Ployploidy in Marijuana anyone experimenting with it now?

last year I had an Afghan Kush turn polyploid. There was no discernible difference in the smoke compared to her sisters.

Here's some pics of the top.

Celery_007.jpg
Celery_006.jpg
Celery_005.jpg
Celery_004.jpg
Celery_003.jpg
Celery_002.jpg
Celery_001.jpg

Josh, how are you able to determine that that plant is polyploid? polyploidy is usually determined by counting the number of chromosomes. to my limited knowledge, there is not an appearance characteristic that will tell you a plant has one or more extra sets of chromosomes. that's a really cool rug by the way

Virginia, along those same lines, i don;t think any one can tell you from a picture whether that plant is or isn't polyploid. people commonly refer to plants with extra leaf sets as polyploid but that is probably inaccurate. they are demonstrating an alternative leafing pattern called whorled phylotaxy but not necessarily showing spontaneous polyploidy.

one of the branches of my PP the stem has actually got so many leaves it is now growing pointing down towards the soil and the stem is not round it is flat,i'm getting my girls out later for a watering i will get some pics,weather its a polyploid or not doesn't really matter to me i think it's kinda cool cos it's growing different :)

I took a 4 clones a while back,one didn't root,one died a week after and 2 survived,i gave one away couldn't bring myself to give both so i kept this one under a real low powered cfl in a cardboard box,the pics show her spitting multiple leaves per node.
DSC_08622.JPG
DSC_0861.JPG
DSC_08591.JPG
DSC_08603.JPG

I am going to clone her again when she gets bigger :cheesygrinsmiley:

Cheers :peace: VG :peace:

Apparently a lot of polyploidy traits come out of morocco. It is a very prevalent thing there. :surf:

Congratulations RL on your MOTM win! Interesting, I wonder if it is a mutation in an attempt to survive the high heat and low humidity of the region by creating more fan leaves without having to create another side shoot or grow higher.

Congratulations RL on your MOTM win! Interesting, I wonder if it is a mutation in an attempt to survive the high heat and low humidity of the region by creating more fan leaves without having to create another side shoot or grow higher.

I think you're on the right track with that thinking. From what I saw on Strain Hunters Morocco Expedition, they had some pretty tall ass polyploidy plants, about ~5 feet tall. Looked exactly like Josh's celery stick, just way way bigger. Leaves coming out of the celery stick and no actual branches. The only thing it came to was the "crown" at the top, which was just a huge cluster of fan leaves.

It might not even be actual polyploidy. Actual lab work would need to be done to show an increased number of chromosomes. But I do believe it is a morphological advantage to surviving in nature. In my opinion, the advantage is water storage and enhanced efficiency for drought conditions. So you may very well be right about the environment of Morocco causing this physiological mutation in high prevalence. I can see how what the plant does is interesting, it is deciding not to put the energy into synthesizing branch protiens, instead it puts out big solar panel fan leaves which literally are redirecting all the photosynthesized energy into direct storage into the fibers of the main stalk as cellulose. It is that continual storage of energy into the main stem, rather than trying to grow new branches, that conserves water and energy. The plant is trying to survive and ultimately reproduce, they aren't exactly thinking "Hey I wanna make this guy big buds", so it's really interesting that this is one adaptive addition to a plant who is so spectacular and mysterious. And after all, they are still evolving, so the skies the limit. :cheer:

Oh and thank you for the kind words!

I know this is old, but my plant got burned by the light, 115w cfl, lost around half its branches, and although 4 survived one of the bottom branches has now polypoid ( if that's correct ) 4 leaves at same height around one branch. I have now lst top 2 branches at hope polypoid?, and opposite branch will enlarge, 1st grow complete noob, does this happen often, and unsure about how to post pics

Back
Top Bottom