Questions about vegging big plants over a long period of time

TheFertilizer

I had an idea of veg'ing out some big plants for a long period of time, because I haven't done it before, and it would work well with my environmental conditions. Normally during the late summer months, I either live in an oven or shut down my grow. I'm thinking that instead I will use a low wattage light like a T5 and veg out some plants over the course of Spring/Summer and then flip them into flower come Fall.

I'm not really sure what to expect doing vegetative growth for that long. For example, how often am I going to need to up-pot, and what final pot size will I likely end up in. I don't think that with this cut, having low lighting is going to slow the roots down that much. I veg'd a cut of it under ridiculously low lighting (like 18 watts), thinking it would just hold itself in "stasis" but it just kept getting root-bound about every 6 weeks first in its 1gal starter and then in the 3gal it was in when I finally culled it.

I'm guessing that with more light will be even more accelerated root growth. I'll need to veg these for twice as long as the previous one under low-lighting, so I think I could reasonably expect the roots to outgrow a 6 gallon pot by the end of this. Probably even more since I'm jumping the wattage up a whole 180 watts. I am thinking 7 or 10 gallon pots by the end of it? I need to be able to fit them in a 4x4 tent though is the thing.

When a plant DOES get root bound is there any other remedy besides up-potting? I've heard something about people cutting the bottom few inches of roots off and then lining the bottom of the pot with fresh soil for it to root into, but that seems very aggressive. Others have mentioned it's more a matter of pruning the top growth to keep the lower growth from getting out of control in the first place?

Anyway I don't even know what else to ask about. I've typically used several smaller pots, 5 gallons or less, and short veg times, like 2 months or less, so this is a much different arena than I'm used to.

Hey fert! I been researching bonsai growing (actual trees) and I've seen plants that are 400 years old in small containers, the bonsai growers are constantly pruning roots. Not sure how it's work with our lovely plant but it is a practice in some horticulture applications.
Hey Marz! Dang that's impressive! I guess it's one area to look to for inspiration. I'm betting some of the techniques could be adapted.

I'm sure there must be root pruning techniques cannabis growers use, I think they've probably just fallen out of popularity since more people just up-pot and take new clones for new mothers and such now. I think I remember hearing that vertically scoring the sides of the pot will help create new root tips too, but I'm not sure if I actually read that somewhere or if I'm making it up as I go along...

Dang that's impresssive!

Yeah I have heard about people making vertical scores along the sides of the pots too, but I'm not exactly sure what that actually does. I believe that it creates new root tips so that they branch off at the points the vertical cuts were made, rather than continuing to spiral around the bottom of the pot, but that's only an educated guess.
It's called air pruning mate. If enough roots are hitting the air the plant thinks it's still got room so doesn't start acting root bound. Theres more to it but in a nutshell. That s why a lot of us use fabric pots. Gotta water them constantly which is a pain but it's worth it. Can also just dump the whole pot into the next one so no transplant damage and the roots will grow through the entire thing.

I wonder how a 7 gallon air-pot would work, supposed to air prune roots
Yeah I was thinking about that as well. Thinking perhaps I could even start them out in 7 gallon fabric pots and not have to worry about the transplanting or root-bind.

I figure I will have to do more pruning/trimming of leaves than I'm used to. I don't expect a T5 to get them monstrous, but it will get them fairly large from my experience with this cut so far. I think at some point they're going to outgrow the light and I'll have to cut foliage off to keep them of a size that the T5 can sustain, and that worries me because I'm a big of an overzealous pruner.

It's called air pruning mate. If enough roots are hitting the air the plant thinks it's still got room so doesn't start acting root bound. Theres more to it but in a nutshell. That s why a lot of us use fabric pots. Gotta water them constantly which is a pain but it's worth it. Can also just dump the whole pot into the next one so no transplant damage and the roots will grow through the entire thing.
Oh so the vertical scoring accomplishes basically the same thing as fabric pots? Or did I misunderstand that?

Oh so the vertical scoring accomplishes basically the same thing as fabric pots? Or did I misunderstand that?
Yeah mate, bingo. You'll see lots of guys doing it when they start in wee solo cups. Slash up the sides and just plant the cup too. Can stunt them taking it off if you're not careful so it's just a safer method. Especially useful when doing autos.

Yeah mate, bingo. You'll see lots of guys doing it when they start in wee solo cups. Slash up the sides and just plant the cup too. Can stunt them taking it off if you're not careful so it's just a safer method. Especially useful when doing autos.
Oh hmm I've mostly seen people do what I'mt talking about against the bare root-ball, still the same thing? I think I've seen it done in Doc Bud's kit, and you're supposed to add some kind of powder to them for his regimen, but I don't think it's the same thing. In any case, the slashing method seems similar.

Oh hmm I've mostly seen people do what I'mt talking about against the bare root-ball, still the same thing? I think I've seen it done in Doc Bud's kit, and you're supposed to add some kind of powder to them for his regimen, but I don't think it's the same thing. In any case, the slashing method seems similar.
Yeah you've lost me there too mate lol. Figured you meant cutting vertical slots out the sides of the pots to let the roots grow out of them?!

Yeah you've lost me there too mate lol. Figured you meant cutting vertical slots out the sides of the pots to let the roots grow out of them?!
Yeah, I thought we may have been talking about two different things then. What I've seen was definitely taking place outside of the roots and between transplants, but I can't find the thread anymore :/

Back
Top Bottom