Any Saskatchewan weed nerds out there?

Sask420grow

Hi all. As you can tell from the headline I’m from Saskatchewan and I’m going to be starting an outdoor grow but I’m not sure as to when to start. I already have them in veg indoors. They are all roughly 2 to 3 inches tall right now my plan was to put them out by June 1. I’m southern Saskatchewan. Is June 1 a good time to start them outside? I’m just worried about frost and cold temps.
I’m gonna be putting them into a super soil that I’m gonna be preparing in the next week or two so it can cook for the recommenced month or two. I’m pretty stocked for this grow haha

Also would be pretty cool to meet some other growers from around here to help each other and learn from one another. I’m a new grower so to have a “mentor” would be a great asset.

Is June 1 a good time to start them outside?
Not exactly sure of your latitude...I'm @ 44'N and June 1 is the customary outdoor start date here...

@Oldbear ...where are you again?

Also...start a grow journal...it is more helpful than you imagine. :)

and :welcome:

What kind of plants are you growing? I don't think you will get much bud out of photo type plants ,as the growing season is to short .Not going to get 12/12 photo period till early sept. by Nov. it will freeze.
To get any good buds you will have to grow auto flowering plants

What kind of plants are you growing? I don't think you will get much bud out of photo type plants ,as the growing season is to short .Not going to get 12/12 photo period till early sept. by Nov. it will freeze.
To get any good buds you will have to grow auto flowering plants
That’s a great point. I got photo clones right now. Blueberries. Your probably right about the freeze but I could build a green house around them if it does get too cold. It gets cold fast here. Our fall season is sometimes short of at all... welp. Guess we will see. As Ricky says on trailer park boys. I wish I had a dope growing mentor when I was growing up instead of all that denial and error. Just grow it right the first time and get some dank buds.

Hey, Sask,

Fellow Cdn here - from Southern Ontario. I am still a total novice myself, so take all of this with a serious grain of salt. I have my first ever grow currently underway (journal linked in my signature below), but was also thinking about an outdoor grow for round #2. I started a thread a day or two ago, and got some really helpful replies to with my thinking.

Like you, I will be starting indoors and then transplanting after the last frost date (for me, that will be just after the May long weekend). And of course the plants need to be done well before the first frost (likely mid-October for me). You can find out the typical first/last frost dates on Google, data from the Government of Canada.

Again, I'm no expert, but I think you need to figure out when the days will start getting short enough to trigger the flowering cycle on your photos. @Old Salt shared an interesting link that showed that for Toronto, that would occur at about 14 hours of daylight, in early/mid August. So for me, I have from mid-August (start of flower) to mid-October (first frost) to get flowering started and finished - about 8 weeks. I also have some Blueberry strain seeds in my collection, and they are listed as 7-9 weeks, so it will be tight for me, but they are on the list for my summer grow.

I suspect (but please confirm) that your daylight hours will get shorter earlier than me triggering flowering, but your first frost will likely be earlier too, cutting your season short.

I had thought about autos, but likely ruled them out for my outdoor grow. They will be daylight independent, which is great, but they also tend to be smaller and yield less, which for me kind of defeated the purpose of growing outside with almost unlimited space. Given your geographic situation, autos may be the only way to go.

One other idea for you to consider: @DrSeeds (Canada-based seed vendor, and a sponsor here) has a collection of a few "fast" strains that might be worth taking a look at. I haven't grown those types of plants, but I have ordered from them - good service and quick delivery.

So I don't have a lot of clear-cut answers for you, but hopefully the thoughts shared above will give you a little more information and variable to consider. Good luck with your grow!

Hey, Sask,

Fellow Cdn here - from Southern Ontario. I am still a total novice myself, so take all of this with a serious grain of salt. I have my first ever grow currently underway (journal linked in my signature below), but was also thinking about an outdoor grow for round #2. I started a thread a day or two ago, and got some really helpful replies to with my thinking.

Like you, I will be starting indoors and then transplanting after the last frost date (for me, that will be just after the May long weekend). And of course the plants need to be done well before the first frost (likely mid-October for me). You can find out the typical first/last frost dates on Google, data from the Government of Canada.

Again, I'm no expert, but I think you need to figure out when the days will start getting short enough to trigger the flowering cycle on your photos. @Old Salt shared an interesting link that showed that for Toronto, that would occur at about 14 hours of daylight, in early/mid August. So for me, I have from mid-August (start of flower) to mid-October (first frost) to get flowering started and finished - about 8 weeks. I also have some Blueberry strain seeds in my collection, and they are listed as 7-9 weeks, so it will be tight for me, but they are on the list for my summer grow.

I suspect (but please confirm) that your daylight hours will get shorter earlier than me triggering flowering, but your first frost will likely be earlier too, cutting your season short.

I had thought about autos, but likely ruled them out for my outdoor grow. They will be daylight independent, which is great, but they also tend to be smaller and yield less, which for me kind of defeated the purpose of growing outside with almost unlimited space. Given your geographic situation, autos may be the only way to go.

One other idea for you to consider: @DrSeeds (Canada-based seed vendor, and a sponsor here) has a collection of a few "fast" strains that might be worth taking a look at. I haven't grown those types of plants, but I have ordered from them - good service and quick delivery.

So I don't have a lot of clear-cut answers for you, but hopefully the thoughts shared above will give you a little more information and variable to consider. Good luck with your grow!
I replied to this HERE

im Going to grow these clones outside and then be ready to build a greenhouse around them if needed. Space heater will save them. Next season I’ll be doing some pheno hunting to get a good regional strain. Always learning.
Any Saskatchewan growers? Thanks all.

im Going to grow these clones outside and then be ready to build a greenhouse around them if needed. Space heater will save them. Next season I’ll be doing some pheno hunting to get a good regional strain. Always learning.
Any Saskatchewan growers? Thanks all.
Indicas are generally better for colder regions because they are native to areas north of the equator. Sativas require more intense sun because they are native to equatorial regions. If you are going to grow Sativa you need high light levels.

Indicas are generally better for colder regions because they are native to areas north of the equator. Sativas require more intense sun because they are native to equatorial regions. If you are going to grow Sativa you need high light levels.
Great info. So far they are blueberry strain. Supposed to be Indica so should be ok. Are you saying I shouldn’t try a Sativa because it required closer sunlight like in Mexico? Makes sense lol. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom