Too many things at once.

I have done a few different grow journals over the years here at 420 Magazine and I seem to keep coming back so, I figured that I may as well start a perpetual grow journal. I hope that some of the things that I have learned over the years will help someone else when they see this journal. And speaking of help, That is one of the things that there is never a shortage of on this site. There are plenty of people who will keep a watchful eye on a new growers journal and offer advice to get one out of trouble, or prevent it from occurring in the first place. And it is for this reason that I feel bold enough to jump right into my first, err three projects that hopefully won't end in disaster.

So first off, I received a free pack of 5 regular seeds from DC Seed Exchange with a recent order that I placed.
8.JPG

The problem is, I have never grown a regular cannabis seed in my life and I have no idea what I'm doing so hopefully someone will chime in and let me know what to look for. Since I have limited space, I plan on spending these seeds as scratch off tickets, and germinate them one at a time. So I prepared a Jiffy puck and placed a seed inside, then placed on a heating mat in my small tent.

6.JPG
7.JPG

Scratch that.

GGL00008.JPG

After thinking about how this thing will go, Me growing the plant up in a pot, topping, amending the soil, and then eventually flipping to flower, only to find out that it is a male would be such a waste of soil and resources, so I am going to do this in hydro instead. So removed said seed and placed in rock wool instead.

So while we have that project going, I have also decided to do my very first outdoor grow. To keep it simple for my first time, I will be growing a Auto flower. This Auto flower to be exact:

GGL00007.JPG

Also from @DC Seed Exchange.

I will be growing it in this very large pot that I acquired from Costco and is filled with compost, soil, A mineral mix from build a soil, and some 4/4/4 fertilizer. I have left it to marinate in the pot for a few weeks before planting.

GGL00006.JPG

And finally, I have been growing one of these cool Liberty Haze from @Barney's Farm. She is just shy of 5 weeks into flower. I decided to keep her pretty small because of all of the other things I have going. I try to put her outside on as many nice days as possible, so she can sunbathe.

GGL00002.JPG
GGL00004.JPG
GGL00005.JPG

I'm notorious for over watering my plants in soil, Just ask @InTheShed, so I was elated when I found these on Amazon.

GGL00010.JPG

The Sustee water indicator.

They are pretty simple to use. Just insert in the soil close to the root ball, water the plant and the indicator will turn blue. Then water once it turns white again. I have been doing this and she looks pretty beautiful so far.

So here we go I guess. Starting my perpetual off with a bang.

Found it courtesy of @StoneOtter:
A bunch of us have been using a method The Rev, of True Living Organics, mentioned he gets sexing results in 30 days. I've run it twice and it worked for me! I've watched a few others have success also.

At seed planting give them 12/12 light for the first 10 days of their life out of the ground. Then 18/6 or whatever floats your boat. Within 30 days you'll see sex appear. I can say I think strong light gives us an advantage and gives faster results vs weaker light.

This is a much faster method of sexing plants than waiting for them to show on their own.

Found it courtesy of @StoneOtter:

This is a much faster method of sexing plants than waiting for them to show on their own.
Wait What!? What is this magical plant voodoo that you speak of? I have to read this! So you can find out the sex of the plant and then veg it out after?

Wait What!? What is this magical plant voodoo that you speak of? I have to read this! So you can find out the sex of the plant and then veg it out after?
You can indeed, at least that's what a number of the reg gurus are now doing. If Otter doesn't show up here jump in his thread with questions:

You can indeed, at least that's what a number of the reg gurus are now doing. If Otter doesn't show up here jump in his thread with questions:
Thanks Shed. I read through one of his books online, but didn't see the part about sexing. So for now I'm going to switch the lights to 12/12.

Strain: Liberty Haze (Feminized) from @Barney's Farm
Genetic Makeup: Hybrid Sativa
Pot/Bucket Size: 5 Gallon
Tent Size: 2' x 4' / Outdoors: 1/4 Acre
Grow Space: 8 sq ft
How Many Plants: 1
Environment: Indoor/Outdoor
Stage: Flowering
Medium: Soil
Lights: Samsung 300 Watt LED/Natural Sunlight
Average PAR: 1591 (HIGH) μmols/M²/sec @ 12/12 (OUTSIDE)
DLI: 69 (HIGH)
Nutrients: 4/4/4
EC: N/A
Room/Tent Temperature: 81° Outdoor/Temp 82°
Relative Humidity Tent: 55% Outdoors: 34%
Media/Res PH: 7
Pests: None

Watering: Once Weekly

It's another nice day today so she will be spending the day outdoors.
This is week 5 of flower.

GGL00004.JPG
GGL00005.JPG
GGL00006.JPG
GGL00007.JPG
GGL00008.JPG

Nothing yet on the Appalachia F5

GGL00009.JPG

And finally,
I added some blood and bone meal as well as some grass clippings to the future home of
Serial Crusher F4

GGL00001.JPG
GGL00002.JPG
GGL00003.JPG

This grow has a lot of firsts for me. First time messing with regular seeds, First time growing outside, and first time perpetual. As far as growing outside, I have never been able to do that until now because I live in a former red state. But thanks to a voters initiative, we are now green, and I can cultivate up to 12 plants without looking over my shoulder anymore. I have to say that it feels pretty great.

I was reading up on the outdoor growing subject and it is recommended to start outside cannabis around the second week of June so that's what I'm aiming for. This will give me plenty of time to let this soil "cook" before then.

Nice to get all of your ducks in order before you head outside! Are you going to be starting your seeds inside and then moving them outside once the nights are warmer?

I would do that if it were a regular photo period, but with it being an Auto Flower, I will prob just start it in a jiffy puck maybe a week before planting it in the pot. Probably like the last week of May/1st week of June. I need to pick up a bag of earth worm castings and a few other things to add to the pot before then.

Nutrients: 4/4/4

Okay so I'm going to try and organize this journal somewhat for when and if I have to come back to find things later. So Liberty Haze is going to be red. I don't have any reason for picking red. lol

Wed April 17, 2024

Today it is overcast and raining so I decided to keep the Haze in the tent.
Today I noticed Liberty Haze doing what it does in flower and showing signs of Calcium Def and who knows what else.
Even in spite of generous top dressings and drenchings with Recharge, I always have this problem with this strain in flower. It has been especially exacerbated with spending time outside.
Also, I have a suspicion that recharge doesn't even work at all because I have not noticed any difference
when using it as opposed to making real compost tea which I can see an almost immediate difference the next day.
At any rate, I can either start using synthetic nutrients to take over, or purchase some liquid organic fertilizer. I'm choosing organic. So I dosed her with some Cal/Mag which isn't organic. lol
I'm going to head to the nursery today and see what I can find for fertilizer.

GGL00029.JPG
GGL00030.JPG
GGL00031.JPG
GGL00032.JPG
GGL00033.JPG
GGL00034.JPG
GGL00035.JPG
GGL00036.JPG
GGL00037.JPG
GGL00038.JPG

You can always make an organic calcium supplement from eggshells if that helps:

And as for the Appalachia F5, It has sprouted so I need to get some nomenclature going.
Strain: Appalachia (F5) (Feminized Hybrid) from @Copa Genetics
Genetic Makeup: Hybrid Indica Dominant
Pot/Bucket Size: 3.5 Gal
Tent Size: 2' x 4'
Environment: Indoor
Stage: Seedling
Medium: Hydro
Lights: VIPARSPECTRA P1000
Average PAR: 200 (NORMAL) μmols/M²/sec @ 18/6
DLI: NOT MEASURED
Nutrients: VEG+BLOOM
EC: 1.3
Room/Tent Temperature: 81°
Relative Humidity Tent: 55%
Media/Res PH: 6.2

Watering: N/A

I gathered up some info on this strain:

Appalachia

Hybrid THC 21% CBG 1%

Appalachia is a hybrid cross between Green Crack and Tres Dawg
A layer of white, cloudy trichomes gives the buds a sage green color with darker leaves and fiery hairs peeking out from underneath. With an aroma of earthy pine and subtle fruit, Appalachia delivers a dreamy and yet functional cerebral buzz paired with relaxing full-body effects. Sensory perception and appetite are sharpened while pain and other symptoms dull, making Appalachia a coveted strain among medical patients and recreational consumers alike.

STRAIN HIGHLIGHTS
Feelings: Talkative .Energetic .Happy
Negatives:Dry eyes.Dry mouth
Helps with: Stress. Pain. Anxiety

The most abundant terpene in Appalachia is caryophyllene, followed by limonene and humulene.
Dominant terpene
Caryophyllene (pepper) Spicy, peppery terpene that may have anti-inflammatory benefits.

Other terpenes Limonene (citrus) Humulene (hoppy)

Alright so with that out of the way, I prepared a nutrient solution and installed it in a hydro bucket and turned the lights up full blast.

GGL00012.JPG
GGL00014.JPG
GGL00016.JPG
GGL00018.JPG
GGL00020.JPG
GGL00021.JPG
GGL00023.JPG
GGL00024.JPG
GGL00027.JPG
GGL00028.JPG
Today is day one of 12/12. I will continue until April 27 which is Saturday after next.

You can always make an organic calcium supplement from eggshells if that helps:
I have a recipe using oyster shells that I have used in the past but found it to cumbersome and time consuming so now I just use cal/mag. But thank you for the tip Shed.

The plant grew about 2 inches, filled in with hydroton around stem.

GGL00007.JPG
GGL00008.JPG

Nutrients: 4/4/4+ Espoma Organic Bloom

I found this organic liquid fertilizer from Espoma.
GGL00006.JPG

Not sure what I was expecting, but it smells like dead fish, horse mature, and rotten chicken all at once. Thankfully, it doesn't smell like this once watered in.

The directions say to use one half cap to one quart of water. I'm using 1 full cap per gallon, with one capful of Cal/Mag per watering.

GGL00002.JPG
GGL00003.JPG
GGL00005.JPG
GGL00009.JPG
GGL00010.JPG
GGL00009.JPG
GGL00010.JPG
GGL00011.JPG
GGL00012.JPG

Liberty Haze flowers for 10 weeks or more so it would not be wise to lose too many leaves this early on.

Today is the last day of 12/12 for this one. It's looking nice and healthy. Hopefully it is a female.

GGL00019.JPG
GGL00020.JPG

Starting tomorrow this will be on 18/6.

Nutrients: 4/4/4+ Espoma Organic Bloom

GGL00012.JPG
GGL00013.JPG
GGL00014.JPG
GGL00015.JPG
GGL00016.JPG
GGL00017.JPG

I think the fertilizer and calcium may have slowed the deficiency down. The buds are getting fatter and it smells lemony. I haven't been able to put it outside much this last week because it has been too cold.

Back
Top Bottom