Plant is curling down

toddtony

Hey this is the middle of my first grow..I’ve had watering issues thought I had solved them maybe not? Or could this be a result of something else?

These are random seeds two including the problem plant seem to be more sativa dominant…while one is indica
Plant is in 5th week of week veg nearing 6th growing in fox farm ocean forest soil
using fox farm nutrients following their general feeding schedule
they are In 5gal pots I was watering them every 3 days the first 2weeks in the 5 gallon pots this last week has been every 2days

Other than watering I’ve added an additional fan outside of tent which has made the temp drop from 86-93 degrees to about 80-86 which seems to be helping the growth of the other plant
IMG_1651.jpeg
IMG_1650.jpeg

Here is the indica looking one below:
IMG_1653.jpeg

they are In 5gal pots I was watering them every 3 days the first 2weeks in the 5 gallon pots this last week has been every 2days
Your watering schedule could definitely be the issue. How did you determine your schedule?

The plants should only be watered when then need it, not on a specific schedule.

What were your watering issues that you think you fixed?

I’ve had watering issues thought I had solved them maybe not? Or could this be a result of something else?
Welcome aboard.

It looks like the new growth on the plant is wilting because it is not getting enough water. What was the earlier watering issue? Knowing that will help figure out if the problem is still happening or not.

We are not there to see, touch, and watch what the plant is doing during the day so there will be questions from different people who are each noticing different things. Enough questions and enough answers and a pattern might form and you should end up being able to fix what is going wrong.

Your watering schedule might be the #1 issue. How are you deciding that it is time to water? Are you watering slowly using enough water that eventually a small amount comes out of the drain holes? Have you lifted the pot when the soil was completely saturated and are able to compare that with how heavy it feels a day or more later?

The soil in the pot does look dry, at least on the surface, but that could be because of the lighting when the photo was taken. Or maybe there is not enough water in the soil from top to bottom of the pot.

Have you read through this thread on "How to Water a Potted Plant"? Not the exact name but just click on the link.

... the temp drop from 86-93 degrees to about 80-86 which seems to be helping the growth of the other plant
That was hot to start but the new temp is better. My flowering tent runs at 80-84 at plant canopy height when the lights are on. But, if there is not enough water in the soil the plants will start to wilt, starting at the top and working down. The big thing is to try to see the plant just starting to show signs that it needs water several hours to as many as 12 hours before those signs get to looking like yours.

thanks for replies.. I was judging when I’d water off these 3 factors I’d stick my finger until about the knuckle in the soil seeing if the soil peeled away from side of pot and by seeing if leaves on plants were sagging….the indica looking plant leaves would pop back up after a watering however the problem plant has been curling at the tips the past two waterings ….earlier water problems were…I let them dry out way too much In seedling (they looked near death) I was using tap water the first couple of weeks from seed and I only got a ph kit maybe two weeks ago I am now using distilled water with a combination of milk water ph 6.3-6.5

Also the plants are elevated enough for more to see the run off maybe I was watering to fast? Because I’d notice runoff from the bottom or sides of pot near the bottom after hardly adding any water certainly not enough to completely saturate 5 gallons worth of soil? By the end of watering I generally only use 1 gallon of water between the two big pots

Also the plants are elevated enough for more to see the run off maybe I was watering to fast? Because I’d notice runoff from the bottom or sides of pot near the bottom after hardly adding any water certainly not enough to completely saturate 5 gallons worth of soil? By the end of watering I generally only use 1 gallon of water between the two big pots
Some soil mixes, like peat moss, go hydrophobic when they dry out and it's difficult to rewet them and that can cause narrow channels that let the water pass through without much absorption.

Emilya's watering thread is a good one to teach you a  very effective strategy for these plants.

Or, for your next grow, come check out #SIP Club. A different style of container that takes all of the guesswork out of watering since the plant waters itself.

Milk water? What is that, and why are you using it? Just wondering...

Also, what size are those pots? I know I can drop a whole gallon into my 10g pots and not get any runoff at all. Seems like maybe your soil is super dry/hydrophobic as mentioned above. I'd recommend some kind of wetting agent, (like yucca root extract, or one of any number of commercial products available) to help hydrate the soil and make it a good root home again.

Also, what size are those pots? I know I can drop a whole gallon into my 10g pots and not get any runoff at all. Seems like maybe your soil is super dry/hydrophobic as mentioned above. I'd recommend some kind of wetting agent, (like yucca root extract, or one of any number of commercial products available) to help hydrate the soil and make it a good root home again.
Good idea. Or even some homegrown aloe mixed in with the feed water.

Some soil mixes, like peat moss, go hydrophobic when they dry out and it's difficult to rewet them and that can cause narrow channels that let the water pass through without much absorption.

Emilya's watering thread is a good one to teach you a  very effective strategy for these plants.

Or, for your next grow, come check out #SIP Club. A different style of container that takes all of the guesswork out of watering since the plant waters itself.
Thanks I think the hydrophobic thing might be the problem I think I’ve researched how to fix that

I’m not sure as this is my first time growing plants in general but from what I’ve looked up people have used 50/50 or 60/40 water and organic or powder milk from what I’ve read it helps with preventing mold and stuff of that sort…also may have similar beneficial properties to calmag ..they are 5gal pots

I’m not sure as this is my first time growing plants in general but from what I’ve looked up people have used 50/50 or 60/40 water and organic or powder milk from what I’ve read it helps with preventing mold and stuff of that sort…also may have similar beneficial properties to calmag ..they are 5gal pots
Interesting... I'd heard of it used as a foliar spray, not as a drench tho. It doesn't make the soil smell bad ? I would caution adding a lot of extra calcium if you don't actually need it, but tbh I have no clue how available the calcium in milk would be.

Interesting... I'd heard of it used as a foliar spray, not as a drench tho. It doesn't make the soil smell bad ? I would caution adding a lot of extra calcium if you don't actually need it, but tbh I have no clue how available the calcium in milk would be.
Yeah I’ve mainly just been spraying them down and the top of the medium I’ve directly used it to partially water twice and the soil did smell like rotten milk a bit but went away in maybe 6hrs ..will see if I notice anything positive before use again haven’t noticed anything bad yet

I was judging when I’d water off these 3 factors I’d stick my finger until about the knuckle in the soil seeing if the soil peeled away from side of pot
It can work to do a test of soil moisture that way but it does take some practice.

I was using tap water the first couple of weeks from seed and I only got a ph kit maybe two weeks ago
Now that you have the pH kit what is the pH of your tap water? I do not see that number mentioned, just the pH of the water & milk mix. Best to know the tap water number even if it never comes up the conversation again.

I am now using distilled water with a combination of milk water ph 6.3-6.5
Using a pH Up or pH Down might cost less than buying distilled water. Skip the combination of milk with water. The milk is good for 'helping' to prevent Powdery Mildew but I do not remember ever reading that it helps with other mildews or with any molds. Easier to buy a product that is specifically for molds and mildews and something else that is going to cost less.

also may have similar beneficial properties to calmag
The actual amount of calcium added to milk is to get the level up to about 30% of what is recommended for people. It is not a specific amount that will be helpful to a plant. I am not sure what amounts of calcium are available with their main three part fertilizer group. But, it is easier to just get a Cal-Mag additive and add it to the fertilizing schedule.

Back
Top Bottom