Ocular viewer for trichomes

Durgan

Relatively new at this business and decided to study trichomes. Purchase two viewers and found them relatively hard to operate, meaning depth of focus was so shallow that it was awkward. But I got a work around.

Apparently deciding the time to harvest marijuana is decided by the color of the trichomes, which are too small for detail with the naked eye. A magnifier of 30x to 60X is required. Economic viewers of this sort have a small depth of focus, which make using, tedious and difficult. My improved method is to use a white background, place a sample to be viewed on top, covered with a flat plastic piece. This produces flat plane making focus easy. A glass slide would be ideal if one has access. Two types of readily available hand microscopes are shown which are 30 and 60 times magnification. I have no facilities for photgraphing though the viewers, but real time viewing is adequate.
20%20february%202018%20marijuana%20004_std.jpg

I'm sure that process would work but for determining the Trich color on the main cola it wouldn't be very effective.

I have a couple hand held loupes and a couple that clip onto my IPhone. You get accustomed to getting up close and personal to view the trich's. One thing I found that works pretty well is to use the clip on one for my IPhone and shoot a movie. You can then easily move along the frames until you find one that shows you the trich's in focus. I also download a software program that lets you extract an individual frame and you can move through the movie frame by frame.

I ordered a USB viewer to see just how a supposed good one works for viewing trichomes. About $50.00 Canadian.

81sAi-SRO8L._SL1500_.jpg

Not big on anything that requires another device to see (unless it's a phone).

I purchased this:

Carson MicroBrite Plus 60x-120x Power LED Lighted Pocket Microscope

61CLmYGD72L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You cannot take pictures with that device you show. It at best is a high powered ocular viewer. Diffcult to focus unless the subject is held flat like in my first posting on this thread. I don't have a phone, I use a Nikon J5 camera for my photos. The device I posted simply puts pictures on the laptop computer. How good I will find out. I find many of the pictures on this forum to be very poor. Not all but about 90 plus percent.

Back
Top Bottom