Root Aphids Or Worse & Maybe Something Else: Help!

NorthernCosmos

I think my plants may have root aphids, or something like it. I observed a few critters on top of the soil around the stem some time ago, but didn't think much of it due to lack of knowledge. Lately, when watering around the stem, a few of them surfaces - little green'ish bugs. There aren't many too see, I've spotted maybe 4 or 5 at the same time. I've also spotted one or two winged ones, both on the soil surface, and on the tent wall. The winged creatures are neither gnats nor banana flies, so could they be winged aphids? There is another creature there too; picture below.

One of many diagnostics that match is this one:

"The symptoms of root aphids have infested your cannabis plants can be, the plants will start to have yellowing leaves and appear to have stunted growth. It can resemble a magnesium deficiency. Another sign is you may notice them crawling around the top of the soil or on some of the bottom leaves."

My plants are very small, and I've had many drying yellow leaves with brown spots on the lower part of the plant that I've been picking off, and many of the lower leaves have a yellow tint. I'm using store bought peat based soil mixed with compost from my garden. The compost is lively, with earth worms and a few larger beetles. I thrown out the beetles as I sift through the compost to inspect for just such things. I suppose there could have been aphid eggs, too small to see, that hatched after some time in the warm and cozy tent... Ref. my grow journal in my signature.

I wanted to be fairly sure what this is before posting, and today I managed to capture one of them, hence finally posting.

Is diatomaceous earth a good remedy? It's one of the few things I can get hold of quickly around here (10µm particle size). How do I best apply it?

I'm scared now... Please help!

Here is the suspect, captured on the soil around the stem and killed. It's body is ca. 1mm long :

Root_Aphid.JPG

I also captured this one on the surface around the stem, body length 2-3 mm. What might it be:

Unknown_Insect.JPG

Don't know much about those bugs but I would clearly say its from the compost... that's the downside bringing that in room temp.

Do they eat just the roots or the hole plant?

Hope you can get help with them from someone who has had them as well....

Do they eat just the roots or the hole plant?
I see nothing on the stem or the leaves so far. From what I've read, they stay under the soil, feeding on the roots. From my observations they seem to dwell around the stem, quickly surfacing when I saturate the soil around it with water, and as soon as the water sinks into the soil, they too disappear into the soil.

I'm completely freaked out here, even scared of continuing to use the compost :nervous-guy: This might explain a few things about these plants. On the bright side, it can only get better from here, now that I'm aware of this.

Thank you @Hydroholic!

Do you reckon diatomaceous earth is the way to go? I'd rather not use chemicals, seeing as I hope to save this crop for consumption. It's also likely that the rest of the compost may contain eggs, so I'd like to get a handle on it early for my new plants and prevent the buggers from multiplying.
Extract from Rosemary,lemon grass,neem oil. Lady bugs if possible love them. I treat my soil with Diatomaceous Earth at any site of bugs. Also 1 part h202 and 3 parts water will kill them.

I see nothing on the stem or the leaves so far. From what I've read, they stay under the soil, feeding on the roots. From my observations they seem to dwell around the stem, quickly surfacing when I saturate the soil around it with water, and as soon as the water sinks into the soil, they too disappear into the soil.

I'm completely freaked out here, even scared of continuing to use the compost :nervous-guy: This might explain a few things about these plants. On the bright side, it can only get better from here, now that I'm aware of this.
I would treat and also clean my room good. They are nasty.

I'm off to the pharamacy to see if they have H2O2. I've already ordered a 200g bottle of 10µm DA - should be here in a couple of days.

Should the dry DA be sprinkled on top of the soil, perhaps stirred in a bit, or should it be mixed with water to penetrate it to some depth?
I just put on top of soil and let it sit until I water then water it in. It’s more of a wall than anything.

Extract from Rosemary,lemon grass,neem oil. Lady bugs if possible love them. I treat my soil with Diatomaceous Earth at any site of bugs. Also 1 part h202 and 3 parts water will kill them.

It will take two or more weeks to clear them out. You need to break the life cycle, and continue treatment until all the eggs have matured into adults, and they too are all dead. Don't stop just because you don't see them anymore. Keep going for another two weeks after you have seen the last one.

Covering the soil with a layer of sand or perlite helps prevent a re infestation. They like damp soil, and are adverse to dry conditions. Do this only after your treatment is complete.

I just put on top of soil and let it sit until I water then water it in. It’s more of a wall than anything.
Not sure what is meant by "wall" in this context. Not a physical barrier to the roots (would take a lot of the stuff?), or...? From my quick reading up on this, it's my understanding that the DE also damages the exoskeletons of the bugs so that they dehydrate and die.

Not sure what is meant by "wall" in this context. Not a physical barrier to the roots (would take a lot of the stuff?), or...? From my quick reading up on this, it's my understanding that the DE also damages the exoskeletons of the bugs so that they dehydrate and die.
[/
That’s what it does to any exoskeleton bug. As far as use. If I need it I prefer using 10$ of it then loosing thousands in the harvest. Neem oil is another to keep on your shelf for bugs. I don’t preventively use like some growers but will use on any sign.

To keep some alternatives open, is this a useable Castile soap? How would it be applied - mixed with water?

I can also get my hands on Neem oil. I see recommendations for mixing it with water and liquid household soaps like Pine-sol. Are our plants OK with soaps like that?

AFAIK, none of the things mentioned in this thread are dangerous to humans and pets, and leaves the crop fully usable, right?

I'm not sure about the Pine-sol, but the rest are safe to use. I'd be using a dish soap, rather than a stronger soap. The soap is used as a surficant, to help spread the Neem oil, and keep it on the plant, rather than sliding off.

Zalo is the standard dish soap around here since the beginning of time, so I'd go with that then. In this case I'd most likely need to water the soil a little with these things, since it seems like these root aphids stay strictly underground, although a little foliar spraying on the lower leaves might be a good idea too just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom