Not sure why a light isn't turning on

Hashashin

I have 3 600w HPS bulbs in my room in a straight line. The middle one isn't firing....I switched it with another bulb to make sure it wasn't the bulb and is not. I checked out the ballast and its vibrating like its on but either bulb thats in there isn't making a difference...any help?

Vibrating? Hope it's an old-school C&C ballast, lol.

I am assuming that you checked for loose connections.

Assuming that you aren't running all three on one circuit and overloading it - which could cause starting difficulties especially if all three are set to fire at the same time since you'd be drawing well over 1800 watts initially - then it's probably just the ignitor.

They're kind of hard to field-test unless you have an oscilloscope with a high-voltage probe. But if your ballasts are all of the same model and use the same ignitors, try swapping one of your known good ones. The ballast will probably fire. If so, a visit to your local electrical supply house should have you back up and running. Get two, they're cheap(er than a ballast, lol).

It could be something else. The capacitor is easy to test (for open or shorted condition) with a VOM. Be careful as it may have a stored charge and getting all lit up (in the wrong way ;) ) is NOT a good way to test one; disconnect and short the two terminals together to discharge it before testing. Set (D)VOM to ohms, highest scale. If meter shows a very low initial resistance that gradually increases, capacitor does not need replacement. If meter shows a high initial resistance that does not change, it is open and needs replacement. If meter shows a very low initial resistance that does not change, it is shorted and needs replacement.

Phillips' website has a good .PDF troubleshooting guide for ballasts. In fact, I took the above information almost word-for-word from it because it's late and I'm down from working all day today (err... yesterday) in the cold rain while sick. Go to Philips' literature page and download it. The one you want is titled HID Ballast Pocket/Troubleshooting Guide.

Good troubleshooter TS. Most large grostores will check and service for you as well, and have parts in stock.

If your lamp/bulb Is good, then it sounds like a ballast issue. I had a similar issue with a 400W HOW to MUSIC conversion bulb. After a while it would dimly light but not always fire up. With hps bulbs and this ballast I didnt have that problem. Is listen to Tourtured Soul, he's pretty knowledgeable. Good luck and let us know what u find.

Back
Top Bottom