Pt.2 - Korloin Goes Hydro!

Very nice set up have been looking into the hydro myself, have my barkalounger pulled up and a beer cracked for this one. Look forward to some big buds, Went and popped for some of the kc fem autos so they will be here shortly not to happy with the girls right now, will give them another week or so and see if they do anything. Peace OG

Welcome OG and thanks!! Getting it dialed in slowly but surely. ;)

Always a spot and a cold one waiting for you here! :)

Ok. Today's been a busy one. :)

Removed DrizClone2 from the grow. Had a decent sized lateral rootmass on her. Just wasn't doing anything vertical.
In retrospect, I think I recall reading something about cuttings taken from the bottom of the plant having inherent difficulties.
Guess I proved that, if its true! :) But I could be mis-remembering too. (more likely)

Ran out of Ph-down yesterday and am broke as F*@&! But I had copped a bottle of sodium bisulfate at the restore a while back and decided to make a solution with that so I could get the seedling into a bucket and out of the hempy. Had a bit of trepidation regarding using pool/ spa products in the hydro, but after a bit of research decided it was a minimal risk, considering I'll only be using it for 2 res changes at most. :bitingnails:

So I transplanted the seedling (think I'm gonna have to name these too eventually) into the now vacant bucket (after a thorough cleansing of course) and no ill experiences were had. :) (love when that happens!)

Removed the KC45 from the kitty litter bucket and back into the veg area with the veggies and herbs. Gonna have to do a lil' rearranging in there so my peppers can get a little more light. It (the veg area) was thrown together without much forethought, so it's sure to go through a few phases until I figure out how to best utilize it. Ultimately the veggies will be gone from there. Just needed somewhere where I could get 'em going until the mrs. and I can come to an agreement about where in the house she'll "let me" grow veggies. (remember to pick your battles, right!?! :) I did get her to agree to split the cost of another LED for them! 1 for the K'ster! Lol!!)

Set up the fogger bucket in the box and brought the humidity up to a more appropriate level.:high-five: Maybe that will kick them bitches into gear! (no offense ladies.:kisstwo:) And gave the CO2 jug a good shake to rile up them wee yeastie beasties and get some percolatin' on! That's about the time I realized it was after 11pm and I hadn't eaten anything but a banana @ noon!

Took a few pics with my laptop since the ipod pics just blow no matter what you do. Hopefully these will be a bit less blurry, but they don't make it very easy to take a pick of anything but your own mug with a laptop, do they? Hmmph.

And here we are!!

KC45/ veg area
Photo_on_1-6-13_at_12_01_AM.jpg

Photo_on_1-6-13_at_12_02_AM.jpg

In the box
Photo_on_1-6-13_at_12_02_AM_2.jpg

Photo_on_1-6-13_at_12_03_AM.jpg

The girls aint much to look at right now, but I tell ya. That CO2 is helping! They're putting leaves on pretty quick after the defoliation. And I did NOT go easy on them. :) Think I might drop a can of seltzer water in the fog bucket for lil' extra help after seeing this!:surf: Hoping for some of that "hybrid growth" from the seedling as those leaves don't look very sativa to me. :):morenutes::slide:

Weirdly, my laptop mirrored the images!:hmmmm: Guess I just never noticed that before. It's like Korloin's own Bizzaro World! lol!!

Nighty night folks!

K

I'm really glad to see you back and active K'ster :)! Haven't really went through anything yet but I'm about to. I'm planning a switch to hydro as well, this should be very interesting :)!

Thanks for joining in iSmokes!:high-five:
I'm feeling real good over here and happy to be back among my fav peeps!

Hydros where your background is REALLY gonna help you out i think. :geek:
It's one great big controlled experiment! You can get all kinds of sciencey if you like!
One BIG difference to keep in mind (ALWAYS) is that there is no Ph buffer like in soil. So you gotta stay on top of that first and foremost I've found.

You're gonna kick some serious ass with this. I already know.
Can't wait for the next journal!

Later

K

Looking sweet K :)

I wonder if anybody had actually measured CO2 ppm's before and after the fermentation setup. I always assumed the increase in CO2 would be too low to make an actual difference. Wouldn't hurt to have it though, I'll probably add a couple of bottles during bloom :)

Thanks Smokes!
The CO2 seems to be working out WAY better than I anticipated. It's really the only thing, environmentally, I changed before today. I'm still gonna grab one of those mushroom bag things though. You know I love the DIY and all, but those bottles are taking up too much space for me. That's the only downside on my end. But I don't have much room to spare either. :rofl::rofl: I'd try to keep them out of the box, but I guarantee I'd find a very yeasty flavored bloodhound in no time!lol! She's already funky enough. Ha!

K

:ciao:

Fluffy will be watching! So glad to see you back out and about again.

Hydro, yuck. I did 2 x 2L hempie experiments and bloody hate it. Soil all the way for me. Besides, I love getting my paws dirty...and then forgetting its on my paws and it ends up everywhere else. Awesome :)

:hug:

:ciao:

Fluffy will be watching! So glad to see you back out and about again.

Hydro, yuck. I did 2 x 2L hempie experiments and bloody hate it. Soil all the way for me. Besides, I love getting my paws dirty...and then forgetting its on my paws and it ends up everywhere else. Awesome :)

:hug:

FLUFFY BABY SWEETIE!!:hug: Fluffy hugs right back!
:circle-of-love:

SOO nice to hear from you! And yes! It's good to be out and about again. Thank you.

There were quite a few moments when I was ready to go back in the dirt.:rofl:
But I barreled through and am getting the hang of it now. If it weren't the middle of winter I'd probably of had fewer issues, but who would I be without my issues right!?!

Smooches!
:kisstwo:
Hoping your little wing isn't giving you too much trouble.

K

Wishing you a productive 2013! Not just buds of course.:hookah:

Hydro is where you get to play God, can be an onerous responsibility or awesome control of the Garden of Eden!!

1kg of sugar will produce 125l of CO2 when fully fermented out, masses extra in a small space, I think!

Thanks AJ!! :high-five:
And welcome aboard! Thats quite a bit of CO2! I've used @ 2cups so far.

Hydro is where you get to play God, can be an onerous responsibility or awesome control of the Garden of Eden!!

:) Indeed!! I have found it a bit easier to diagnose and resolve nutrient issues than in my soil grow, I must say. It's gonna always be Ph or temps at the <ahem> root of the issue. Trying to correct and imbalance any other way just exacerbates the issue it seems. Also you don't really have to wait x many days to see if it worked. It's pretty apparent right away. :) Still trying to get a handle on the ppm v. Ph relationship. I understand the principal, it's just I have no real guide for where the levels should be once my supplements are added to the main grow/ micro/ bloom formula. I've just been seeing what they are when I change the buckets out and then trying to correlate the drop with the ph rise. But really I'm just treating the ph issue when needed. It'll all click eventually I know, and then I'm sure I'll be able to rely less on suggested dosages and more on plant needs in the context of the grow. I love the learnin', I do!:rofl: But sometimes the understanding takes longer than I'd like.

1kg of sugar will produce 125l of CO2 when fully fermented out, masses extra in a small space, I think!

If I could figure out how to maintain 1000ppm levels in the box (on the cheap, that is), this'd be a totally different grow!

Man! I'm not even high and am having a hard time trying to do this math! Jeez Louise!!

Ok, breaking it down:

1kg=1000g
125l /1000g = .125l / g = @125 ppm?
2cups = @ 448g
448g x .125l = @56000ppm?

Ok, so now I need a dispersal rate. Any ideas/ corrections?

Ah math. How I both love and hate thee.:wood:

I think the math depends on whether the ppm's are by mass or by volume (?). I never really looked into CO2 systems because they're expensive.. If the DIY works then I'll most definitely add some :). I'm thinking because the sensors are working with gases then it would be part/million relative to volume rather than mass. Just a guess tho :blushsmile:

Man! I'm not even high and am having a hard time trying to do this math! Jeez Louise!!

Ok, breaking it down:

1kg=1000g
125l /1000g = .125l / g = @125 ppm?
2cups = @ 448g
448g x .125l = @56000ppm?

Ok, so now I need a dispersal rate. Any ideas/ corrections?

Ah math. How I both love and hate thee.:wood:

By the way K, is your exhaust always on? isn't that counter-intuitive with introducing CO2?
These are the points that make me skeptical about CO2.. whether ppm's are high enough, exhaust is always on, cost of kit..
I was just laughing at your comment on strains on spring's journal :rofl: I feel like a kid in a toy store when I'm picking seeds. I eventually pick a few "preferred" strains but deep down I WANT THEM ALLLL :rofl:
Best of luck buddy, I hope everything works out great :thumb:

By the way K, is your exhaust always on? isn't that counter-intuitive with introducing CO2?
These are the points that make me skeptical about CO2.. whether ppm's are high enough, exhaust is always on, cost of kit..

Right now I have it on the same timer as the HID as everything is in veg and not very stinky just yet. I've got the co2 hose sitting just under the line where my exhaust would draw from and my circulating fan blows, but just over the tops of my plants. I'm sure I'm losing some, which is why it would be great to get an idea of how much co2 I'm throwing in/ air exchange. But I'm not sure how I could even ballpark that figure. Too many unknown variables (pressure in the jug, impedance, temp/ humidity fluctuations, etc) If your exchange isn't too crazy high and you keep the co2 line close to the plants, I'm sure some benefits are gonna be had. Maybe not the 1000ppm magic- increase the photosynthetic rate by 1/2! But I'll be happy with a 1/8, 1/4, 1/3 increase! Whatever it winds up being, if it could translate to that much more plant to flower!:thumb:

I was just laughing at your comment on strains on spring's journal :rofl: I feel like a kid in a toy store when I'm picking seeds. I eventually pick a few "preferred" strains but deep down I WANT THEM ALLLL :rofl:

:)

Totally! I gotta keep myself from perusing for a while. I'm the same way! Aside from the ones I grew, I've still got seeds from like 7-8 different strains in stock right now. :rofl::tokin::rofl::hookah::lot-o-toke:

Thanks Smokes!

Talk soon!

K

I think the math depends on whether the ppm's are by mass or by volume (?). I never really looked into CO2 systems because they're expensive.. If the DIY works then I'll most definitely add some :). I'm thinking because the sensors are working with gases then it would be part/million relative to volume rather than mass. Just a guess tho :blushsmile:

Definitely volume.

But I could see how it looks like I fucked up. As I was using AJ's numbers to try and figure out the mass of sugar it would take to create x volume of co2 gas.

:geek::biglaugh:

I know nothing of ppm CO2 etc, the figure of 125l produced from 1kg sugar is from a wino website, 1kg fermented in 1 gallon of juice (or wort) produces 6 bottles of 14% abv wine. Fermentation is largely over after 28 days so 4l of CO2 a day-ish, if it is blown across the leaves I suggest that it’s a fair increase on not having it, too expensive for me to measure!

Is day 21 the ideal time to take flowering clones?
:hookah:

if it is blown across the leaves I suggest that it's a fair increase on not having it

Exactly! And to use an old aphorism to illustrate -"The proof is in the pudding!"

Is day 21 the ideal time to take flowering clones?

I think in terms of doing a perpetual grow, yes! You do want to wait for it to finish stretch I believe though. Can't quite recall why.
Aside from really fast rooting, the benefit I enjoy from taking the clones this late is that they tend to be more branchy, hence MORE POTENTIAL BUDSITES!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::lot-o-toke:

Here's the thread I was inspired from.

:peace:

K

Ton of good info there K, Shoot me the Co2 recipe would love to add it to my girls, and BTW figured out why they are doing what they are doing.Haven't watered since they were transplanted, have been keeping an eye on everything I thought, temp was good, Rh good but had to open the tent to get it up into the 40's or very low 50's. With the slight yellowing on the leaves figured I would pull them and give them a little grow nutes to bring the Nitrogen back up, my soil is very good but also very low in nitrogen from what I have been reading. When I went to water what did I find F/gnats coming out so they got a does or two of SNS 203 and Azomax. I have been looking hard at these plants and never seen these little bastards but they are there and where I live in cattle country I guess I will have to think they always will so I will take a step in the right direction and use a systemic SNS product just for these ASSHOLE"S . Peace OG and all the new seeds popped , Not sure why KC Brain's is getting such a bad rap on the net but all of his stuff has popped for me only time will tell from here.

Back
Top Bottom