice of strains, even the Green Gelato and Northern Lights, and try growing those. The photo-period plants are being known to be more forgiving of grower errors allowing for larger harvests. Something go wrong while transplanting an auto (and what goes wrong is not seen) and the plant produces a joint or two of flower can be a big disappointment. It can be enough to make a new grower quit before they really get rolling.

Photo-period plants can be harvested in the same amount of time, 4 to 6 weeks of vegetating and then 8 weeks of flowering. The autoflower has the same length of flowering once it starts and that is often after the same 4, and sometimes 6, weeks of vegetating. Only real difference is the grower decides when the photoperiod start flowering.

Getting a harvest of an ounce, or even a 1/2 ounce is enough to give many growers the feeling that they are on the right track and want to try again.:).
INTERESTING!!! And yes when I started, it sounded like autos were the "idiot proof" method. But as I read more I realized that they are actually way more unforgiving. Anyway, I will try these out as a start but I can definitely appreciate way more what you are saying and I'm gonna probably try 4 or 5 grows before giving up. Anyway thanks alot for your reply and enjoy the family dinners :)

Some first time grower’s have success with auto’s, I grew 3 Pygmy’s ( stunted) and will never grow another. CL🍀
I will have to see how I do, but knowing experienced growers like you and SmokingWings have seen the autos stunt/act up it will at least give me an idea of what I'm getting into. I might order a few photo period seeds and try them out alongside the autos just to have 2 baselines ;)

Honestly, the more I'm learning the more fascinating it seems. It's def more of a science/art.

I will have to see how I do, but knowing experienced growers like you and SmokingWings have seen the autos stunt/act up it will at least give me an idea of what I'm getting into. I might order a few photo period seeds and try them out alongside the autos just to have 2 baselines ;)

Honestly, the more I'm learning the more fascinating it seems. It's def more of a science/art.
Everyday I’m learning something new from this site and others but this is my family with the best grower’s advice. CL🍀

@Newgrowerx
Welcome to 420. We are all here to help.
I am one of the few Sterile Hydro growers so I won't comment much about soil and amendments, although I have learned a lot from the threads on this site and my earlier grows were all outdoor soil.
What I will suggest is, only run one strain and type of plant the first grow. Either photo or auto and only seeds of the same strain. When I grew before the turn of the century there were no autos so when I started again I tried a couple of different strains simultaneously. They each needed different amounts of nutrients and they grew and matured at different rates.
Retain your sanity as long as possible, be patient. I would suggest a single auto to start. Observe and experiment and apply what you can to your next grow.

Glad to have you with us.:Namaste:

I would like to do an indoor grow, in about a 2x4 space to get started - either growbox or just my wooden cabinet but leaning heavily towards a grow box. Here are my questions/setup, I'll try to keep them organized and brief:
I grow in a converted cabinet but would not recommend that to a totally new grower. Instead I would steer you to our sponsors and look into getting a complete kit including tent, light, and extraction fan. And then one of the nutrient sponsors for your nutes. Try to keep it simple your first round and start a grow thread where you can post pictures and ask questions. More experienced growers will follow along and offer helpful hints and tips and respond directly to any questions you have. This thing is a weed and anyone can grow it, but not everyone can grow it well.

Background: First grow, residential building, looking to get all my information checked if possible (thank you)
Goal - indoor grow, Seeds: Autos (Green Gelato, and Northern Light), Budget - I'd like to stay around 400 Canadian $ for my first grow and slowly build up to $1,000 over 3 grows
I'd second the concern about starting with autos. I know they are marketed as a great "intro to growing" alternative but I think you have to already be a pretty good grower to grow them well. Any little stressor you give to the plant will permanently stunt it, and the most common stressor, especially for new growers, is improper watering which is why I suggested you come check out #SIP Club. You'll get perfect watering every time and eliminate watering from your issues allowing you to focus on other things like environment (like temps and humidity) and proper feeding.

