Plant Alchemy With KNF: Korean Natural Farming And Jadam

The JMS is easy to make if you want to try your hand at this.

I use a bucket (2gal, 5 gal) and suspend a 1 gal paint strainer bag into which I put a mashed up baked potato and some leaf mold soil (although I use worm castings instead, but similar outcomes). Add a hint of sea salt and fill with non-chlorinated water, cover and let it sit near your plants so you cultivate the microbes in the same environment you'll be using the stuff in. In a couple of days you'll get some bubbles that show the microbes are hard at work. At the peak of the bubbles is the peak of the population of what you're cultivating and that's when you use it. Of course your environment will dictate how long that takes so you'll need a few rounds to dial it in.
Hi Azi, I am still thinking on this. Is it possible to keep it shelf stable?

Hi Azi, I am still thinking on this. Is it possible to keep it shelf stable?
No. The microbes die off pretty quickly so you have to use it immediately. When making it you are abnormally growing way more microbes than are sustainable so there's an immediate boost to the soil or leaf surfaces but then they die out, get eaten by other microbes and the system comes back to balance.

You're really goosing the population very temporarily but it can really help in microbe deficient environments. But that's why I often do the Mini-me version. I L into 2.5 gallons of water is easier for me to apply than say 50 gallons if made in a 5 gallon bucket.

No. The microbes die off pretty quickly so you have to use it immediately. When making it you are abnormally growing way more microbes than are sustainable so there's an immediate boost to the soil or leaf surfaces but then they die out, get eaten by other microbes and the system comes back to balance.

You're really goosing the population very temporarily but it can really help in microbe deficient environments. But that's why I often do the Mini-me version. I L into 2.5 gallons of water is easier for me to apply than say 50 gallons if made in a 5 gallon bucket.
If I am using a premixed craft cannabis soil with all of the organics already added, surely the microbial population is not deficient. Would you still recommend it, and if so, how and when would you apply the microbes in my grows?

You can apply them either to the soil or foliar. You'll see more benefit in depleted soils but topping them off every few weeks won't hurt and may help. Be sure to dilute as suggested at least the first round. I've burned some plants using it straight up.

You can apply them either to the soil or foliar. You'll see more benefit in depleted soils but topping them off every few weeks won't hurt and may help. Be sure to dilute as suggested at least the first round. I've burned some plants using it straight up.
Top tip, thanks Azi.

So, I've been thinking on this and I wonder if this is the correct strategy: I start a batch to coincide with the first watering of the big pot, so that the microbes are at their most active when I up-pot? Or will this burn the new plant? What is the correct timing?

So far it looks like this may be a winning combination; a good mix of soil ingredients plus a weak feed of JLF every watering down the pipe.

Week 7 of flowering and still have most of the fan leaves which is not typical for me, and decent color. A little washed out but I burnt the leaves by going to a too strong dose. I didn't start in with the JLF until flower was underway so I'll start earlier in the future and see if I can get ahead of the need.

Next I want to tweak the input combinations a bit but I think I am pretty close to my goal of having a decent grow with just stuff I can source myself, and mostly from my yard. My upgraded castings and compost are finally coming on-line as well so here's hoping the next few rounds show some positive results!
I'm about three weeks in to the "weak JLF with every watering" routine and I don't think I've ever had plants look better. Better color, much bigger leaves, stronger growth. Man, I like it! :thumb:

So much so that I think I'll try foregoing most of the weekly top dressing i do and see if that negatively affects things. My weekly top dressings usually consist of worm castings, malted barley powder, crumbles of comfrey and nettle, and extra compost if needed, and then watered in with WCA. I'll probably continue with the malted barley though as that one is more about enzymes that the other components don't have.

The JLF Blend I made is 40% FAA, 40% comfrey/nettle, and 10% each seaweed and WCA. The fish and the WCA are typically used at much lower concentrations so there was some maths involved to arrive at the input amounts, and then I use the blended mix at a 1:65 ratio whereas 1:20 or 30 is the more standard rate for the JLF's. And then anytime a plant needs water it gets the diluted blend. In flower they get the blend plus an equal amount of my Fruit & Flower mix at a combined 1:32 ratio, but that might get adjusted going forward.

And I'll probably stay with the weekly half top watering of WCA since the soil structure can probably use some extra Ca along with what I give the plant through the reservoir.

The next step is to mix up a new soil mix for the new year which I'll probably do in the next day or two to get it homogenized before trying a plant in it. I've had pretty good luck with my homemade mixes and I want to settle on a standard combination. It won't be much different from what I've been using as far as inputs go but I'm excited to see how it and my new JLF Blend work together.

I'm about three weeks in to the "weak JLF with every watering" routine and I don't think I've ever had plants look better. Better color, much bigger leaves, stronger growth. Man, I like it! :thumb:

So much so that I think I'll try foregoing most of the weekly top dressing i do and see if that negatively affects things. My weekly top dressings usually consist of worm castings, malted barley powder, crumbles of comfrey and nettle, and extra compost if needed, and then watered in with WCA. I'll probably continue with the malted barley though as that one is more about enzymes that the other components don't have.

The JLF Blend I made is 40% FAA, 40% comfrey/nettle, and 10% each seaweed and WCA. The fish and the WCA are typically used at much lower concentrations so there was some maths involved to arrive at the input amounts, and then I use the blended mix at a 1:65 ratio whereas 1:20 or 30 is the more standard rate for the JLF's. And then anytime a plant needs water it gets the diluted blend. In flower they get the blend plus an equal amount of my Fruit & Flower mix at a combined 1:32 ratio, but that might get adjusted going forward.

And I'll probably stay with the weekly half top watering of WCA since the soil structure can probably use some extra Ca along with what I give the plant through the reservoir.

The next step is to mix up a new soil mix for the new year which I'll probably do in the next day or two to get it homogenized before trying a plant in it. I've had pretty good luck with my homemade mixes and I want to settle on a standard combination. It won't be much different from what I've been using as far as inputs go but I'm excited to see how it and my new JLF Blend work together.
Hi Azi! Happy Holidays!
Just wanted to let you know that your link to JLF seems to be broken.

Keep up the good research.

Hey ScottR,

Happy Holidaze to you!

Which link is that? I don't think I have a link to JLF anywhere, but I'm happy to try to fix it if you can point me.
In your signature, 3 from the bottom... JLF Jadam Liquid fertilizer, lessons learned

Highya Azimuth,

Glad to see you're getting great results from your experiments!! I'm not there yet, but working at it. I still have great results, though, and am pleased to using local flora and fauna!! Keep up the good work!! Happy Smokin'

Highya Azimuth,

Glad to see you're getting great results from your experiments!! I'm not there yet, but working at it. I still have great results, though, and am pleased to using local flora and fauna!! Keep up the good work!! Happy Smokin'
Thanks @Bode . It's definitely a work in progress but I getting closer!

Happy New Year to the whole Bode clan! 🎇

Highya Azimuth,

Nettles very early. Then dandelions and clover, and grass clippings, then comfrey and mid may the horsetail will be up. Plus, we have field flora to choose from for more experiments. I must try the malted barley. I used to brew it back in the day. Made some nice, tasty beer!! This year I have 4 gal containers I've made into SIP's and hope to have a nice cannabis harvest from them next year! Happy Smokin'

Highya Azimuth,

Nettles very early. Then dandelions and clover, and grass clippings, then comfrey and mid may the horsetail will be up. Plus, we have field flora to choose from for more experiments. I must try the malted barley. I used to brew it back in the day. Made some nice, tasty beer!! This year I have 4 gal containers I've made into SIP's and hope to have a nice cannabis harvest from them next year! Happy Smokin'
That sounds like a pretty good list! :thumb:

** 2024 Grow Mix **

Happy New Year everybody!

And for me the new year brings with it a new soil mix which I think will probably be the basic mix I go with for a bit to see how it will do combined with my Jadam extracts. None of the components are new and all have been used in varying proportions in prior grows so I don't expect there will be many issues.

This mix will bring me mostly full circle as I stated with the Coot's recipe which is equal parts of CSPM, compost, and aeration and works great. I'm just not a fan of CSPM.

GroMix (7L)
30% Old soil from prior rounds
30% Organics (equal parts worm castings, compost, leaf mold, and coco)
30% Aeration (hydroton clay balls)
10% Biochar

 Amendments
2T Eggshell powder
2T Mineral Mix (dusts of stone, sand, char, Azomite, Gypsum, Oyster shell, Dolomite lime)
1T Meals Mix (Malted barley, Neem, Karanja, Crustacean)

And to that I'll add my Jadam extracts. My current veg extract is 40% Fish Amino Acid, 40% comfrey/nettle, and 10% each of water soluble calcium and seaweed JLF, and I'll add that to every watering down the fill tube at a weakish 1:65 dilution rate. In flower I'll add an equal amount of my Fruit & Flower extract for a 1:32 dilution rate.

To that I'll add a weekly top dressing of malted barley and comfrey/nettle crumbles, and some compost as needed. I'll lay off adding the castings every week and see what that does to my bug issues.

My castings and compost are now of the enhanced variety as I've been adding most of the above inputs along with fruits and flowers and so it should be a much more robust version of my prior castings which have worked well even in their more basic form.

So, that's the Plan for 2024. At least to start. I'm sure there'll be some tweaking along the way as that's how I seem to roll, but I feel the heavy lifting is mostly over and I can settle in to the fine tuning part of this journey. My guess is that the tweaking will mostly be to the amendments ratios added at the beginning, but well see how it goes.

I'll make up a batch today and let it settle in for a while before running another round of my workhorse Blueberry CBD plant.

** 2024 Grow Mix **

Happy New Year everybody!

And for me the new year brings with it a new soil mix which I think will probably be the basic mix I go with for a bit to see how it will do combined with my Jadam extracts. None of the components are new and all have been used in varying proportions in prior grows so I don't expect there will be many issues.

This mix will bring me mostly full circle as I stated with the Coot's recipe which is equal parts of CSPM, compost, and aeration and works great. I'm just not a fan of CSPM.
What is CSPM?

 GroMix
30% Old soil from prior rounds
30% Organics (equal parts worm castings, compost, leaf mold, and coco)
30% Aeration (hydroton clay balls)
10% Biochar

 Amendments
2T Eggshell powder
2T Mineral Mix (dusts of stone, sand, char, Azomite, Gypsum, Oyster shell, Dolomite lime)
1T Meals Mix (Malted barley, Neem, Karanja, Crustacean)

And to that I'll add my Jadam extracts. My current veg extract is
Veg extract? Tell me more please. Do you add this to all of your vegging plants as a matter of course?

40% Fish Amino Acid, 40% comfrey/nettle, and 10% each of water soluble calcium and seaweed JLF, and I'll add that to every watering down the fill tube at a weakish 1:65 dilution rate. In flower I'll add an equal amount of my Fruit & Flower extract.
And again, please tell me more. I'd love to have home brewed shelf stable extracts to boost my plants growth and flowering.

Back
Top Bottom