Omega Garden's Volksgarden Rotary Garden

MAXXIMUS can i ask a few questions?
i'm building a grow wheel right now but i was wondering how many revolutions does yours make a day? how tall are your plants when you harvest? thanks

Picture0023.jpg

nice job man, i have a couple questions about this omega garden. is it worth it? and how much do you think you could yeild off the one that holds 360 plants, and what strain is the best for it? please get back to me woudl apreciate it

I think the larger wheels are worth it you can fit alot of plants in a small space and if done right the first crop pays for itself.And as far as strain I would go with an indica but if using a hight inhibitor like bush master or dr nodes I think you could grow just about anything.
if done right I think it yealds approx 7g+ per plant
good luck friend

T.

Good information finally on one of these. I like the fact that it produces many i.e... 60 plants. However, this would not allow most Medical Cannabis patients and Caregivers in certain States the full oportunity to utilize this. Our limits here are 7 per person 3 in flower 4 in veg, and limiting a Caregiver to only 1 patient to grow for. Hopefully soon we will finalize at least the increase in plants alowwed to 12 and able to cargive for 5 patients. This would allow perfect use of this. I look forward to seeing more of your grows here.

I am a canadian mmj patient and after seeing this system I am pretty damn sure this will be the hydro system of choice for canadian considering our plant limits are so much larger. You see our docs have to actually prescribe a specific amount of canabis we are allowed to use each day ,from there Health canada sets our plant limits at 5 plants for each 1g/day that is needed so for instance I am allowed 10g/day so my licence allows for 50plants
2300 grams in storage and another 300g for the current month. With space constraints this would be the ultimate system its only to bad that they cant be modified to use an led light system as from the info I have seen on some of the new ones indicate that a 700w led will produce more useable light then 1500 watts of HID.

That is cool.:popcorn:

I would like to build one some time It looks simple.:smokin:
You got me on the hook for this one.;)

Pan4

It probably would be easy to build one I would personally use a truck tire cut in half to make the outside edges then coat it with a some form of epoxy that cures to a solid plastic that wont break down. From there run bars from the sides to make the holding places for the plants . For the drive you would only need to work on how big of a drive wheel you would need to give you the proper revolutions. In fact if someone who has one of these was able to take measurments of all the pieces in the drive system that would make fabricating a DIY version far easier as we wouldnt have to experiment with the proper "gear ratio"? thats the only words I can find for it.

I am a canadian mmj patient and after seeing this system I am pretty damn sure this will be the hydro system of choice for canadian considering our plant limits are so much larger. You see our docs have to actually prescribe a specific amount of canabis we are allowed to use each day ,from there Health canada sets our plant limits at 5 plants for each 1g/day that is needed so for instance I am allowed 10g/day so my licence allows for 50plants
2300 grams in storage and another 300g for the current month. With space constraints this would be the ultimate system its only to bad that they cant be modified to use an led light system as from the info I have seen on some of the new ones indicate that a 700w led will produce more useable light then 1500 watts of HID.

the plant count and space needed is more than you would think. . . 80 clones, let alone 360, takes a good 6-10 moms to get uniform clonage, so space for them, then 80 RW cubes laid out flat for a day or two before thay go in takes up quite a bit of space too. the system specs are real tight for MJ. . . but you may be right on the dr. nodes or bushmaster, that may be a way to maximize.

If you have little grow experience, this is not the system for you. . . if you are a green thumb, and can max out every aspect of your grow, this system does have potential.

Don't believe the LED hype. . . at best i think they may be 1w=1w compared to HID od even CFL. $=$ is no where near close. maybe one day, but not today.

GL guys.

the plant count and space needed is more than you would think. . . 80 clones, let alone 360, takes a good 6-10 moms to get uniform clonage, so space for them, then 80 RW cubes laid out flat for a day or two before thay go in takes up quite a bit of space too. the system specs are real tight for MJ. . . but you may be right on the dr. nodes or bushmaster, that may be a way to maximize.

If you have little grow experience, this is not the system for you. . . if you are a green thumb, and can max out every aspect of your grow, this system does have potential.

Don't believe the LED hype. . . at best i think they may be 1w=1w compared to HID od even CFL. $=$ is no where near close. maybe one day, but not today.

GL guys.

Well I dont go by the led hype As I am actually an electrician by trade specializing in programmable logic circuits and i have the the majority of peole who understand standarda and HId lighting that cannot be applies to led lights. For instance if you were to take 1500w of combined mh and hps light and measure the output by par which is basically the actually light that is used by the plant. Now with a properly balanced led light especially the ones that use 5 spectrums of useable light a 700w systems will produce more useable light when compared to a HID bug of equal wattage. So all in all the right led system you can get far more useable lights for your garden with led ights at a fraction of the cost. This isnt neccisarily true when you consider that not all led systems provide the multi spectrum lights ranging form 420nm up to 640nm covering the blue red and orange spectrm.

Well I dont go by the led hype As I am actually an electrician by trade specializing in programmable logic circuits and i have the the majority of peole who understand standarda and HId lighting that cannot be applies to led lights. For instance if you were to take 1500w of combined mh and hps light and measure the output by par which is basically the actually light that is used by the plant. Now with a properly balanced led light especially the ones that use 5 spectrums of useable light a 700w systems will produce more useable light when compared to a HID bug of equal wattage. So all in all the right led system you can get far more useable lights for your garden with led ights at a fraction of the cost. This isnt neccisarily true when you consider that not all led systems provide the multi spectrum lights ranging form 420nm up to 640nm covering the blue red and orange spectrm.

I assure you I am very familiar with diodes myself, from PN junctions all the way to direct band-gap semiconductors such as gallium arsenide.

now, I've seen the plant-light spectrum sensitivity charts, and I know all about PAR , and yada yada yada.

You say 700wLED > 1500w Mixed HID.

We could go tit for tat, stat for stat all day long, and get nowhere.
For me it always comes down to the empirical evidence.

I have in fact seen a journal that i would trust that pulled over 2.5 g/w from a 600wHPS. it wrapped the plants around the light to take advantage of the radial distribution from the source, but to me that's just optimizing the system to the light. perfectly legit to compare to.

Have you seen a reputable LED journal where someone topped that?

With LED's, you're exchanging intensity for focused spectrum.

One uncertainty I have with LED is if the very focused spectrums that are being used are as beneficial as it would seem on paper. Plants have evolved over millenia adapting to the spectrum of the sun. . . this is why it is more efficient in certain wavelengths, namely the weaker wavelengths of the sun. LED grow lights assume concentrating the light down to only the most sensitive bands will greatly improve efficiency. I am not convinced that this is true. The sun's spectrum is continuous. (except for very very small bands according to composition, hydrogen, helium, etc) MH and HPS spectrum's are also continuous, albeit perhaps not tuned for optimal PAR absorption, LED grow lights however have no breadth to their spectrum. 5 bands? Where is the research that shows this is actually beneficial?

I mean, I know they work, and 1g/w is very respectable, but are they 2x more efficient like you say, or 3x or 4x like cammie says, or 6x or 7x like i see on some advertisements?

empirical evidence bro. damn that burden of proof. lol.

I know, i just keep typing, sorry ;) but,

there are a lot of unknowns as well that people don't talk about, like Relative Flux vs. Junction Temperature. . . a Cree Xlamp LED with 100% Relative Flux at 25*C (room temp) only runs at 70% Relative Luminous Flux @ 150*Celsius.

also, Overall luminous efficiency is actually not all that impressive for LED's. . . it's only the ability to focus the spectrum that makes them possibly more efficient, enhancing their PAR rating. but in efficacy (lm/w) HID's and T5ho's are both more efficient.

anyways, sorry to ramble on after a smoke. . . if you want to discuss more, we should do it in the LED forum. even though maxx is not around often, this thread should be about the Volks. sorry maxx for ramblin.

i agree maxx.

i think i mgiht try the 2 600's when i get some extra loot, but i think 2 volks withh 600 each would be better by 50% at least. i don't want more product however, im already getting more than i need, i just want to try to get the best product ive ever smoked, and i've been to amsterdam. so the extra wattage will go in the same wheel, for me.

the biggest concern for those of you in hot climates is can you cool 1200w 4 -6 inches from the cool tube to say, 80-85 degrees tops? its not as big a problem for canadian growers or northern growers like me.

i was thinking of building (.. along with 300 other things) a cylindrical led light for the volks.
the thing about leds is that they aren't really putting out more light per watt than hps, they're about the same as cfl, its just that you can concentrate the light in the bandwith (color) that the plant uses most efficiently. so 90w of r/b acts like 300-400w of white. i like how the new ones are putting in orange now.
I could build one at cost because i know circuits and can build the led driver, which has to be constant current, not constant voltage. there is a great website that will build a diagram of any wattage led panel but you still have to build it and the power supply. . . anyways the point. even buying the leds and building one yourself an 800w primo led panel would cost you about 6 grand. the bright 1w leds are about 8-12 bucks each depending on how many you buy (800). i think ill wait till they come down in price, which is happening quickly enough for me.
something like 2 100 watt cylinders on either side of the hps bulb as supplemental might be nice, or you could always get crappier leds. 5mm or something. just as supplenmental.

lol, im about to hit post "quick" reply.

Hi Wheelo, I have been following your post on this garden system for edu purposes just in case my state goes medical (next month I hope and pray) and your musings on the lighting made me post for the first time. Mad props for you and Maxximus btw, great enough post to make me stick my head out!

The reason I posted is, instead of using LED's have you ever considered using a sulphur plasma bulb instead? Same benefits of LED's but MASSIVELY more light strength.

you can have a mother plant from a clone in a month and a half. A seed will take about 3 months. Theoretically, seeds are supposed to make more vigerous moms, however it will be hard to tell the difference btwn 60 clones from one or 60 from another.

Also I would take an SFV OG mom from clone over any seed of any kind from any company anywhere. There are a bunch of clone strains in So Cal that are superior to any seed. Why do you think they call them ELITE?

Every area in Cali has it's "Elite" strains, just like other areas of the world, my brother, but they all started somewhere, at some point in time, as a seed.

I'll be doing another Volks grow in a month or so, I'm growing some donors for clones right now. :thumb:

Awesome!

What strain are you going to be growing in it?

Back
Top Bottom