Pondering An Outdoor Summer Grow

Thanks for joining this conversation. What you shared here is really informative - I think the "fast" idea might work really well for my situation.
The fast seeds will be good for you because you will get the long veg period so the plants can get larger.
DrSeeds, could you please give examples of seeds which fit into the Fast Flowering category. No doubt these would be of great interest to most people growing outside in southern Canada and northern US.
Hi, you can check out the fast seeds HERE

The fast seeds will be good for you because you will get the long veg period so the plants can get larger.

Yes! I came to the same conclusion. I'll be placing an order today, thank you.

Good evening, everyone...

I am still a novice at this, but I have caught the grow-bug. My first grow is currently indoors, and just hit the 30-day mark in veg. (You can see my amateur efforts in my journal in my signature line).

I am thinking about doing my second grow outdoors this summer, and would appreciate some advice. I live in Southern Ontario, and it is pretty safe to plan around a last frost date of May 24, and first frost date of October 24, so about 5 months or 21 weeks frost-free. I am thinking that I will grow in-the ground (good soil in my veggie patch). My goals are: 1) save the electricity by not growing indoors during the heat of summer; and 2) grow some monster plants, if possible!

As I was thinking about this, I came up with three options that I would appreciate your comments and criticisms of....

1) Take clones from 3 of my 4 current plants (the 4th one is an auto, which I don't think can be cloned successfully). The three are GSC, Green Crack, and Trainwreck. (The 4th is an auto Purple Kush).

2) Start from scratch with seeds that I already have (they are all FEM/Photos): White Widow; Tangie, Blueberry, Northern Lights, Granddaddy Purple, and Zkittlez.

3) Buy new seeds that are autos, so I don't have to worry about sunrise/sunset/daylight hours.

Of these options, I am least excited about #3, as I understand that autos will ultimately be relatively small in stature, more limited yields, which kind of misses the opportunity of growing outside without space restrictions. I'll be back in the tight little tent come the autumn. But if there is a good reason to reconsider autos, please let me know.

If I were to take the cloning route, it would be a few weeks from now before I could take cuttings - my plants are still pretty small (I think). So if I took a cutting in late April, grew inside for 4-5 weeks, would it be far enough along to transplant outside on June 1? Would June 1-October 1 be long enough a season for the flowering cycle to complete?

On the other hand, if I dropped FEM/Photo seeds in the next day or so, they would have about 6 weeks to germinate and start veg cycle before being transplanted outside on June 1. But the same rough window of June 1 - October 1 for the outside season.

What do you think of my idea, and the various options I raised? Other options that I should consider?

Thanks!
Hello , I am in Ontario to and gonna do my 1st outdoor grow this summer , I have decided on 4 auto candy cane plants for my grow in cloth pots and soil , I just put the seedlings in 1 gallon pots in veg tent last night , and gonna run another 2 plants in early may - start in the veg tent for 3 weeks then move outside , the 1st 4 plants will take 48-50 days of veg and 46-49 days of flower , I just grew 4 of the same plants in my veg tent this winter and this is where I got these day numbers from , I am gonna start all the plants in the veg tent to see if I can pull off a six plant grow for the duration of the whole summer here , the last 2 plants should be ready by the middle of September at the latest , I am just not sure how much of a difference the hid lighting vs sunlight will make on the plant growth time , and I will be topping all plants and maybe a little Lolli popping too .

Hello , I am in Ontario to and gonna do my 1st outdoor grow this summer , I have decided on 4 auto candy cane plants for my grow in cloth pots and soil , I just put the seedlings in 1 gallon pots in veg tent last night , and gonna run another 2 plants in early may - start in the veg tent for 3 weeks then move outside , the 1st 4 plants will take 48-50 days of veg and 46-49 days of flower , I just grew 4 of the same plants in my veg tent this winter and this is where I got these day numbers from , I am gonna start all the plants in the veg tent to see if I can pull off a six plant grow for the duration of the whole summer here , the last 2 plants should be ready by the middle of September at the latest , I am just not sure how much of a difference the hid lighting vs sunlight will make on the plant growth time , and I will be topping all plants and maybe a little Lolli popping too .

Cool! I'm moving forward with my outdoor grow as well. I decided to try some "fast" genetics, but still photos. I'll be starting the germination process today (if mail arrives!) and then transplanting outdoors in late May/early June. Hope your grow goes well!

Hi, you can check out the fast seeds HERE
Out of the four there, is there one that you would recommend for a first time (but very well researched) grower using coco/perlite outdoors in southern canada.

Out of the four there, is there one that you would recommend for a first time (but very well researched) grower using coco/perlite outdoors in southern canada.

:welcome: to the forum...

Have you given any though to the effect rain will have on your coco/perlite outdoor grow? Will you keep the rain off of your substrate? The rain can wash all the nutrients out.

:welcome: to the forum...

Have you given any though to the effect rain will have on your coco/perlite outdoor grow? Will you keep the rain off of your substrate? The rain can wash all the nutrients out.
Hey Old Salt! I’ve been following your posts for a while now. Really appreciate what your doing for the community.

Now as far as my grow, I have considered the rain but not for that reason specifically so I appreciate the insight. I’m going to be using pots which will allow me to store my plants in my shed on any days that have the potential for rain. It’s not a perfect system however and I’m open to any suggestions.

I considered a cover that wraps around the main stem, and inverted funnels that the plant can grow through. I think the wrap around cover is the best idea. I'd use a piece of neoprene foam like in cloning around the stem. This should be easily put on and removed depending on the weather.

Hi Bard. I wont comment on all the items raised here but I do have a couple.

There are links in my signature to last years grow and this years just getting started.

Tips:

When starting indoors set your lights to whatever the daylight hours will be on the planned outside date.
Read up on 'Plant Hardening' and follow that for sure. I fried a couple having them in full sun too long too soon.

For monster plants:

- be prepared to provide support to branches, and protection from wind.
- depending on plant density and the dampness of September weather, be prepared to thin them out and to spend time - possibly lots of time - checking for molds and critters.

One benefit to autos outside is that you can get two harvests in that seasonal window.

This summer, I'm going to grow both. I want to experiment with a monster plant, and 2 auto crops. I have Northern Lights auto, and Blue Dream. NLAs have a rep for being easy to grow and providing good yields of quality cannabinoids.

I'll share some pics:

Harvest from 1 NLA plant

This is the NLA in the meadow

Monster plant motivation (not me or my plant - just a pic from the interweb.

G'day all

Part of last years experience was that the plants in the ground did better than plants in containers. Certainly less work with watering because the containers dry out faster than in the ground. I dont live full time where the plants are growing so they need to be self sufficient.

The terrain I have is not flat. I put the plants in naturally existing hollows, like a bowl, so water naturally collects there. The soil is high sand subsoil under black loam so there is great drainage preventing drowning.

G'day all

Part of last years experience was that the plants in the ground did better than plants in containers. Certainly less work with watering because the containers dry out faster than in the ground. I dont live full time where the plants are growing so they need to be self sufficient.

The terrain I have is not flat. I put the plants in naturally existing hollows, like a bowl, so water naturally collects there. The soil is high sand subsoil under black loam so there is great drainage preventing drowning.

Nice! Sounds like a great situation and soil condition. I will be doing my summer grow in the ground as well, in the corner of the veggie patch. Going to try to make the soil a little better with some sand, compost, etc. Seeds arrived yesterday, and are in damp paper towel right now! Pics to follow when there is something interesting to share.

I'm hoping that everyone in this thread posts some pics later in the summer to show how their season is going. Especially growers along the southern part of Canada and northern part of US.

For now, my seedlings are 2 wks old, and look it. LOL Feliz!

I'm hoping that everyone in this thread posts some pics later in the summer to show how their season is going. Especially growers along the southern part of Canada and northern part of US.

Northwest united states, right by Canada border. Here's my last outdoor. Force flowered 1 month before natural light went to 12/12.

Started my summer grow - thanks everyone for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom