Pipe Cleaning 101

I just broke my bong today when I tried to use boiling water to clean it out, is there a way to clean a two foot bong without having it shatter all over you?

ok this is my (i think) perfect way to clean a bowl out or a pipe
1. fill a small glad container with ISO about 1/2 inch in the bottom and the rest with water, VERY GENTLEY swish the bowl around to ensure the ISO get fully into the bowl
2. let it sit over night
3. get a normal drinking straw (plastic)and cut 3 or 4 slits down the strawso it can fan out
4.insert the straw in the large hole at the bottom of the bowl and rotate and watch that gross resin come off
5. rinse with warm water and if not clean , put the bowl back in the container for 5 min and keep using more straws

hope this is usefull info for everyone

In all my glass pieces i just let the resin chill to I dont have any nugs and i just pack a bowl of resin. Msot of the weed I smoke is heady bud so the resin doesnt even tatse that bad and gets you fried. I was thinking of making hash but it seems like too much of a hassle

isopropyl alcohol and salt will do the trick as well... you can also heat up the alcohol for like 10 seconds in the microwave but be SUPER careful... don't want to blow yourself up or anything...

Flammables in the microwave? Yeah, I don't think I'll test that.

lots of people won't... works like a dream if you can psych yourself into it though... :D i do it. but i don't think about consequences too much so... nevermind :allgood:

Remember that when you have a microwave door lodged securely into your forehead.

oh don't worry. i will. all i'm saying is i've never had a problem. i've always been pretty good with chemicals and safe and putting a small amount of alcohol in the microwave for ten seconds has never given me a problem. i was just sharing information :D

i didnt read through this whole thread do i dont know if this has been said or not but you cazn boil a glass peice put it inot a boiling pan on the stove and let it boil. it will be crystal clear after about 15 mins. if u wanna save ur resin then scrape it with a paer clip and make a resin bowl it is a really different high.:Rasta:

Always took care of my glass with isopropyl alcohol only, NO SALT! Do you love that ROOR? Gonna keep it? Why would you use something as course as salt to clean with? Epsom salt is the worst. And remember if you're shaking your glass piece and shaking it hard it's like sand blasting on a small scale, don't do it. Over time (& not as long as you'd think) the salt will etch the glass, that's a fact. Think I'm wrong....picture in your mind quickly the Grand Canyon, carved by water over time. Glass shows imperfections quickly too.
Want a second opinion? ask any college science or geology professor, anyone familiar with the hardness scale & abrasion.
A bit more than a novice in abrasion myself I can tell you that almost any medium can be used as an abrasive in various settings. Salt is no exception and has been used by me to finish polishing marble. Epsom salt grains are huge and very abrasive. Treat that ROOR better than that.
Also.....if your piece looks a bit cloudy or just not as bright as it could after an alcohol cleaning try this from time to time. Get some 'Lime Away' or 'CLR' (Calcium/Lime/Rust remover) dilute some w/ water and let your piece soak for 10-20 mins. All tap water has some amount of calcium, over time it adheres to glass & alcohol will never remove it. Caution:Lime Away & CLR are toxic (but used in restaurant kitchens as a cleaner) but water soluable with rinsing, so rinse thouroghly, as you would using any cleansers.

Now I have used salt & alcohol to see if it would clean my bong better, but I let it sit passively until all the fine grain salt I used had +/- dissolved. It didn't get it any cleaner until I returned the sparkle and lustre with Lime Away on the next major cleaning.

Stoner4Life said:
Always took care of my glass with isopropyl alcohol only, NO SALT! Do you love that ROOR? Gonna keep it? Why would you use something as course as salt to clean with? Epsom salt is the worst. And remember if you're shaking your glass piece and shaking it hard it's like sand blasting on a small scale, don't do it. Over time (& not as long as you'd think) the salt will etch the glass, that's a fact. Think I'm wrong....picture in your mind quickly the Grand Canyon, carved by water over time. Glass shows imperfections quickly too.
Want a second opinion? ask any college science or geology professor, anyone familiar with the hardness scale & abrasion.
A bit more than a novice in abrasion myself I can tell you that almost any medium can be used as an abrasive in various settings. Salt is no exception and has been used by me to finish polishing marble. Epsom salt grains are huge and very abrasive. Treat that ROOR better than that.
Also.....if your piece looks a bit cloudy or just not as bright as it could after an alcohol cleaning try this from time to time. Get some 'Lime Away' or 'CLR' (Calcium/Lime/Rust remover) dilute some w/ water and let your piece soak for 10-20 mins. All tap water has some amount of calcium, over time it adheres to glass & alcohol will never remove it. Caution:Lime Away & CLR are toxic (but used in restaurant kitchens as a cleaner) but water soluable with rinsing, so rinse thouroghly, as you would using any cleansers.

Now I have used salt & alcohol to see if it would clean my bong better, but I let it sit passively until all the fine grain salt I used had +/- dissolved. It didn't get it any cleaner until I returned the sparkle and lustre with Lime Away on the next major cleaning.

I never thought of the salt scraching my glass before. I new it was removing the resin with abrasion but never thought about it hurting the glass. Thanks for brining this to my attention. :allgood: :peace:

I'm a brass player and when your mouthpiece gets all yucky...I tend to use listerine. When I have a piece that needs to be cleaned...i take like 50 tooth picks, cinnamon flavored tooth paste and clean the bowl out in the shower until its all clean. Then i let the bowl sit in a cup of listerine for a day. Think about it...listerine cleans like 99% of germs so why not use it for your dirty bowl or pipe. Then when you take it out it should be just like new....when your bowl doesnt even smell like weed then you know u cleaned it mad good! :)

ok im gonna let you know whats up for real......how about you dont clean your bowl? how about you let the resin build up? how about you just keep the hole clear and shit will be fine....but seriously man...i had a glass bowl for about 6 months...i remind you a good ounce a week went through this bowl...ide say after 6 months i dropped it and it broke....and when i had taken it apart to see what lye beneath...there it was....the biggest ball of res i ever seen....formed around the borl of the pipe....trust me you can get a 2 gram ball off of shit like that and smoke it and get you high as fuck my dude yeehaww.............

no i dont really talk like that im just trippin hard as fuck

Salt and alcohol are fine for glass pipes & bongs, but can scratch plastic bongs. I found out the hard way. Now I run hot water with a brush thru my plastic bong to get all the surface gunk off the surface. Then I plug the stem, fill the bong with hot water, then add about an ounce of Method Kitchen Cleaner or Amway's LOC. Both of these products are natural cleaners and do not contain harmful chemicals, or so the MFG's claim. I then scrub it with the brush and within a few minutes the bong looks brand new.

hey, i was just wondering if there could be anything else added with salt besides rubbing alcohol to clean a bowl. like would hydrogen peroxide work :hmmmm: the uses on the bottle does say for cleaning teeth which made me think since plaque and resin build up on things. of course i won't even attempt it until there's a positive answer though.

ok im gonna let you know whats up for real......how about you dont clean your bowl? how about you let the resin build up? how about you just keep the hole clear and shit will be fine....but seriously man...i had a glass bowl for about 6 months...i remind you a good ounce a week went through this bowl...ide say after 6 months i dropped it and it broke....and when i had taken it apart to see what lye beneath...there it was....the biggest ball of res i ever seen....formed around the borl of the pipe....trust me you can get a 2 gram ball off of shit like that and smoke it and get you high as fuck my dude yeehaww.............

no i dont really talk like that im just trippin hard as fuck

Alot of people dont like smoking resin. Some of us dont mind though. I cleaned out my homies girls pipe and it hasn't been cleaned in months. We got a fatty resin ball after I scraped it and cleaned it.

When times are tough, it calls.

We were all flying that day with that though.

Back
Top Bottom