Root rot: root oxygen starvation or some nutrient deficiency?

spanish grow

hi folks

i have a problem with my ladies this year. i am thinking it is root rot or root oxygen starvation. or is it a nutritional deficiency?¿?¿ can any body give me a heads up what is wrong with them?¿??¿ the plants are already flowering, in soil, in pots, well draining soil, ph good. the leaves are turning yellow / white in a day or 2 & falling off at an alarming rate.

thxs in advance

spanish grow

SL371229.JPG
SL371226.JPG
SL371219.JPG
SL371212.JPG
SL371211.JPG
SL371202.JPG
SL371195.JPG
SL371198.JPG

looks to me like they are hungry for N.. even though growers tend to focus on P and K during the flowering stage some plants will still be hungry for N.. i found this with my big bud flavs.. if i didnt bolster their feeding schedule with N alot of the foliage would turn yellow and drop off.

what is your feeding schedule and what are you feeding?? have you already added N? if you have good drainage you probably have reasonable oxygenation of the soil( i use a small percentage of perlite and clay to my soil mix to aid in this)

root rot would probably be primarily due to excessive water in the soil.. for long periods of time... this is the primary cause of root rot.. but as you mentioned you have good drainage so i doubt this is the cause of your plants ailment.

personally i would rake into the top of the soil a good handful of 'blood and bone' or blood meal to boost the N levels of your soil... just water it in, its is fast in adding N.

your plants look healthy and there doesnt appear to be any signs of deficiency (apart from N) or pests so that would be my first port of call dude.

all the best!!
Peace:peace::Namaste:

some plants will naturally have a good % of their foliage turning yellow, this is because the plant tends towards potassium and phosphorus(phosphates) for formation of flowers and seed production etc.. Nitrogen is primarily use to aid in the development of the plants root system, allowing your plants to take in more nutrients, allowing your plants to grow more rapidly and produce large amounts of foliage.. which in turn sets the foundations for larger yields in flowering, also enabling your plants to have better resistance to pests, diseases etc (a slight oversimplification of the process but gives a general idea)... even though the plant will focus more on flower formation during the 12/12 light cycle it still uses excess N reserves within the plant to aid in this... and if you are seeing EXCESSIVE yellowing of your leaves (especially more advanced symptoms of the leaves turning brown and withering, hanging down around base of leaf stem) then you may certainly need to look at adding N to your plants.

Peace /|\

While some yellowing of leaves is totally normal. Your plants do look nitrogen hungry. Basically all the leaves look far too pale.

Some fish fert or blood meal is a good way to give nitrogen.

May Day May Day
Come in Spanish Grow (!)
I've got the same thing happening to my leaves. Was it the nitrogen or a root issue?
Love to know asap.lease

containers. potted up from 1gal to 15 gal 2-3 weeks ago. made this soil recipe:
5gal compost
5gal peat
5gal verm/perl
1/2c kelp (fungus)
1/2c Azomite(trace min)
1/4c wood ash(Calcium, micro)
1/2c gypsum (Calcium)
1/4c dolomite lime (ph, magnesium)
1/4c bat guano(bacterial)

haven't fed them since then.

containers. potted up from 1gal to 15 gal 2-3 weeks ago. made this soil recipe:
5gal compost
5gal peat
5gal verm/perl
1/2c kelp (fungus)
1/2c Azomite(trace min)
1/4c wood ash(Calcium, micro)
1/2c gypsum (Calcium)
1/4c dolomite lime (ph, magnesium)
1/4c bat guano(bacterial)

haven't fed them since then.
Good start on the soil recipe and it should be possible to carry a plant through vegetation and flowering with just water if need be. Need someone who has worked with soil mixes for awhile to check the recipe.

I do not see a good source of supplemental Nitrogen for the soil mix other than what is in the compost and the minor amounts in the Kelp. The bat Guano could be formulated for nitrogen or it could have been harvested for the Phosphorus. We will need to know the numbers on the package. If it is the source of Nitrogen then I do not see a source for supplemental Phosphorus.

My notes suggest using Neem Seed Meal as one source of additional Nitrogen and as a control for soil fungus. Using Kelp is considered good for the overall health and strength of plant and not necessarily a major source of any of the macro nutrients (N-P-K) and no mention of Kelp as a help with fungus or insects. But, I do have some super Kelp mixtures as a major source of Potassium.

If I am doing the math right you have pretty close to 2 cubic feet of the "Holy Trinity of Soil Mix" which is the Compost, Peat Moss and Perlite/Vermiculite mix. Pretty sure that I have seen somewhere on this message board or in articles on the net the way to adjust the ratio of the additional amendments to match the base mix. You might have to double the amounts of everything that you measured by the cup.

Have a great day.

hi folks

i have a problem with my ladies this year. i am thinking it is root rot or root oxygen starvation. or is it a nutritional deficiency?¿?¿ can any body give me a heads up what is wrong with them?¿??¿ the plants are already flowering, in soil, in pots, well draining soil, ph good. the leaves are turning yellow / white in a day or 2 & falling off at an alarming rate.

thxs in advance

spanish grow

SL371229.JPG
SL371226.JPG
SL371219.JPG
SL371212.JPG
SL371211.JPG
SL371202.JPG
SL371195.JPG
SL371198.JPG
IMG_20240109_000434430.jpg

I have something similar going on in my autopot the top float lost rubber piece so it been over filling it Its first week flower. I've been using GH Lucas formula 2 ml cal magic and 8 ml of micro 16 ml bloom 1.8 ec 5.9 ph pulled pot yesterday u could smell rotten eggs when I did and has few roots growing down in water I added lil bleach then let it dry out was that right thing to do ? I ordered rubber piece untill then I'll fill tray myself I've pulled most real yellow leaves off but the whole plant looks off don't it?

RDT_20240125_0151221585009802971700414.png

I have something similar going on in my autopot the top float lost rubber piece so it been over filling it Its first week flower. I've been using GH Lucas formula 2 ml cal magic and 8 ml of micro 16 ml bloom 1.8 ec 5.9 ph pulled pot yesterday u could smell rotten eggs when I did and has few roots growing down in water I added lil bleach then let it dry out was that right thing to do ? I ordered rubber piece untill then I'll fill tray myself I've pulled most real yellow leaves off but the whole plant looks off don't it?

RDT_20240125_0151221585009802971700414.png

You probably want to start a new thread, this one was started 12 years ago. I can tell you that the rotten egg smell is not good, often means you've got anaerobic conditions in the root mass. Not so sure about the bleach, I'm not an an auto-pot guy.

Hello gremlinn and welcome to 420Magazine.com. Do not use bleach. Please go over the procedure on how frequent the hydroponic nutrient solution is changed, what products are used and how many millilitres per gallon/ litre at each watering for the nutrient solution.

Hello gremlinn and welcome to 420Magazine.com. Do not use bleach. Please go over the procedure on how frequent the hydroponic nutrient solution is changed, what products are used and how many millilitres per gallon/ litre at each watering for the nutrient solution.

It's not a hydroponic set up it's a autopot grown in coco perlite 50/50 and my float was working which it over fillung my tray is how it came about I used like 5 DD drops bleach in quart of water poured it around root base it still looks same I use GH products I use 1 ml of l silica si every other watering I use Lucas formula 5 ml of micro ten ml bloom 2 ml cal mag all these ever watering I unhooked res so now I just put it in tray as needed manually. I got roots growing in tray now so Im going contune with this toll it's done or it dies ec 1.6 ph 6.0 I just fill tray as it dries out I don't think I missed anything it looks same just everyday it's a leaf or two on bottom turns yellow she looks sick im in 2 and week of flower

Hello in growing in autopot 2 nd week flower coco petite 50/50 my valve broke so I've been filling tray as needed unhooked res. GH I use one ml silica every other watering I use 2.5 ml cal mag 5 ml micro 10 ml bloom (Lucas formula) ec 1.6 ph 6.0 only used bleach once I put 6 drops in a quart water poured around base ill continue filling tray ss needed because its roots growing in tray now sge still looks sick everyday i notice leaves on bottom getting yellow

IMG_20240130_141055927.jpg

We want 5.8 pH for hydroponics and to maintain this stability so the nutrients in suspension are also absorbable to the plants requirements thorough their grow. How often do you completely change out the nutrient solution? Which scale is your electrical conductivity meter using? A e.c. of 1.6 is too high where the plant is barely able to use any nutrients from the solution. How is the nutrient solution in the autopot being circulated and oxygenated? Hydrogen peroxide is safe for cannabis plants roots as a sterilizing agent.

We want 5.8 pH for hydroponics and to maintain this stability so the nutrients in suspension are also absorbable to the plants requirements thorough their grow. How often do you completely change out the nutrient solution? Which scale is your electrical conductivity meter using? A e.c. of 1.6 is too high where the plant is barely able to use any nutrients from the solution. How is the nutrient solution in the autopot being circulated and oxygenated? Hydrogen peroxide is safe for cannabis plants roots as a sterilizing agent.
Completlychange res once a week I clean every thing then res. Hose valve and tray I use peroxide in myres I ph res to 5.8 I. The tray it's 6.0 I'm not using hydro I use coco perlite 50/50 I'm no longer using res my valve broke plus I got roots growing out of pot in tray
We want 5.8 pH for hydroponics and to maintain this stability so the nutrients in suspension are also absorbable to the plants requirements thorough their grow. How often do you completely change out the nutrient solution? Which scale is your electrical conductivity meter using? A e.c. of 1.6 is too high where the plant is barely able to use any nutrients from the solution. How is the nutrient solution in the autopot being circulated and oxygenated? Hydrogen peroxide is safe for cannabis plants roots as a sterilizing agent

The tray it's 6.0
We maintain only 5.8 pH is stable for cannabis plants to access the nutrients in solution or deficiency results. The larger the reservoir size the longer the pH and nutrient solution remains pH stable and allows the plant to select which nutrients or more water from the solution as required. We do not add additional nutrients before changing the nutrient solution. Electrical conductivity will naturally rise as the cannabis plant uses more water rather than nutrients from the nutrient solution. pH adjusted water is added to the nutrient solution daily to maintain this optimal environment.

A small reservoir limits the time length the cannabis plant can access its requirements.

Please calibrate the pH meter before use.

I would clean the autopot and create a new nutrient solution and only add pH adjusted water to reduce to 5.8 pH thorough the day between water changes until the replacement part can be installed.

It's not a hydroponic set up it's a autopot grown in coco perlite 50/50
If I am remembering right, the person that we should invite over is @Bill284.

The mix you are using might be called a soil mix but it is not what a traditional decomposing organic based soil is.

Yes, your mix is not many might consider a traditional hydroponic method where the roots are often sitting in water or being constantly sprayed by a water mist. Thing is, using a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite is a hydro style grow method since the roots will get nutrients that are mixed into the daily watering and not from decomposing dirt, worm castings etc.. This means that hydroponic techniques and rules should be used.

The pH of the water being used should be at 5.8 and not the soil recommended level of 6.3. Mix the nutrients according to the instructions and in the recommended order. Then water & feed daily.

Back
Top Bottom