SIP and Swick 100gal cont

Pondwater

i have a 100gallon 4x8 plant bed its fabrick square and big

looking at the systems it seems thr sip is a better design with overflow pipe makign an airgap of 1inch

does the perlite top on swick do this also?
i read u get problems if they sit in the water and it seems on a swick thats what they wil do for a while

where as the sip drains and stays that level?
#
#

i have bluemats ontop,
autpot spyder half way down soil

and want a base feeder just incase as they get heavy in flower i have 8 plaants in here
i feed top dressings and worm teas, when i need /2 weekly,
but i feel that the swick may overwater as apposed to a sip? but i cant sip in a fabrick

can i do an overflow on a swick? is that a thing

@Azimuth , @ReservoirDog , @Bill284 , @Buds Buddy , @cbdhemp808 , @Emilya Green , and who am I missing???? (Haha.)

Pond, can you drape a bunch of wicks (12) across the elevator tray, and then just drop as many as you need into the water (start with 2??)

And if fine water control is a thing, then start with 2 super-thin wicks?

60/40 soil/perlite?

Or what do you think?

i have a 100gallon 4x8 plant bed its fabrick square and big

looking at the systems it seems thr sip is a better design with overflow pipe makign an airgap of 1inch
It is my contention that the air gap is the key to the success of the SIPs.

does the perlite top on swick do this also?
Probably partly but not as well. With a SIP there is usually an air gap while with perlite you might have air but won't have any air flow.
i read u get problems if they sit in the water and it seems on a swick thats what they wil do for a while

where as the sip drains and stays that level?
SIps are only watered from below through the fill tube. You seem to be thinking of some kind of hybrid. Watering from the bottom inroduces a bit of a moisture gradient similar to what is found in nature because, you know, gravity. The air gap really seems to get around that 'roots sitting in too wet soil' issue.

i have bluemats ontop,
autpot spyder half way down soil
and want a base feeder just incase as they get heavy in flower i have 8 plaants in here
i feed top dressings and worm teas, when i need /2 weekly,
but i feel that the swick may overwater as apposed to a sip?
The Blumats might overwater a sip as well as the soil will be soaked top to bottom as opposed to a normal SIP where it's wetter at the bottom and less so as you move higher in the pot.

but i cant sip in a fabrick
Don't tell @ReservoirDog since that's exactly what he does. He's got a design with two pots sharing a larger tote storage container for his reservoir.

Ok, thanks! I was just wondering if there were any learning points in this thread with SWICK.
It seemed like an easy idea just to have a number of different wicks with different thicknesses, and when the plant is small, let down two tiny ones, and if the plant is too wet, pick some of them out of the water.
And then put the pot on a stand 1" above the water.

1663090442326.png

Or is that NOT the same?

It is my contention that the air gap is the key to the success of the SIPs.
It would seem to be the major difference.
Only, does it have to be effected a certain way?
What does, and what does not work, for an airgap?
Probably partly but not as well. With a SIP there is usually an air gap while with perlite you might have air but won't have any air flow.
Ahhhh..... So air FLOW is a key?
So is more than one drain hole on the SIP desirable?
SIps are only watered from below through the fill tube.
Um, maybe I must be confused??
I thought you said you pour your nutes over the top once a week?
You seem to be thinking of some kind of hybrid.
Well, there are so many new ideas right now, frankly I am not 100% sure what to think, so I am trying to gather some data points.
Watering from the bottom inroduces a bit of a moisture gradient similar to what is found in nature because, you know, gravity. The air gap really seems to get around that 'roots sitting in too wet soil' issue.
Right.
But what works well for an air gap and air flow?
And what does NOT work well for an air gap, and air flow?
The Blumats might overwater a sip as well as the soil will be soaked top to bottom as opposed to a normal SIP where it's wetter at the bottom and less so as you move higher in the pot.
Yeah, sorry, I don't even know what a bluemat is.
Don't tell @ReservoirDog since that's exactly what he does. He's got a design with two pots sharing a larger tote storage container for his reservoir.
Oy.
I will have to go look at that again. I thought I saw RD putting soil straight into containers with false floors.

Ok, thanks! I was just wondering if there were any learning points in this thread with SWICK.
It seemed like an easy idea just to have a number of different wicks with different thicknesses, and when the plant is small, let down two tiny ones, and if the plant is too wet, pick some of them out of the water.
And then put the pot on a stand 1" above the water.

1663090442326.png

Or is that NOT the same?
I think that could totally work, but I like the success I've had with the SIPs so have no plans to explore other structures, at least at this point.

I think that could totally work, but I like the success I've had with the SIPs so have no plans to explore other structures, at least at this point.
Yeah, ok.
I will probably use the SIPs for now, and may try SWICK on the side, for an experiment.
Hopefully we will move in a couple of weeks, and I can get started...

Hey can you take pics of these systems. I am trying to take all this in and a picture will help me understand. If you do not want to share, I will understand.
@KeithLemon , a lot of people are talking about these. I am planning a new comparison thread, but I am not there yet.
There are a number of threads, but please try:

Buds is very welcoming, and you can ask any questions.

Hey can you take pics of these systems. I am trying to take all this in and a picture will help me understand. If you do not want to share, I will understand.
Here are some links if you want to explore:

Commercial SIP Diagram

Commercial SIP product

This link shows the System Buds' is using

Buds Buddy's SIP vs others
In this link you can see a comparison between a few of Buds' plants, a sip vs cloth containers.

Buds Current Grow
We're having a bit of background discussion on them in this link; how they work, how to build them, etc.

Thanks, Azi.
I was going to loop back around to give him some more links, and you beat me to it!!

Back
Top Bottom