Another advantage to a SIP is you can plant your seed right into the final pot you'll use for flowering and thus avoiding any transplant shock. Transplanting shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're careful but that's just one more thing that could stress your plant.

1) Seedlings (Autos (Green Gelato, and Northern Light)- )I have an Easy Start seed germinator - I have read to use 4 ft. cool white fluorescent tubes for germination / seedlings and that light is not required until they sprout from the surface? This is from one forum post (here) :
"Seeds can also be placed directly into the grow medium with the pointed end facing downwards to germinate without the transplanting step. The medium is kept uniformly moist until the young seedling emerges on the surface.
A seed, when planted in the ground, will send out a tap root which needs to head downward and then will send out its two seed leaves. As the sprout grows toward the surface the soil resistance will help lever off the seed coat avoiding what we call "helmet head" where the seed coat stays stuck to the seed leaves and can cause issues with proper development. If you place the seed in the hole improperly with the root side facing up, the seedling will have to re-orient itself and sometimes has trouble doing so. You can avoid this by placing the seed sideways instead of up and down. Here and Here are a couple of posts I've done on how I do my seeds.

2) Post Germination, so once the first leaves start to emerge within a few days I would transfer to say 4" pots for about 2 weeks (do I use my soil medium in this initial grow phase as well) and use a HID light? After this I would move them to their final pot destination say a 5 gal? Also at this point after 2 weeks I would go full blast on the light?
Seeds don't need any light, but seedlings do. If you don't give them enough they will stretch and become leggy and have to be propped up. If this happens it's not the end of the world since you can bury the stem deeper when you up-pot and new roots will form along that stem just like they do with tomatoes. But the normal light you are going to use for veg will be fine for the seedlings.

3) Soil: FF Happy Frog seems like the best I have found in terms of beginner friendliness since it seems to have alot of nutes built in but I am worried about it being too nutrient heavy since I heard autos dont need that much? Also can I avoid the confusing soil mixes and just stick with something basic for my first grow or will I suffer? Also does anyone know any retailers that deliver FF in Europe?
Soil mixes are carefully crafted by the manufacturer to provide the proper balance needed between moisture hiolding and proper drainage, and maybe a gently seed starting mix vs. a mix with nutrients already added to it. I make my own mix so someone else will have to weigh in on that question.

4) Nutes: Are these necessary if I use FF Happy Frog with just autos? And is adding perilite always beneficial?
I don't know that soil mix but there are plenty that do that can comment. I wouldn't add more perlite to a commercial grow mix top upset the commercial balance without good reason to do so.

5) Ventilation, will just a small fan do? How do you exhaust out air?
Yes, ventilation is needed and filtered exhaust is imporant at least in flower as ours are quite fragrant plants which not everyone appreciates. Some smell like diesel fuel or cat piss, and not everyone warms to that floating around in the air. :p

6) Water - I read that tap water is not suitable and I should treat it? I read something about an airstone but don't really know if this is necessary... or what it would do
Depends on your tap water and what nutes you are using. Some a calibrated assuming you are using tap water with a typical level of minerals in it like calcium. Others assume you are using a reverse osmosis or other neutral water. Most municipalities add chlorine or cholaramine to the water to kill bacteria and microbes which might be an issue if you are wanting to grow organically. Chlorine will outgas in an open bucket aver 24 hours or so but the same is not true for cholramine.

7) Lighting - HID vs LED? Which and why - I thought initially I would use an LED light but seems like everything is pointing to HIDs, can someone give an opinion? I am really concerned about energy costs as well... for my space I wanted to go with about 400W for under 100$ Canadian, max $150. Is this possible?
HID lighting is giving way for many of us for LED lights whcih run cooler and cost less to operate. We have several sponsors specializing in lights you can explore.

8) Other things: I understand I need to be monitoring my pH, humidity, temperature (I saw something about CO2?), follow a water pattern for each stage of growth, but if there is anything glaringly wrong with my approach please let me know <3
pH monitoring is not needed is all types of grows, but with most bottled nutes it is strongly recommended. I grow organically and never pH my stuff.

Temp and humidity are generally good to pay attention to and a combined gage you can set in your grwo space is a handy tool. Different parts of the grow prefer different levels of each so, once you get your grow journal established we can give you guidance there.

Anyway, these are my initial questions as I have filled out most things into a shopping cart but decided to wait until I have expert opinions especially for the lighting and soil. I already purchased the grow starter kit and seeds. I am hoping to at least get a bit of bud out of my first grow!!
A good start, but I'd suggest you not overthink it. Jump in and we can help you navigate a long the way.

Also, I should say the above are my thoughts but each of us do things our own ways and you may sometimes get conflicting advice on various things that are basically 'grower's choice' and you'll adopt your own from advice offered here and around.

Good luck with your set-up and ask away. We are happy to offer sugestions.

@Newgrowerx
Welcome to 420. We are all here to help.
I am one of the few Sterile Hydro growers so I won't comment much about soil and amendments, although I have learned a lot from the threads on this site and my earlier grows were all outdoor soil.
What I will suggest is, only run one strain and type of plant the first grow. Either photo or auto and only seeds of the same strain. When I grew before the turn of the century there were no autos so when I started again I tried a couple of different strains simultaneously. They each needed different amounts of nutrients and they grew and matured at different rates.
Retain your sanity as long as possible, be patient. I would suggest a single auto to start. Observe and experiment and apply what you can to your next grow.

Glad to have you with us.:Namaste:
Most new grower’s overthink everything and forget it’s a weed. It’s nothing like any other vegetable or house plants you might have grown. I would think that the most important thing is watering, more new growers over water and kill their plants before they ever get growing.! CL🍀

For the most part the Fox Farms Happy Frog is considered one of the best for beginners and advanced growers. The nutrients and soil amendments are enough to get a plant started and growing.

It is a balancing act. If the plant is getting too large then yes it might need more fertilizers. Once the plant starts to flower it often needs more since the flowering process is demanding and many soils do not meet the needs unless amended at the right time. Yet, a grower can get a harvest without adding to the Happy Frog soil, it just will not be as much or as 'pretty' looking.

As far as I know the Fox Farms soils and nutrients are not sold in Europe. Maybe a very few specialty gardening stores but the prices will be high. Over the last few years there have been some discussions and messages from European growers who have found local companies with good pre-mixed potting soils. I cannot point to any particular message or discussion so you will have to read as much as you can.

Or go to the 420International forum in the list of forums and open that. Find a listing for the European country you are in and see what message topics are available.

I grow in a converted cabinet but would not recommend that to a totally new grower. Instead I would steer you to our sponsors and look into getting a complete kit including tent, light, and extraction fan. And then one of the nutrient sponsors for your nutes. Try to keep it simple your first round and start a grow thread where you can post pictures and ask questions. More experienced growers will follow along and offer helpful hints and tips and respond directly to any questions you have. This thing is a weed and anyone can grow it, but not everyone can grow it well.

I am trying Vivosun but they only deliver to us/canada and I'm in Europe. Their growkit looks awesome though. Also I was happy to see I got my seeds from Royal Queen Seeds which is a sponsor and where I was doing alot of reading. So I might have to order a grow kit from Amazon unfortunately... unless there is one from the sponsors that can deliver to me.

I'd second the concern about starting with autos. I know they are marketed as a great "intro to growing" alternative but I think you have to already be a pretty good grower to grow them well. Any little stressor you give to the plant will permanently stunt it, and the most common stressor, especially for new growers, is improper watering which is why I suggested you come check out #SIP Club. You'll get perfect watering every time and eliminate watering from your issues allowing you to focus on other things like environment (like temps and humidity) and proper feeding.

Another advantage to a SIP is you can plant your seed right into the final pot you'll use for flowering and thus avoiding any transplant shock. Transplanting shouldn't be too much of an issue if you're careful but that's just one more thing that could stress your plant.

I am going to be following your SIP guide and making my own since it seems like the idiot proof way to grow/water and also as a lazy person I appreciate things that take less effort. Only issue is if I can figure it out...

A seed, when planted in the ground, will send out a tap root which needs to head downward and then will send out its two seed leaves. As the sprout grows toward the surface the soil resistance will help lever off the seed coat avoiding what we call "helmet head" where the seed coat stays stuck to the seed leaves and can cause issues with proper development. If you place the seed in the hole improperly with the root side facing up, the seedling will have to re-orient itself and sometimes has trouble doing so. You can avoid this by placing the seed sideways instead of up and down. Here and Here are a couple of posts I've done on how I do my seeds.

Ok you definitely know how to plant stuff, and explain it really concisely. I am reading the red solo cup method and seeing Emilya's pictures.
Depends on your tap water and what nutes you are using. Some a calibrated assuming you are using tap water with a typical level of minerals in it like calcium. Others assume you are using a reverse osmosis or other neutral water. Most municipalities add chlorine or cholaramine to the water to kill bacteria and microbes which might be an issue if you are wanting to grow organically. Chlorine will outgas in an open bucket aver 24 hours or so but the same is not true for cholramine.

(Is this why I see people leaving water out overnight in buckets?) And should I be testing my water or just go ahead and use tap?
HID lighting is giving way for many of us for LED lights whcih run cooler and cost less to operate. We have several sponsors specializing in lights you can explore.

This is what I was hoping to hear! I kept seeing some articles/guides referencing HIDs and others LEDs. But I really wanted to stick with LEDs since the cost side seems way better.
pH monitoring is not needed is all types of grows, but with most bottled nutes it is strongly recommended. I grow organically and never pH my stuff.

Temp and humidity are generally good to pay attention to and a combined gage you can set in your grwo space is a handy tool. Different parts of the grow prefer different levels of each so, once you get your grow journal established we can give you guidance there.

A good start, but I'd suggest you not overthink it. Jump in and we can help you navigate a long the way.

Also, I should say the above are my thoughts but each of us do things our own ways and you may sometimes get conflicting advice on various things that are basically 'grower's choice' and you'll adopt your own from advice offered here and around.

Good luck with your set-up and ask away. We are happy to offer sugestions.

Much appreciated actually. This is going to be a handy reference guide for me as I start growing. I am trying not to overthink but also I want to approach this with appreciation for the subtleties and see some meager success at least on my first go. The thing is, I want to feel really comfortable and be able to visualize each step to know what to expect. I know myself and once it starts, if it goes poorly I may just give up or start giving myself sh*t.

I think I'll get a grow kit and start this journey though and begin a journal post ;) - Also can't thank you enough. I have about 3-5 more hours of digesting everything you said ahead of me. I also get distracted easily...

Happy Growing :)

For the most part the Fox Farms Happy Frog is considered one of the best for beginners and advanced growers. The nutrients and soil amendments are enough to get a plant started and growing.

It is a balancing act. If the plant is getting too large then yes it might need more fertilizers. Once the plant starts to flower it often needs more since the flowering process is demanding and many soils do not meet the needs unless amended at the right time. Yet, a grower can get a harvest without adding to the Happy Frog soil, it just will not be as much or as 'pretty' looking.

As far as I know the Fox Farms soils and nutrients are not sold in Europe. Maybe a very few specialty gardening stores but the prices will be high. Over the last few years there have been some discussions and messages from European growers who have found local companies with good pre-mixed potting soils. I cannot point to any particular message or discussion so you will have to read as much as you can.

Or go to the 420International forum in the list of forums and open that. Find a listing for the European country you are in and see what message topics are available.

Yes, doesnt seem like I can locate the FF Happy Frog stuff around here. Debating between CannaTerra or BioBizz Light Mix... will need to read up a bit about both but leaning towards BioBizz.

Back
Top Bottom