Rosy Bubbles - Blue Mystic/Jock Horror Autoflower Grow

I think the numbers given by the seed suppliers, in terms of time to harvest and yield amounts are the absolute best case scenario, done in the best possible environment.

I think in a real world grow you may find an occasional sprout with genetics fine enough to perform up to those specifications, but on average, as they say, "Your milage may vary!"

From what I've from other posts, standard seeds (non auto) will grow and flower fine at 12/12 from the start, but your yield will be substantially smaller than if you vegged them for a few weeks first.

Usually they won't flower as soon as autos do, typically 2-3 weeks behind as they need time and are slower to hit maturity than autos and thus take a little longer to finish.

Very cool!

I just read the whole thread. I was almost gonna do the DIY water cooler thing myself a few months ago. Now you have re-inspired me!

And the rest of the setup is all great! And the plants are paying off in spades it seems. Getting close - congrats!

:nicethread::peace::rollit:

Thanks and I was just reading thru your journal myself yesterday which inspired me to post some updates to mine since I had the time. :popcorn:

There are definitely quite a few ways to do the DIY water cooler. During the 100F+ temps earlier this year I was running 75-80F res temps even after insulating the box. Adding ice was to much work so I built the fridge chiller and its worked amazingly. Once I got it running the temps stayed right at 69-70F and as the outside temp has fallen I have been able to crank down the temp of the fridge to maintain 68-70F.

I would love to get my plants to wait to flower that long. I will have to try this strain. Would it be better to just 12/12 from seed with a standard? The standard is 10-11 weeks for flower, instead of 8-9 weeks. I believe they would flower under 12/12 at about the same time as the autos would, but then you get a few more weeks of flower. Once yours are done, let us know what the smoke is like, I have heard great reviews of it for a daytime high, but I rarely trust seedbank reviews.

I don't actually know how much of the 'auto-flower' gene made it into the Jock Horror on this batch. They really didn't bother flowering until I switched the lights to 12/12 for the bag-seed plants. I think the auto gene may have helped to keep them short but I'm not so confident they would have flowered without the 12/12 help.

The NYPD is a sativa dom / indica mix that I am going to try to 12/12 as soon as possible. Endives post is correct in both assuming perfect genetics and perfect environment. Endive is also correct in that a regular plant switched immediately into 12/12 will not yield out. You could expect maybe 15g-30g max per plant. But when you do this method you can usually do 15-40 plants at a time as they are only 1.5ft tall sticks. The most impressive that I have seen is a guy by the name of jrosek. He could do a 55-day perputal harvest of 1.5-2lbs in a 4'ft X 4'ft tent with a 600 or 1000watt hid. He used 1gal bags and packed the tent with clones and immediately went 12/12 after 7 days of letting the clones root. Each plant got 15-30g's and where buds on a stick. He also stripped them of ALL fan leaves thru the whole flower cycle.

Couple corrections to my last post. Here is how jrosek did his grows.

"After many years of trial and error i now use 25 1gal buckets in a 44"x44" area with a 600hps. results are pretty standard, I harvest just around 2lbs every 55 days."

"I veg for 10 days from a rooted clone."

"you are absolutely correct about the trimming, I trim all of the fan leaves at 21 days flower and again at 45 days flower, This allows all the lower sight's to get maximum light. I'de have to say im a believer in maximum plant numbers for the maximum weight.
When growing with a 600,many small plants will get much better coverage than bush growing. Of course this is only my opinion and no offense intended to anyone.

JP, I use 65% perlite to 35% vermiculite.
The strain is some old bog bubbleicous that ive had longer than my kids!lol"

"I believe this is due to much better ariation. I went soiless at the beginning of the year on an experiment and never went back.
It seems that with a soiless mix of per/verm, that a straight hydro feed program works extremely well with out the hydro system... Hence explosive root system and overall growth. Give it a shot some time, i think you'll like it!
I used to grow bushes as well, outside we used 20 gal containers and grew 3-4lb plants without trimming the fan leaves( if we only new!!)
inside, i used 4-5 gallon buckets and could average 6 zips per plants(4plants)
The most important thing i noticed about shorter multiple plants in 1gal is the penetration. with a 600, we had a difficult time getting the lower parts to finish up properly, we could superharvest but in all would waist an extra month in flower.
The smaller ones average around 15" and fully rippen under 60 days, wich is another benefit with smaller, It cuts a week off flowering with the same strain. Nothing like having the biggest and most potent buds with no scraps left over!
In my experience, i could never achieve 2lbs from bushes with 1 600hps, i would say it's very difficult to even get 1lb."

" must say i was shocked when i first heard of this procedure! Everything i knew and learned over 14yrs told me that it was insane to cut off all the fan leaves!
Low and behold, after a couple experiments, there is NO turning back!
After Long and carefull thought of why this works... I come to this conclusion:
1, The bud site itself grows small fan leaves that support the growth of the bud, Do not remove these, You can trim them if they are to large and shading other buds.
2, once the roots are established and the plant is healthy, the support of the large fan leaf is not necessary. I believe they are more essential for outside growth where the conditions are no perfect, watering feeding , ect..."

---------------

You can search Google for those quotes if your interested in reading the thread and seeing pics.

He has now scaled up his operation into beds of 40 plants.

I don't actually know how much of the 'auto-flower' gene made it into the Jock Horror on this batch. They really didn't bother flowering until I switched the lights to 12/12 for the bag-seed plants. I think the auto gene may have helped to keep them short but I'm not so confident they would have flowered without the 12/12 help.

The NYPD is a sativa dom / indica mix that I am going to try to 12/12 as soon as possible. Endives post is correct in both assuming perfect genetics and perfect environment. Endive is also correct in that a regular plant switched immediately into 12/12 will not yield out. You could expect maybe 15g-30g max per plant. But when you do this method you can usually do 15-40 plants at a time as they are only 1.5ft tall sticks. The most impressive that I have seen is a guy by the name of jrosek. He could do a 55-day perputal harvest of 1.5-2lbs in a 4'ft X 4'ft tent with a 600 or 1000watt hid. He used 1gal bags and packed the tent with clones and immediately went 12/12 after 7 days of letting the clones root. Each plant got 15-30g's and where buds on a stick. He also stripped them of ALL fan leaves thru the whole flower cycle.

That is very close to the plan that I had for running sativas indoors. Except I was not planning on taking all fan leaves off, just all branches. I think 15-30g per plant might be a tad low, though, no? Maybe because he was using clones? Seems that the general consensus (not that consensus means correct) is that 12/12 from start works better with seeds. Docbud (who was using CO2) got about 2oz/plant running sativa in 12/12 with nothing but osmocote+ in hempy buckets. The pics are ridiculous! If I could get 30-45g per plant I would call that a win; less than Doc got, but I do not use CO2.

Here is one of his harvest pics:
IMG_10177.JPG

That's funny. I just had a buddy, who has a few outdoor plants, tell me that he cut all of his fan leaves off because some kid at work told him it was a good idea. I told him it was a crazy and risky idea, because fan leaves are what produce the plants energy.

After reading your last post, Mr.Rose, I think I am going to have to do some experimentation and see for myself.

+rep for getting me to think outside the box!

Couple corrections to my last post. Here is how jrosek did his grows.

"After many years of trial and error i now use 25 1gal buckets in a 44"x44" area with a 600hps. results are pretty standard, I harvest just around 2lbs every 55 days."

{snip}

You can search Google for those quotes if your interested in reading the thread and seeing pics.

He has now scaled up his operation into beds of 40 plants.

Awesome, I will look into that! I am a huge fan of sativa, but doing it indoors seems like a real ball buster without some kind of height reduction, and I really do not want to have to do anything insane to keep them short.

I took a few new photos last night and I wanted to show off the sativa qualities of the Jock Horror. The Jock Horror also finally grew out from under my light so something had to be done. I stripped her of the fan leaves so that she stopped shading the other three plants. I also pulled her back to open the box up.

9-9-10-JockHorrorSativaLook.jpg

9-9-10-JockHorror.jpg

Now compare this to the natural jock horror. I do still believe these are separate phenos even tho one was topped.

9-9-10-JockHorrorStraight.jpg

Next up are some more shots from the ripening Blue Mystic :tokin:

9-9-10-BlueMystic.jpg

9-9-10-BlueMysticCloseup.jpg

Remember the NYPD sprouts that had just started two nights ago? Here they are last night when I checked on them. :)

9-9-10-NYPD1.jpg

9-9-10-NYPD2.jpg

More updates to follow later!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom