Hydrogen peroxide

AgedMaster

Can i add hydrogen peroxide 3% to boiling water from kettle to soak hydroton and can i add ph down to boiled water from kettle or should i use warm water from shower or cold water thanks

Peroxide degrades faster at higher temperature. Boiling would render it inert quickly.

Mix peroxide with distilled water at room temperature.

Ph down should be fine, but I'd add it to room temperature water like a normal person just to be safe.

Peroxide degrades faster at higher temperature. Boiling would render it inert quickly.

Mix peroxide with distilled water at room temperature.

Ph down should be fine, but I'd add it to room temperature water like a normal person just to be safe.

Peat you’ve got this real elegant way of backhanding people with knowledge, it makes me chuckle.

OP is there a reason you’re wanting to use boiling water?

Speculation of possible reasons for water boil:

1. Boil off chlorine and chloramine. Not necessary. Neither will harm a grow. And chloramine doesn't even boil off. So yeah.

2. Sanitize or sterilize the water. I guess this could be useful for water collected from nature. Because the last thing we want to do is feed brain eating amoebas to our plants! Or mold, or fungi or virus, etc.

3. Could be something else. If so, I want to know more.

Speculation of possible reasons for water boil:

1. Boil off chlorine and chloramine. Not necessary. Neither will harm a grow. And chloramine doesn't even boil off. So yeah.

2. Sanitize or sterilize the water. I guess this could be useful for water collected from nature. Because the last thing we want to do is feed brain eating amoebas to our plants! Or mold, or fungi or virus, etc.

3. Could be something else. If so, I want to know more.

Number 2 was my first thought.. Using peroxide immediately makes me think pests, or negative to the grow fungi/bacteria.. wanting to use boiling water reinforces my assumption. I’ve heard of others using peroxide for root rot (anecdotally, I’ve not seen it personally), but even then not with boiling water.

Either way it’s not advisable OP, especially if you have a plant growing, which I again assume you do with the PH concern.

These are all assumptions though until you answer us OP lol.

Did you know that there is more than 10 times the air molecules in water temps between 69-71degrees and warmer temps can lead to pathogens. CL🍀

Yes, I did know that, friend. But did you know that yeast thrives between 69-71F and it can remove ALL the oxygen from the water in less than an hour? They are hungry little buggers!

That's why us science minded folks use a carefully calculated dose of Hydrogen Peroxide to:

1. kill all microbes in the water

2. provide pure dissolved oxygen in solution

Yes, I did know that, friend. But did you know that yeast thrives between 69-71F and it can remove ALL the oxygen from the water in less than an hour? They are hungry little buggers!

That's why us science minded folks use a carefully calculated dose of Hydrogen Peroxide to:

1. kill all microbes in the water

2. provide pure dissolved oxygen in solution
I did not know that how much peroxide do you recommend? CL🍀

That is a complicated answer that depends on the water source. Dirty pond water is a lot different than average tap water. Average tap water doesn't have enough microbes to deplete oxygen.
Thanks double P I take watering very seriously seeing as more plants have been killed due to improperly watered then anything else. CL🍀

Human drinking water can be 50ppm peroxide. Some people suggest as much as 100ppm for plants if you want hyper saturated O2.

Tap water already has 6-8ppm O2 and that is all plants need. So if you want to add a little extra O2 to tap water, any peroxide you add is bonus O2. Start small with 4oz of 3% per 5 gallons of water.

I don't think it's necessary.

ok so i was wondering because 96% peroxide is safe up to 150c boiling water is 100c i looked only quickly as i was busy saved me looking for 3% now. I was going to add boiling water to hydroton as i used it before then peroxide but i will use room temperature water ive already washed with shower head on full temperature for 10 mins my shower water boils at full temp no mold or pests plants have not even started yet im re using my coco thought i had enough but i did not as i only took soil from centre of pots so i need hydroton im going to try 50/50 coco and hydroton

if you're cleaning new stuff off to use you can just wash it good with regular tap water. the shower head will work fine for new stuff. i use a power washer and a bucket with a mesh bottom when i'm lazy.

if you are sterilizing it after a grow for reuse you can soak it in an h202 bath. i go higher strength, 30% at 1ml/L. you can use the 3%, i can't remember what the dilution is. stuff should literally bubble. be careful and wear gloves.

i bake the hydroton after the bath in an oven at 350f for an hour. you can skip the bath and just do a cleaning and bake if you prefer. i've done it both ways.

if you're cleaning new stuff off to use you can just wash it good with regular tap water. the shower head will work fine for new stuff. i use a power washer and a bucket with a mesh bottom when i'm lazy.

if you are sterilizing it after a grow for reuse you can soak it in an h202 bath. i go higher strength, 30% at 1ml/L. you can use the 3%, i can't remember what the dilution is. stuff should literally bubble. be careful and wear gloves.

i bake the hydroton after the bath in an oven at 350f for an hour. you can skip the bath and just do a cleaning and bake if you prefer. i've done it both ways.
Thanks i would not of baked and now i no not to shower re used stuff

Thanks i would not of baked and now i no not to shower re used stuff

you can shower off the reused too. won't hurt nothing. i'd usually do an h202 bath / soak, a rinse, and then a bake when reusing.

Back
Top Bottom