Question about molases and peroxide

VxXxV

I tried searching on the subject and couldn't find any definitive answers so I'll try this way.

I have read that you shouldn't use molasses with hydrogen peroxide because that combination will kill good and bad bacteria in the soil. From day 1 I have added a capful of hydrogen peroxide to every watering whether it be nutes or just a regular watering.

My question is this.
If I stopped the peroxide treatment and started adding molasses instead, would the results be the same or should I just wait until next grow to use the molasses?

Re: Question about molases and peroxide.

Molasses is for carbohydrates so you can use that threw your whole feed. No need to stop. And I use peroxide also, but i only use 5 drops per gallon. No need to over do it. Theres really no need to hydrogen peroxide if your growing in soil. Most only use it in hydro systems. But you can also purchase H&G Drip Clean instead of using peroxide.

Re: Question about molases and peroxide.

Thanks for the reply, good to know.
This is my first grow(first one that produced any females anyway) so I'm still picking up tidbits along the way. I did a lot of reading over the last year and a half beforehand though. Next grow I'll start a journal.

I thought peroxide kills good and bad bacteria anyway.
I thought this for years.
Every day u learn something new.🤘🤟✌️
H202 and Chlorinated water will both kill bacteria in the soil, BUT, it doesn't kill anywhere near all of them, and because the growth rate of bacteria (and fungi) is so fast, 24 hours after watering the bacteria numbers are back where they were before watering. Agree that if your plants don't have root/soil issues the H2O2 is probably unnecessary. The molasses works to some extent, I use it mostly during the flowering cycle, but that's a personal choice.

I use a big drench of pure peroxide in the beginning to prevent fungus gnats. It works well for that and it kills a lot of good and bad microbes. I use about a gallon of peroxide per 5gallon pot and recycle it a few times. Let it soak overnight then rinse it out.

H202 and Chlorinated water will both kill bacteria in the soil, BUT, it doesn't kill anywhere near all of them, and because the growth rate of bacteria (and fungi) is so fast, 24 hours after watering the bacteria numbers are back where they were before watering. Agree that if your plants don't have root/soil issues the H2O2 is probably unnecessary. The molasses works to some extent, I use it mostly during the flowering cycle, but that's a personal choice.
H2O2 is also a good temporary source of extra oxygen to put down at the root level... it might kill a few microbes, but the benefits of a capful now and then are going to override any harm it might do. Also, consider that the half life of H2O2 is very short, and just like when I add it to my saltwater tank, it rapidly decomposes into water and oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom