Pineapple time!

I got a pineapple at the grocery store and saved the crown to start a new houseplant. All trimmed and now just let it scab over for a week or so before potting it. Pineapples are epiphytic bromeliads and really easy to grow but they do get up to 4 feet across so it's destined to be a patio plant. This top wasn't as fresh as I'd like so I hope it takes.

Pineapple20230101.jpg

Staple at my house but being latitudilly challenged I've never given growing pineapple a second thought. Tweaking my interest it is!

Two to three years before bearing fruit, so much for that plan. $6.00 for me and they're not all that big.

I'm still not sure my cutting is going to make it. The decay seems to have stopped spreading, though, and there is still some green so I haven't given up yet. I've yet to taste a vegetable or fruit that didn't taste way better fresh from the garden. Always more flavorful or sweeter.
I'm curious- what light cycle did you use to make it fruit, @Evergreen89 ?

It had a fruit on it when I baught it but was tiny. I had it in my tent through out veg and flower for my meds so not to sure. I do have two store bought tops over water for 6 months and barely have roots. Here it is the day it came home
5849D300-CE9F-42E3-BAFF-CC114BC1F80B.jpeg

I've had the plant under a 15W High CRI Cree LED bulb with 5000K color temp for the last couple of months for 12 hours a day. It hasn't developed a growing tip yet but it isn't dead yet either, so time will tell. I harvested my #2 Do Si Dos plant, so I moved the Pineapple under my second Pro-2000W LED Grow Light in the tiny closet and I wouldn't be surprised if it took off quick. These Samsung LEDS are pretty amazing.

20230401_221446r.jpg

FINALLY! After almost 5 full months I've got some growth, not from the center (?!?) but in the form of an offset pup coming out from under a leaf. I trimmed the leak back so the pup gets more light.
I think I'll wait until it gets bigger, then cut it and put it in another pot. That will encourage the original cutting to make more pups!

20230528_133229cr.jpg

20230528_132351r.jpg

20230528_132442r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom