Rosy Bubbles - Blue Mystic/Jock Horror Autoflower Grow

scaredeecat,

I never really let the fridge totally cool the copper before adding the water box so I'm not totally sure on the temps. I know its keep the water near 70 and the fridge does appear to run a bit cooler.

The plants have really taken off the in last two or three days. They are looking really healthy.

8/15/2010
8-15-2010.jpg

bag-seed.jpg

8-15-2010-2nd.jpg

I will be attempting to do a bit more LST to the bag seeds while I wait for my new Ushio 600watt hps bulb to arrive for flowering.

So far I am really happy with the auto-flowers and I can't wait to try a rotation harvest of nothing but auto-flowers. In about a month I plan to put together a veg box so that the auto-flowers will be started and ready to kick off at full force when the box becomes available again. I plan to do sets of two so that I can try harvesting once a month.

I saw a heavy-duty timer at Ace Hardware today with, I think, 96 on/off settings per day for only 22 dollars. How many on/off settings per day are needed?

Max420,

I have just two set points on a 24 hour dial. One point for ON and One point for OFF.

With a $22 timer you need to check to see what its rated to handle in both watts and amps.

The only other news to report is that the grow tent is now in 12/12 and waiting to see what the bag-seeds sex as.

I have also ramped the ppms up to 1700ppm.

8/19/10 update

PH is flexing between 5.8 and 6.5 as the plants drink.

PPM is now a mix of flower and veg nutes @ 1700ppm

Ambient tent temp is low of 76F and high of 82F.

Reservoir temps are stable at 70-71F now.

First up I got the opportunity to insulate the cooling tubes.

insulated-tubes.jpg

Next up I got the 12"x4" Phat filter installed into the tent. I still need to attach it to the HID hood since I accidental grabbed the wrong size adapter. I really have to say that I am surprised by the weight of the Phat filter. Its not a strain on the arms at all when lifting or hanging.

phat-filter.jpg

filter-general.jpg

Flowering: Day 2

Plants are looking healthy and are taking on quite a root mass. I have them on a 12/12 schedule with no darkness period. I am going to see how the auto-flowers respond to this light schedule. The ushio 600watt HPS is on the way and will probably go in during week 2 or 3 of flowering.

Does anyone have any experience with the Sun Pluse MH bulbs? They look very interesting to me as I have a digital lumatek ballast.

First up is a shot of the Nirvana Blue Mystic auto-flower from the bad batch run of seeds. She has already been flowering for a few days.

8-19-10-bluemystic.jpg

The next pic the auto-flower Jock Horrors are blending right in with the much older bag-seed plants. The back middle jock horror has been topped and the two main colas are growing taller then the non topped Jock Horror. I will be relieved as soon as the bag-seeds show sex so I can develop a final goal for flowering.

8-19-10-bagseed.jpg

Close up of the leaves.

8-19-10.jpg

Thanks scaredeecat, I am definitely having alot of fun doing this grow. I am also very pleased that I managed to get all the temps regulated in the middle of summer when temps are near 90+F everyday with a HID setup. :yummy:

The little blue mystic runt is looking better and better everyday now that shes flowering. Shes starting to put on some height finally.

Day 5 of flowering.

I have switched the bulb to a 600watt Ushio HPS. Everything is still stable and green. Smell is starting to pick up but the carbon filter seems to be handling it fine. I can't notice any smells.

8-22-10.jpg

8-22-10-closeup.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Mr.Rose, awsome grow but i'm more impressed with your setup and equipement. I think your harvest will be trully bountiful! I don't know anything abought growing but i'm more of a positive encourager. SMOKEON, SAMWISEE.:hookah:

I hear you. I have a circuit breaker timer and a cheap one from walmart. Thing is I cant really do much wiring as I down Own the space I am growing in. What would be a cost effective safe solution for people who rent and want to use HID's? Eventually I imagine just using LED lights but thats after I get some exp and get my money saved up and all. :thanks: in advance

If it makes you feel better, my local hydro shop uses cheap walmart timers for their entire grow room, and its been running for about 12 years. And their grow room is massive. 3 aeroponics setups, 2 ebb and flows, and a few bucket systems also. TONS of lights in that room, all of which are plugged into cheapo digital timers, everything from plasmas to 1k watt HIDs to CFLs to T5s.

If it makes you feel better, my local hydro shop uses cheap walmart timers for their entire grow room, and its been running for about 12 years. And their grow room is massive. 3 aeroponics setups, 2 ebb and flows, and a few bucket systems also. TONS of lights in that room, all of which are plugged into cheapo digital timers, everything from plasmas to 1k watt HIDs to CFLs to T5s.

That really shouldn't make anyone feel better. That sounds like a fire hazard and I don't forsee the insurance company paying out either once the fire investigation is completed.

Have they ever mentioned how many they caught right away just as it started smoking before bursting into flames?

Imo, if your running a hydro shop you should be teaching your customers how to do this hobby safely. It's not like it is that difficult to properly wire up some HD timers and conduit even with multiple setups and an array of lights.

That really shouldn't make anyone feel better. That sounds like a fire hazard and I don't forsee the insurance company paying out either once the fire investigation is completed.

Have they ever mentioned how many they caught right away just as it started smoking before bursting into flames?

Imo, if your running a hydro shop you should be teaching your customers how to do this hobby safely. It's not like it is that difficult to properly wire up some HD timers and conduit even with multiple setups and an array of lights.

I agree that you *should* use real timers for this sort of thing, don't get me wrong. However, statistically speaking, you have a better chance of lightning burning your house down that a digital timer bursting into flame if you make sure it is rated for the use you put it in place for.

Now, for those REALLY cheap plug in timers, the ones you stick the breakers on that click around, no way I would use those for anything with any juice behind it. They can fail mechanically and start arcing. Digital timers, not so much.

If you have some sources showing the danger behind using a plug in digital timer, I would love to read them. I actually have a few line in timers I can run if I decide to, that were previously used for the pool (before we started running it 24/7).

Also if you want to know why I don't screw around with electrical safety just go to google and search for the following keywords.

marijuana grow fire

You will find page after page after page of people being busted have their house burnt down. Talk about a shitty circumstance.

Heres a link for those to lazy to google because this is a serious matter.

Let me google that for you

basement grow,

Sorry we cross-posted on each other, I meant that last post to be an extension of my previous post.

The digital timer isn't so bad but I am not sure on the amp ratings. Alot of the timers I see are rated for ridiculous watts but absolutely no amps. You even have to pay attention to the temperature at which these timers are rated. Most are not meant to be in an enclosed space of 85F+ and 45% humidity.

A pool timer is much safer and definitely rated for a HID. My Intermatic T101 is basically a pool pump timer without the all weather enclosure. Timers rated to handle a 1hp+ motor is where you need to start at minimum I would say.

Also if you want to know why I don't screw around with electrical safety just go to google and search for the following keywords.

marijuana grow fire

You will find page after page after page of people being busted have their house burnt down. Talk about a shitty circumstance.

Heres a link for those to lazy to google because this is a serious matter.

Let me google that for you

Maybe I am missing something, but not one of those fires started from a timer, most from lamps contacting a flammable medium, one from a candle left burning in the grow room (who does this?), and a few were from people hotwiring the entire house for their lamps.

Like I said before, safety is paramount, but the timer is rarely the cause of the fire.

Maybe I am missing something, but not one of those fires started from a timer, most from lamps contacting a flammable medium, one from a candle left burning in the grow room (who does this?), and a few were from people hotwiring the entire house for their lamps.

Like I said before, safety is paramount, but the timer is rarely the cause of the fire.

The google results weren't specific to timers. It was just to give people an idea about how common the fires really are and that you need to think a grow all the way thru. Circuit box all the way back to your grow. Electrical fires just SUCK.

But I am sure both of us would be scared to learn just how many people try running a HID from a cheap walmart timer.

But I can't disagree on your digital timers as I do not own one and have not seen the ratings or its construction. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
:roorrip:

Circuit box all the way back to your grow. Electrical fires just SUCK.

I 100% agree. If your wiring is not up to par, you are asking for a nightmare. My entire set up is wired to a 4 way box directly to the breaker box (5 feet away with its own redundant breaker). I get so nervous when I see people running pumps, lamps, fans, movers, etc off of a 2 socket receptacle in their closet on a surge protector.

Mr.Rose, awsome grow but i'm more impressed with your setup and equipement. I think your harvest will be trully bountiful! I don't know anything abought growing but i'm more of a positive encourager. SMOKEON, SAMWISEE.:hookah:

Thanks! I appreciate the great comment. +Reps

This is the kind of encouragement that makes these boards so great! :slide:

Back
Top Bottom