Omega Garden's Volksgarden Rotary Garden

MK Ultra is going to be the strain of honor, I'm familiar enough with it now to feel confident it is a good candidate, it's a fast, short, dense, potent, flavorful breed, with lots of resin. The mothers are all from seed, and are original DNA genetics. So while that means no hybrid vigor, it does mean consistency, which is important when using the VG.

I assure you I am very familiar with diodes myself, from PN junctions all the way to direct band-gap semiconductors such as gallium arsenide.

now, I've seen the plant-light spectrum sensitivity charts, and I know all about PAR , and yada yada yada.

You say 700wLED > 1500w Mixed HID.

We could go tit for tat, stat for stat all day long, and get nowhere.
For me it always comes down to the empirical evidence.

I have in fact seen a journal that i would trust that pulled over 2.5 g/w from a 600wHPS. it wrapped the plants around the light to take advantage of the radial distribution from the source, but to me that's just optimizing the system to the light. perfectly legit to compare to.

Have you seen a reputable LED journal where someone topped that?

With LED's, you're exchanging intensity for focused spectrum.

One uncertainty I have with LED is if the very focused spectrums that are being used are as beneficial as it would seem on paper. Plants have evolved over millenia adapting to the spectrum of the sun. . . this is why it is more efficient in certain wavelengths, namely the weaker wavelengths of the sun. LED grow lights assume concentrating the light down to only the most sensitive bands will greatly improve efficiency. I am not convinced that this is true. The sun's spectrum is continuous. (except for very very small bands according to composition, hydrogen, helium, etc) MH and HPS spectrum's are also continuous, albeit perhaps not tuned for optimal PAR absorption, LED grow lights however have no breadth to their spectrum. 5 bands? Where is the research that shows this is actually beneficial?

I mean, I know they work, and 1g/w is very respectable, but are they 2x more efficient like you say, or 3x or 4x like cammie says, or 6x or 7x like i see on some advertisements?

empirical evidence bro. damn that burden of proof. lol.

I know, i just keep typing, sorry ;) but,

there are a lot of unknowns as well that people don't talk about, like Relative Flux vs. Junction Temperature. . . a Cree Xlamp LED with 100% Relative Flux at 25*C (room temp) only runs at 70% Relative Luminous Flux @ 150*Celsius.

also, Overall luminous efficiency is actually not all that impressive for LED's. . . it's only the ability to focus the spectrum that makes them possibly more efficient, enhancing their PAR rating. but in efficacy (lm/w) HID's and T5ho's are both more efficient.

anyways, sorry to ramble on after a smoke. . . if you want to discuss more, we should do it in the LED forum. even though maxx is not around often, this thread should be about the Volks. sorry maxx for ramblin.

Hey Wof have you seen this?

HID vs LED

Ive been looking into diving in the grow field starting off with a closet grow and after upgrading to a tent with a VG.

Quick question has anybody pondered using the VG as a Veg chamber and letting it finish flowering in a separate tent? Or is that just more or less strain dependent.

PS dis Maxximus ever do a round 4?

:peacetwo:

One uncertainty I have with LED is if the very focused spectrums that are being used are as beneficial as it would seem on paper. Plants have evolved over millenia adapting to the spectrum of the sun. . . this is why it is more efficient in certain wavelengths, namely the weaker wavelengths of the sun. LED grow lights assume concentrating the light down to only the most sensitive bands will greatly improve efficiency. I am not convinced that this is true. The sun's spectrum is continuous. (except for very very small bands according to composition, hydrogen, helium, etc) MH and HPS spectrum's are also continuous, albeit perhaps not tuned for optimal PAR absorption, LED grow lights however have no breadth to their spectrum. 5 bands? Where is the research that shows this is actually beneficial?
And as you mentioned plants have evolved to work with the sun and considering there are now many strains of cannabis plants that have been propogated and bred entirely under Metal Halide and Hps lights I kinda think strains like that while only 20 years old for an agressive breeder that could be quite easily 40 generations of a plants entire evolution under HID lighting.
In my opinion those plants offspring are going to thrive much better under the conditions they were bred to live in so I kinda think in about 5 years there will be enough breeders who have grown there strains with led lighting that there will be huge increase in the yields and potency of plants grown under led lights.

So after a few years people will say led's are now perfected and I dont think it will have much of anything to do with the lights as it will have to do with the plants having been aclimatized to the type of lighting that led's throw off.

do the containers hold the 3x3x2 rockwool or 3x3x4 rockwool ?

all i saw listed was 3 inch rockwool but 2 extra inches tall would give more room for roots and from what ive read on 420 ----- healthy roots + heathly leaves = fat meds

hey bro I got a similar system I am wondering if you have any problems with chem burn and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks man T.

Damn, I want one ... or 10 of those ferris wheels of bud

My basement would be an amusement park .. of sorts.

Too bad they are $2000 (without light/ballast) :(

So cool these wheels are ;)

Picture0212.jpg

Picture0032.jpg

TorturedSoul said:
Kind of rough on sativa growers. But the cool factor is definitely there.

Great for hash makers or fans of stubby indicas ;)

Hello Max

How much is veg time for this run and how many hours of lights? thanks.

I have a Bonzai 120 machine similar to this Omega "Volks Garden".

How many branchs do you have on each plant?

Please help by answer.

Thank you very much for this info. I am putting my in my Bonzai 120 ( but only used 75% capacity as advise ) to give it more room. This weekend hope they will show root as I just clone them last Wednesday.

thanks for this thread OP... someone was asking me about the volksgarden the other day and i didnt have a bloody clue what to tell them, getting a better idea of what theyre all about and i really like your results - keep it up :)

Thanks for the teaching with the screen. Looks like it is not easy to lineup the screen but it is a good idea to protect the flower from not burning and touching the glasstube.

maxx,

its true, the light will be less intense, but then again a 1000w hps is generally recommended to be hung at least 24" away from the tops. an 8' wheel has a max distance above the light of 48". when the plants are done if they are 30-36 inches tall that puts them well within the sweet zone. I figure the max depth to be 6' with a 1000w. plus plants like strawberries or lettuce require much less intense light. A 6' diameter wheel 6' deep would be a happy medium i think. i might start there if and when i decide to put a new project together.

I've been working on a system to make it cheaper anyways with a parabolic mirror that focuses the suns light onto some fibre optic cables to run natural light into my room. a small solar tracker is used to follow the sun. My system is still only model scale, but its close to done. that , in addition to hps bulbs, could be a fairly cheap knockout setup. it should be able to reproduce the suns rays with less heat and be brighter than natural sunlight.

Hello Wheelofortune, good morning.

So glad to hear you mention about BONZAI rotation machine, I was so depress as can't find any person or website or forums who own or manage the Bonzai , too bad for me.
Can't believe there is no website or support from Bonzai Machine.
This force me to follow post and learning about the rotation machine from Omega garden.
Glad these both system are so similar and basically operate the same way as far as I am concern.

If thing goes well, my clones will be showing roots in the next 6 days or less.

I am prepare to post a complete journal for my project for my 1st run by the end of this week.
1. start with Bonzai setup, fine tune the wheels and test the system with just water to make sure it operate as it suppose to be.
2. Transplant clone to the Bonzai, they are Super Skun strain. " do anyone know how long it takse for this strain to floower?
3. I will Veg them for apprx. 4 days or may 5 under 18 hours of light "1000Watts" HPS. and will put it on 12/12 for flower

I am so glad to stage for have this machine instead of the Volks Garden.

Stay tune. Have a great week.

Back
Top Bottom