Running With Scissors - My CFL Grow - My First Grow Altogether

If I didn't already have the aluminum roofing I would use a lighter gauge. My first thought was to go to the grocery store and get disposable aluminum baking pans. Hell, go to the dollar tree and get a dozen and you will have enough for trial an error at a minimum cost.

agreed, only problem i would see with that is ive heard aluminum can create hot spots. So maybe even taking like a bendable white poster board and putting a string or something thru the ends to make a U

i think the mylar your using in your box is okay but ive always heard using aluminum is a bad idea so ive stayed away from it. Thats why i decided to use flat white paint instead of emergency blankets even though they are technically mylar. I work with Infrared cameras and aluminum does reflect a lot of heat. White shiny surfaces will reflect heat but not as well. Maybe someone else will chime in on this. I may be mistaken. Maybe you could sand the aluminum then paint it white?

Hi Johnnyvictory,
Plants are looking healthy, just curious though. the soil in the pots with the clones looks like mulch? is that just a top dressing to prevent trenching and help hold in moisture? If it is, might I suggest either using hydro-ton clay pellets or perlite. Mulch is dead plant material and dead plant material will attract pests.

Hi Johnnyvictory,
Plants are looking healthy, just curious though. the soil in the pots with the clones looks like mulch? is that just a top dressing to prevent trenching and help hold in moisture? If it is, might I suggest either using hydro-ton clay pellets or perlite. Mulch is dead plant material and dead plant material will attract pests.

I appreciate your advice and take it with gravity. I want to learn all I can. No, the clones are in the same soil as the plants, a store brand potting soil from Stine. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with pests yet on this specific plant type.

Does anyone have any input on using aluminum as reflectors as mentioned earlier? As an overall material I should specify. I understand if I used disposable aluminum baking sheets to mold reflectors as opposed to my idea of cutting pre-shaped reflectors out of wide channeled aluminum of a heavier gauge that I already possess, the reflective properties are going to be different. If I can make it, I do not want to buy it. If I shouldn't make it, I do not want to negatively effect my grow efforts by trying.

Here are today's pics. Everything seems to be progressing really well. the box is holding a pretty steady environment. I'm going to have to start flowering soon I believe due to height restrictions. I need to start setting up an 18/6 chamber for the clones inside of something new, I can't divide this chamber because of exhaust.
IMG_20151123_122026234_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151123_122006923_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151123_122000655_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151123_121949242_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151123_121944498_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151123_121935109_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151123_121912742_HDR.jpg

Looking good bro. I would steer clear of aluminum, I used it for about 2 day and decided against it because the temps in the box rose about 8 degrees. Subbed!

So I had this weird, fortunate week. I found an 80lb pig on my carport the other day, was going to take him to my sister's farm to get it butchered for my freezer, but he was the sweetest pig. Turned out to be an abandoned pet, that I rehomed to a grandpa and grand kids as a pet instead. Then today I'm out on my mother's property doing chores and a turkey shows up in the yard. Big one. I'm like, "hey I didn't get to eat the pig, but fortune shines it's light upon me again." My mother had me go knock on doors to see who's it is instead. I found the owner a half mile down this rural road my mother lives on, and she says hey, my parents moved, in the shed is yard sale leftovers, take what you want. I got an hps work light , one of those "portable closets" that are wrapped in material, some really cool fans, plus a bunch of other random stuff. I will start building my second grow closet tomorrow!

So I had this weird, fortunate week. I found an 80lb pig on my carport the other day, was going to take him to my sister's farm to get it butchered for my freezer, but he was the sweetest pig. Turned out to be an abandoned pet, that I rehomed to a grandpa and grand kids as a pet instead. Then today I'm out on my mother's property doing chores and a turkey shows up in the yard. Big one. I'm like, "hey I didn't get to eat the pig, but fortune shines it's light upon me again." My mother had me go knock on doors to see who's it is instead. I found the owner a half mile down this rural road my mother lives on, and she says hey, my parents moved, in the shed is yard sale leftovers, take what you want. I got an hps work light , one of those "portable closets" that are wrapped in material, some really cool fans, plus a bunch of other random stuff. I will start building my second grow closet tomorrow!

I decided I should stop being a cheap bastard considering how lucky I've been with everything. I just order a red, blue, orange, white led panel for flowering next week. I'm really excited. Anyone one have advice for utilizing leds well other than the standard google search info? People share so much valuable info in these forums, I'd really appreciate any tips or advice about utilizing leds properly!

Of course you know I'm no expert but i've always heard 15 to 18 inches away and i would use some supplementary lighting on the side and lower because the leds will mainly only get the top. maybe throw a few 2700k cfls around them just to help out the lower. I've looked at a bunch of LED grows and they do a great job. I'm slowly upgrading as i go but i would like to go led when i can afford it and stop being cheap lol

If you have good ventilation you might even be able to throw that hps in there too

Looking good! I'm a newbie doing research for my first grow. Can you tell me how many lights/lumens? Also if someone could tell me how to subb to a journal or thread that would be great!
Never mind I see it does it automatically

Of course you know I'm no expert but i've always heard 15 to 18 inches away and i would use some supplementary lighting on the side and lower because the leds will mainly only get the top. maybe throw a few 2700k cfls around them just to help out the lower. I've looked at a bunch of LED grows and they do a great job. I'm slowly upgrading as i go but i would like to go led when i can afford it and stop being cheap lol

If you have good ventilation you might even be able to throw that hps in there too

The ventilation is adequate for now, but I'd need to add a couple more computer fans to exhaust enough for the hps. At first I was going to add the hps but keeping in mind the need for 2nd chamber to keep the clones going 18hrs I think I'll try to do the rest of their veg with the hps in a second location. I agree about dropping the cfls to the sides when I add the led this week. I'll take some pics in the morning, those girls are getting big!

I have a total of 7 23watt cfls in there for now. At the top of this page there is are a few menu options, look for the one that says thread tools, thats where you subscribe.

This has got to be the luckiest man alive.... :Namaste: :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom