preventing bud rot

Cbdman

I had a grow do so good this summer. The buds were super dense and extremely heavy. This was my best grow so far, BUT when chopping I noticed some of the buds had bud rot. So in the trash it went, I was pissed but trying to figure how to prevent the bud rot.

Not much you can do in my experience.. When the conditions are right, the conditions are right..

Massive fans for air circulation and covering them to keep the rain off of them is what I did but it still doesn't completely stop bud rot if the weather conditions are right for rot..

You can see my fans and roof setup here..

Some Strains are more resistant to it than others (same as some can handle hotter or colder temps better than others), but outside is always an issue as hard to control what it does completely out there. Can usually just get rid of the parts that have the rot if you do it carefully (especially if you catch it still on the plant, you can remove carefully and try and keep it from spreading as much), as I have never had it spread/show up in stuff I have dried and cured in jars when I have caught it all before drying. Last year I had it covered from the rain and still had some issues, this year was running different Strains and weather was less cooperative and I had less of it w/o covering them, so I need to do some more research into Strains that more resistant to it for growing in my area if I'm going to continue with outdoor ladies, as the weather was all over the place this year and nowhere near "typical weather" for here.

Yes, some of my plants were absolutely more or less susceptible to mold than others..
IDK why and they were just all random bagseed genetics so don't have any good stats on strains unfortunately but it is true, based on my experience..

The agent orange X sunshine strain bagseed plant was less susceptible than the big GSC bacseed plant..
Genetics weren't stable though so the plants were just mutts..
Blueberry Kush bagseeds were the most stable/similar to eachother..

Even my one plant with the thickest buds was less susceptible than others with smaller colas..

That and controlling the plant so it gets better air flow can affect it too, as places that can get damp but not dry out as fast could be problematic. So more open plants one would think would be less apt to it than a squat bushy thing, but who knows if that is the way it works w/o experimenting ;) . Finding a Breeder in your general geographic area (latitude or even climate wise as parts of CA and OR have different types of weather in the same State) might help too especially if they grow them outside, as they will be less likely to breed with something that causes them or their clients grief.

That and controlling the plant so it gets better air flow can affect it too, as places that can get damp but not dry out as fast could be problematic.

I have been recommended to heavily defoliate the inside of my outdoor plants to prevent bud rot, but I don't understand how increasing airflow in the center of my plants is going to help reduce budrot on the tips of my colas..

Makes no sense to me..

As far as I can tell, in my northern climate, 45th parallell in the snow belt, if I want to grow trees, I'm going to deal with budrot, and will 99% most likely chop on budrot conditions rather than plant finishing conditions..

BUT!!!
I may have noticed this year growing outdoors, that their is a sweet spot for budrot.. Warm and muggy..

Since it has gotten colder, budrot seems to have slowed or stopped, on what I left outside because it wasn't worth chopping it was soo early..

Few times it snowed, frosted a few times, roof blew off, but no mold on what is still out there.. Maybe because it's cold past the point of peak budrot conditions?

Budrot is the MAIN limiting outdoor factor here..

I had a grow do so good this summer. The buds were super dense and extremely heavy. This was my best grow so far, BUT when chopping I noticed some of the buds had bud rot. So in the trash it went, I was pissed but trying to figure how to prevent the bud rot.

Try this for bud rot/PM/Boytrus and just about anymold out there.

Southern Ag - Garden Friendly Fungicide. It's organic and its a bacteria. You can spray it on and water it in. Its systemic which means it will get into the plants vascular system and prevent mold from the inside and you spray/foliar on and it will kill mold and mold spores. It was a life savor for me this summer.

Back
Top Bottom