Sad seedling: any thoughts?

Vinny133

I have a Crown Royale from Crop King Seeds, the only one that popped out of five (they gave me a new pack) and it’s not doing well. The leaves are curling up indicating stress and it’s small for 14 days since popping. Can’t figure it out.

24” from Optic 1 LED (recommended distance).
In Fox Farm Ocean Forest ( people say it’s a bit hot but who knows).
Watering every 3-4 days when the soil feels dry and the container seems a bit lighter.
Humidity mid 40s-mid50s.
Temp mid 70s.
Straight water ph’d 6.5 to 6.8

I have other plants that are showing no signs at all.
Any thoughts?

603C24DF-A782-4035-AD7F-B8B2EF90A393.jpeg

I have a Crown Royale from Crop King Seeds, the only one that popped out of five (they gave me a new pack) and it’s not doing well. The leaves are curling up indicating stress and it’s small for 14 days since popping. Can’t figure it out.

24” from Optic 1 LED (recommended distance).
In Fox Farm Ocean Forest ( people say it’s a bit hot but who knows).
Watering every 3-4 days when the soil feels dry and the container seems a bit lighter.
Humidity mid 40s-mid50s.
Temp mid 70s.
Straight water ph’d 6.5 to 6.8

I have other plants that are showing no signs at all.
Any thoughts?

603C24DF-A782-4035-AD7F-B8B2EF90A393.jpeg
What type of water are you using? If its distilled or Reverse Osmosis dont pH your water in that soil. Also, high 70's in temp with higher rh would be good. All in all it looks fine though.

I second what @fanleaf said. FFOF is not hot. It's fine. Make a humidity dome out of a ziplock. Mist that sprout from time to time. They love humidity. We need to build roots. Are you using Fox Farms Big Bloom (100% Organic)? Clonex "Solution" is also very good at getting seedlings off to a great start. If I had to guess its root system is weak.

I second what @fanleaf said. FFOF is not hot. It's fine. Make a humidity dome out of a ziplock. Mist that sprout from time to time. They love humidity. We need to build roots. Are you using Fox Farms Big Bloom (100% Organic)? Clonex "Solution" is also very good at getting seedlings off to a great start. If I had to guess its root system is weak.
I feed straight water because FFOF has nutes for at least two months I’m told. First time with soil, usually coco.

They just look a little small for 15 days. I grew just like you in Fox Farm Ocean Forest, however, Fox Farm does recommend Big Bloom immediately. I also used Clonex "Solution" not gel. Here's the soil feeding schedule:

feeding-schedule.PNG

Here's a 15 day old plant root system built in Fox Farm Ocean Forest and then transplanted to coco.

roots1.jpg

Transplant complete:

plant-ak1.jpg

They just look a little small for 15 days. I grew just like you in Fox Farm Ocean Forest, however, Fox Farm does recommend Big Bloom immediately. I also used Clonex "Solution" not gel. Here's the soil feeding schedule:

feeding-schedule.PNG

Here's a 15 day old plant root system built in Fox Farm Ocean Forest and then transplanted to coco.

roots1.jpg

Transplant complete:

plant-ak1.jpg
Thanks man.

Lacking water. She's trying to retain moisture.

Once they get to the 3rd node you cant or its very difficult to over water.

Increase watering.

The plant is growing more roots than shoots right now.

Prolly getting close to time to up-pot.

She's easily 3x bigger in the soil that above at this stage.

Well, tried all suggestions. Tented to up RH, made it worse. Gave it a bit of a flush today (ph 6.5) in case there was lock out for some reason or too dry as some suggested, no change. My White Widow right next to it is doing beautifully, lush and green. At a loss as to what to try next. Going to give it a few days to see if flush helps at all. Could it just be just weak? This was the only seed in a 5 pack to germ and it took like 7 days. Is it possible it’s time to transplant into a bigger pot?

BB6D8356-0F4B-4E3D-967B-BCE205710605.jpeg

White Widow below, same tent.

E1FBD328-D8B7-4B78-B2BE-104953C7FBA2.jpeg

Flushing soil does nothing cept flood the roots and cut off oxygen.

It absolutely does NOT remove excess fertilizer.

Cation exchange capacity is a thing there.

Let her go a few days without watering.

Taco leaves usually means too hot lighting she's trying to raise her leaves to expose her stomata (poors like on your skin but on a plant they are on the underside of the leaf).

Reason for her to do this is so she can transpire more so she can up-take more water (with nutrients).

Best advice would be to get a small fan on her. I have a fan decent size blowing on the soil line 24/7 to help with this.

She will want to be watered again in 1-2 days.

Your plant doesn't look all that bad, just a little unhappy. She's maybe a little hot from the lights. I wouldn't change the lights - she will get used to it.

Flushing soil does nothing cept flood the roots and cut off oxygen.

It absolutely does NOT remove excess fertilizer.

Cation exchange capacity is a thing there.

Let her go a few days without watering.

Taco leaves usually means too hot lighting she's trying to raise her leaves to expose her stomata (poors like on your skin but on a plant they are on the underside of the leaf).

Reason for her to do this is so she can transpire more so she can up-take more water (with nutrients).

Best advice would be to get a small fan on her. I have a fan decent size blowing on the soil line 24/7 to help with this.

She will want to be watered again in 1-2 days.

Your plant doesn't look all that bad, just a little unhappy. She's maybe a little hot from the lights. I wouldn't change the lights - she will get used to it.
Thanks very much for the advice. I tried to flush incase PH was off. I am a rookie grower. This was suggested to me as kind of a last resort.

Back
Top Bottom