Rust On Sugars

Should I be concerned with the rust color in the margins on the sugars? Is this a cal/mag issue? It’s only happening on the 1 of 4, it’s a white widow. I supplement every other watering. This my second indoor grow and still unsure of how to deal with the Cal/mg issue if it arises. Thanks

DSC00600.JPG

I'm still too new to be a lot of help, I do know as things wind down to end of flower you will see browning. I see your pistols turning so you are in that stage.

You got a few weeks to go yet, so yes a dose of CaMg P/K won't hurt
It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, especially WW which is a greedy bugger
I've been giving cal/mg every other watering at 1ml per liter. Will up the dose a bit.

I would need more pictures to confirm, but it does look like a calcium deficiency to me. Give a dose of calmag with every watering and you should be able to keep this from spreading.
Was giving calmag every other, will now with every watering. Thanks.

I would need more pictures to confirm, but it does look like a calcium deficiency to me. Give a dose of calmag with every watering and you should be able to keep this from spreading.
Here are more pics. I've never had this issue but knew it was likely to happen at some point. Thanks for looking. It is on the smaller upper colas, not the large main buds &1 plant only. I gave calmag at lights on/watering.Everything else looks great.

DSC00605.JPG

DSC00606.JPG

DSC00608.JPG

DSC00609.JPG

Yep, it looks like a calcium deficiency alright. Steady calmag till the end on this one... some need it, some don't.
Calmag deficiencies were something I heard mention of before, but it didn’t affect me growing outside. Knowing it would show at some point since starting indoors, I supplemented every other water and had no issue during the first grow. Is this something best prevented with prophylactic treatments or is it better treated when it shows? Same thought – does it hurt to supplement ca/mg plants that don’t show a deficiency? Thank you, I appreciate the help.

how is the bottom leaves looking ? , can you do a pic of the full plant in pot :) sometimes excess cal can do the same symptoms on the leaves but would be (k) defs on lower leaves, some People have enough cal mag in their water supply , some nutrients also have plenty onboard too :)
and too much mag will block the cal at the top
While too much magnesium for plants does not directly affect plant production, it can cause deficiencies in the other nutrients in the soil such as calcium and potassium. too much magnesium contributes to a deficiency in calcium

how is the bottom leaves looking ? , can you do a pic of the full plant in pot :) sometimes excess cal can do the same symptoms on the leaves but would be (k) defs on lower leaves, some People have enough cal mag in their water supply , some nutrients also have plenty onboard too :)
and too much mag will block the cal at the top
While too much magnesium for plants does not directly affect plant production, it can cause deficiencies in the other nutrients in the soil such as calcium and potassium. When too much magnesium contributes to a deficiency in calcium
The bottom leaves look good, all green no rust or yellowing. Greener than I would expect at this stage. Can get a pic tonight if wanted. Here is a pic of the ww from the 26th. I was wondering if its the calmag keeping them greener? Usually I have some yellowing on the lower fans before now. The rust is only on the 1 of 4 plants, all four are different strains. The rust is not effecting the whole plant, only the smaller to mid size tops of buds on the white w. the mains are large and look fantastic.
If I understand - best to minimally supplement, then treat individually with more calmag if needed?? Thanks

:thanks:

DSC00583.JPG

I would almost ride it out as it looks super :goodjob:, not a big issue > i just finished a ww and she give me a load of def leaves , fussy with too little and fussy with a bit too much .
do you know if your in hard or soft water , and do your nutes hold cal and mag , my ppm is only 40/45 from the tap , when i grow synthetic i never have to add cal/mag because the nutes have enough to do, with soil organic i build a soil use slow release cal

Nice job , it looked worse than it is :thumb:

Calmag deficiencies were something I heard mention of before, but it didn’t affect me growing outside. Knowing it would show at some point since starting indoors, I supplemented every other water and had no issue during the first grow. Is this something best prevented with prophylactic treatments or is it better treated when it shows? Same thought – does it hurt to supplement ca/mg plants that don’t show a deficiency? Thank you, I appreciate the help.
The bottom leaves look good, all green no rust or yellowing. Greener than I would expect at this stage. Can get a pic tonight if wanted. Here is a pic of the ww from the 26th. I was wondering if its the calmag keeping them greener? Usually I have some yellowing on the lower fans before now. The rust is only on the 1 of 4 plants, all four are different strains. The rust is not effecting the whole plant, only the smaller to mid size tops of buds on the white w. the mains are large and look fantastic.
If I understand - best to minimally supplement, then treat individually with more calmag if needed?? Thanks

:thanks:
As long as you are giving maintenance doses of calmag, especially on hungry plants such as WW, it doesn't hurt to proactively dose... but then you don't know how close to that line you are, and maybe are wasting money giving supplements that are not needed. I gave calmag once on my present grow and then stopped using it as soon as that problem cleared up. Usually, once a plant shows a need for extra, that need continues for the rest of the grow.

Calcium presents in the upper leaves, Magnesium in the lower and middle leaves. Good green on your lower fans means that you have been feeding your plant properly and nutrition has not had to be stolen from the lower leaves, and maybe some of that is due to your proactive supplementing. Just go slow with this powerful additive... too much magnesium in the soil can quickly cause lockouts of other important elements.

I would almost ride it out as it looks super :goodjob:, not a big issue > i just finished a ww and she give me a load of def leaves , fussy with too little and fussy with a bit too much .
do you know if your in hard or soft water , and do your nutes hold cal and mag , my ppm is only 40/45 from the tap , when i grow synthetic i never have to add cal/mag because the nutes have enough to do

Nice job , it looked worse than it is :thumb:
I've started adding calmag with every water, 1ml per L. for the remainder of this grow. I would like to get a better understanding of the plants needs for future indoor grows. Specifically - do I supplement from the beginning or wait until there is a deficiency and then treat individually?
My ph is 6.8 to 7.1 and the water in the village where I live is from deep alpine aquifers. I use one of the lesser used, Dutch bottled nutrient trios with a couple local products and enzymes.

If you have run the plant before and know that there is usually a need, by all means supplement early... but generally you should wait to see a problem before treating a problem.

PH also seems to be an issue for you. The only pH measurement that means anything is the pH of your incoming fluids immediately before they hit the soil. This should be able to be accurately measured to exactly 6.3 pH each and every time. The range that you gave of 6.8-7.1 is confusing, and sounds like where your soil pH should have been factory set, and that sounds perfect... but again, come in with you fluids at 6.3 and let the system drift upward as it is designed to do, and this way your working pH will fall into the range that we all desire... 6.3-6.8, exactly where you want your plants to be. The longer you can stay in this range, the more chance the plant has to uptake the nutrients, and maybe simple and careful pH management will get you past this present deficiency without adding anything else.

The ph I mention is of the water from the spigot. I checked it a few times last summer for my outdoor grow. My testers no longer work. One of the alfalfa based products I use lowers the ph as do the bottled nutrients. I stopped checking ph. I know this is controversial and I may need to change my thinking at some point. Thank you.

The ph I mention is of the water from the spigot. I checked it a few times last summer for my outdoor grow. My testers no longer work. One of the alfalfa based products I use lowers the ph as do the bottled nutrients. I stopped checking ph. I know this is controversial and I may need to change my thinking at some point. Thank you.
The bigger stuff on the same plant shows no deficiencies at all. That's what seems odd to me.

DSC00610 - Copy.JPG

Back
Top Bottom