Power outage in veg?

So it looks like I will have a power outage for more than 24 hours. Is this enough to fuck with my month-old plants that are in veg? Make them flower or turn hermie or something?
They can handle it a couple of times in veg without freaking out. I have a belief that in veg a plant adapts to anything you do to it, in bloom, do the same things and the plant will freak and think its life is coming to an end, and in response it will hermi to keep the species going.

I put them out near a window but they still probably got about 12 hours of darkness at one point, other than occasional light from a weak little lantern.

The ice was so thick on my trees that a bunch of them just snapped over, some of them right on my fence.

Widespread power outages due to this ice storm, so I was a bit distracted before ultimately realizing my plants were sitting in darkness. A winter wonderland.

It takes a few days or longer depending on the age and strain for the floragen plant hormone to build up and flip the metabolism. A young plant will take longer. In case you wonder about some of the biology...

In the dark, the plant produces a phytochemical floragen. During the day, the floragen breaks down. When there is more dark than light, the floragen builds up. When it crosses a threshold, it, triggers production of other plant growth hormones including gibberelin. That creates the stretch.

Any light you give them to break the long dark period will prevent it so the window sunlight was a good idea. Back in the day there was a technique called the Gas Lantern Routine, so i guess lanterns worked :) Needs to provide as much light as a month of moonlight, is what i’v read.

As posted above, light irregularities in flower is more likely to cause a problem. Stress induced Hermies are a stress reaction during flower. Hermies can be genetic, Some strains are more likely to them even with stress.

In any case, as the previous posters said, one day is no problem for a young veg.

I put them out near a window but they still probably got about 12 hours of darkness at one point, other than occasional light from a weak little lantern.

The ice was so thick on my trees that a bunch of them just snapped over, some of them right on my fence.

Widespread power outages due to this ice storm, so I was a bit distracted before ultimately realizing my plants were sitting in darkness. A winter wonderland.
I figure that you were in the path of the snow and ice storm that moved across the country from the west to the east. Hopefully you will not end up in a situation where it could take several days up to a week to get the trees cut back and the lines fixed and the juice moving through the wires.

It takes a few days or longer depending on the age and strain for the floragen plant hormone to build up and flip the metabolism. A young plant will take longer. In case you wonder about some of the biology...

In the dark, the plant produces a phytochemical floragen. During the day, the floragen breaks down. When there is more dark than light, the floragen builds up. When it crosses a threshold, it, triggers production of other plant growth hormones including gibberelin. That creates the stretch.

Any light you give them to break the long dark period will prevent it so the window sunlight was a good idea. Back in the day there was a technique called the Gas Lantern Routine, so i guess lanterns worked :) Needs to provide as much light as a month of moonlight, is what i’v read.

As posted above, light irregularities in flower is more likely to cause a problem. Stress induced Hermies are a stress reaction during flower. Hermies can be genetic, Some strains are more likely to them even with stress.

In any case, as the previous posters said, one day is no problem for a young veg.
Good explanation, Redcup.

Back in the day? The Gas Lantern Routine is still valid and being used by some growers. I have used it to stall some Marijuana plants. Cut back the hours of light they received to 12/12 and then had half of the lights come on after 5 hours and stay lit for 1 and a 1/2 hours before going off.

I had read an article about a legal grow operation in California that used spotlights to light up the plants for an hour or so each night to break the flowering cycle until the grower and the plants were ready. Then they stopped the nighttime lighting and got ready to harvest on their schedule, not the schedule determined by the sunrise and sunset times.

It is an old technique, going back to the late 1800s when florists still did not have electricity in their greenhouse but needed a way to fool their flowering plants to either start or stop flowering. These days they can just throw the switch and light the greenhouse up for an hour or two in the middle of the night.

Back then most of those gas lanterns were the "white gas" style, often known as Coleman Lanterns which used the Coleman fuel. The lanterns threw out more light than the Propane lanterns that are now on the market. Tried both styles over the years up at the wilderness cabin.

So it looks like I will have a power outage for more than 24 hours. Is this enough to fuck with my month-old plants that are in veg? Make them flower or turn hermie or something?
This is my biggest nightmare, we have temps of 10 and freezing ice. Right now snowing. We don’t really get snow here nor ice like this.. it happens but not to this extent. I am iced in and have been since Sunday. No outage yet fingers crossed

ok here is what you do for some light in a power cut , turn all high watt items OFF , fridge , cooker , electric heaters , have one tv on , anything that will drain the power too quick switch off so the inverter runs your emergency grow lights

get an inverter a car battery charged , make a lead with a plug on each end , turn off your main trip for power supply THE MAIN ONE coming in
plug one plug into the inverter and the other side into any wall socket , connect battery switch on , you now have power to run some CFL or small watt leds . we use this for our heating and tvs in a storm , lol the neighbour's scratch their heads :hmmmm::thedoubletake:
:thumb:

ok here is what you do for some light in a power cut ,

get an inverter , make a lead with a plug on each end , turn off you main trip for power supply THE MAIN ONE coming in
plug one plug into the inverter and the other side into any wall socket , switch on , you now have power to run some CFL or small watt leds . we use this for ourt heating and tvs in a storm , lol the neighbour's scratch their heads :hmmmm::thedoubletake:
:thumb:
What ? Ok McGiver , I’m certain this works but I’d fry myself

What ? Ok McGiver , I’m certain this works but I’d fry myself
If you are worried about frying yourself then the best thing to do is stay away from the stove.;)

The Nutty Prof brings up a good idea. I am so used to running a 12 volt light, TV or radio off of a battery that I forget about the inverters.

Many larger hardware stores and auto part stores will sell inverters of some sort. In theory one of these could be hooked up to the battery in the car or truck. Then an extension cord could be run into the house and the lights could be plugged into the cord. This would avoid having to unplug or turn off everything else in the house.

One of the older threads that so many just hate has a similar solution to power outages. The guy who wrote msg #3 in the thread linked below uses an inverter designed for (camping) trailers along with 2 deep cycle batteries.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/blackout-coming-up-possible-to-run-t5-off-battery.347208/

yes they are cheap now about £40 will buy a good one , i have a caravan with a solar trickle charge so i use the caravan as my base in a storm for the whole house as im connected through the wall of our house . , i switch the main off into the house and can have a large CFL run on the leisure battery to inverter for my girls where they sit down our yard , its all connected , i switch one off one on job done :) , and our oil heating wastes no energy running it, its like emergency lighting in a building when the batteries kick in, only i do it manually :thumb:

We had 6 power cuts last year and i was doing a mainline and it was a pain in the butt, every other week , i swore before id never do a regular again, so after trying and getting 6 cuts trying after 5 years ill never ever do another regular as long as i live LOL !!:ganjamon:
Not for me, you all need a medal that do them :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom