Sip or swick my grassroots fab

Ok, thanks!

I was thinking like a 15 or 20g garbage can,
drill 12 holes
thread 6 nylon ropes through
Then put it above the reservoir, and drop in wicks as needed (and lift them out as needed).
That way maybe I could get some big photoperiod grows?

Alternately, I can try to make a big SIP from the garbage cans, like we talked about before.
The reason I like the SIP is it's relatively smallish reservoir compared to DWC hydro. With a larger reservoir I would think monitoring and adjusting pH regularly would be a necessity. I was using a pH pen when I tried a Hempy and thoroughly disliked the process. Not sure why as it was simple enough, but it just wasn't my jam. I want to grow organically so that just didn't seem to do it for me.

And I think the overly large reservoir would only be needed if one were to be away from the grow for long periods of time.

Sounds like you want to tinker, but I still think you should get a solid grow under your belt using some proven method that you feel comfortable with so you at least have a baseline that you can compare your experiments to.

The reason I like the SIP is it's relatively smallish reservoir compared to DWC hydro. With a larger reservoir I would think monitoring and adjusting pH regularly would be a necessity. I was using a pH pen when I tried a Hempy and thoroughly disliked the process. Not sure why as it was simple enough, but it just wasn't my jam. I want to grow organically so that just didn't seem to do it for me.

And I think the overly large reservoir would only be needed if one were to be away from the grow for long periods of time.

Sounds like you want to tinker, but I still think you should get a solid grow under your belt using some proven method that you feel comfortable with so you at least have a baseline that you can compare your experiments to.
Yeah, thanks!
My parents were both engineers, so I love tinkering, but my workload runneth over, so I have to stay blindered and focused hard.
I am set with autos and SIPs for the next batch, and will probably be on that for a year or two.
Next spring I *might want to try some photoperiod grows in 20g SIP garbage cans, if I can figure out the watering, so I am trying to think ahead.
But yeah, for the next place, probably commercial SIPs and autos.
I even have the seeds picked out....

Good day all ~ I'm enjoying the SIP talk here.

A couple nights ago I sketched out my plans for a nested 5-gal bucket SIP-type system that has some interesting twists. I don't want to spill the beans completely at this point, because I don't know when I'm gonna be able to build it. Here's a glimpse of the design...

My design will address both the top feeder roots and the deep roots. The top bucket interface to bottom bucket won't use any wicking of any kind – it will just be a way for the roots to find the reservoir. My design focuses on run-off recycling, as opposed to on-demand self-watering. The soil will be a well-draining custom mix... organic, living soil, full of nutes – basically what I'm using now – and I'm feeling the call to add plenty of biochar. There will be some active oxygenation going on, but not using an air stone.

My design uses "stacking" of features, as in permaculture. There will be all the benefits of SIP, but also the addition of another crucial feature that, if the design pans out, could substantially increase foliar growth, root growth, soil microbes, and yield, possibly by numbers like below... note: top numbers are the control, bottom numbers are with the feature (replace comma with decimal point)...

1663107885219.png

This would mean around 20% increase in yield. (This was from a scientific study done in Italy in 2020 on perennial flowering herb plants, not cannabis.)

:tommy:

A couple nights ago I sketched out my plans for a nested 5-gal bucket SIP-type system that has some interesting twists. I don't want to spill the beans completely at this point, because I don't know when I'm gonna be able to build it. Here's a glimpse of the design...

My design will address both the top feeder roots and the deep roots. The top bucket interface to bottom bucket won't use any wicking of any kind – it will just be a way for the roots to find the reservoir. My design focuses on run-off recycling, as opposed to on-demand self-watering. The soil will be a well-draining custom mix... organic, living soil, full of nutes – basically what I'm using now – and I'm feeling the call to add plenty of biochar. There will be some active oxygenation going on, but not using an air stone.

My design uses "stacking" of features, as in permaculture. There will be all the benefits of SIP, but also the addition of another crucial feature that, if the design pans out, could substantially increase foliar growth, root growth, soil microbes, and yield, possibly by numbers like below... note: top numbers are the control, bottom numbers are with the feature (replace comma with decimal point)...

1663107885219.png

This would mean around 20% increase in yield. (This was from a scientific study done in Italy in 2020 on perennial flowering herb plants, not cannabis.)

Really?!! That's it?? You're just going to leave us hanging like that? Tantalizing idea and then, nothing?

Come on c, give us a little more than that....

Please? :nomo:

1663107885219.png

I look forward to seeing your results!

Really?!! That's it?? You're just going to leave us hanging like that? Tantalizing idea and then, nothing?

Come on c, give us a little more than that....

Please? :nomo:
OK, I'm gonna build it. Gotta gets some parts.

CLUE: Imagine the nested 5 gal bucket SIP concept mated with a vortex tea brewer... sort of. Like growing a plant in a tea brewer, so its getting tea all the time. Only, the vortex is provided by another means. And it's also a living soil system. I intend to keep it simple and compact. Very experimental. 🪣🪣🌧️💎🌀♾️🌞🦠🪱🌱💗

:popcorn:

CLUE: Imagine the nested 5 gal bucket SIP concept mated with a vortex tea brewer... sort of. Like growing a plant in a tea brewer, so its getting tea all the time. Only, the vortex is provided by another means. And it's also a living soil system. I intend to keep it simple and compact. Very experimental.
Hahaha...
Cbd, is this, a Sherlock Holmes novel, that you are going to keep us in suspense!???? Hahahaha!
And oooohhhh!!!!!
Hieroglyphs!!!!

:popcorn::popcorn:

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

CLUE: Imagine the nested 5 gal bucket SIP concept mated with a vortex tea brewer... sort of. Like growing a plant in a tea brewer, so its getting tea all the time. Only, the vortex is provided by another means. And it's also a living soil system. I intend to keep it simple and compact. Very experimental.
Yes, yes... I am still going to build it. 🙂 I've got a sketch of it sitting right by my chair. ...Still contemplating some things, and need to order some more stuff.

Yes, yes... I am still going to build it. 🙂 I've got a sketch of it sitting right by my chair. ...Still contemplating some things, and need to order some more stuff.
Why not go with the proven concept for the first round? Stupid simple to build, no maintenance, no electricity, no moving parts to fail, etc. I'm all for experiments but I like to have a baseline to compare new results to to see if I've improved things or not.

Why not go with the proven concept for the first round? Stupid simple to build, no maintenance, no electricity, no moving parts to fail, etc. I'm all for experiments but I like to have a baseline to compare new results to to see if I've improved things or not.
cuz I like to invent. it will be fun and interesting. I'm sure y'all are gonna get a kick out of it. ...but counting chickens before eggs hatch. stay tooned.

cuz I like to invent. it will be fun and interesting. I'm sure y'all are gonna get a kick out of it. ...but counting chickens before eggs hatch. stay tooned.
Totally respect that. I'm the same way and always seem to have to have some new project I'm working on. :thumb:

As they say in the classics, improvise!

Am I doing it right?

Is this SIP or SWICK?

WP_20221220_10_49_00_Pro.jpg

j

I think it's actually a straight up wick
the s in swick i believe refers sitting a bag on a substrate an letting it sip/wick water.
compared to regular wick which has a wick going up into the media.
i'm not sure what mine would be considered since I use a bag that sets on the wick on a plant riser and eliminate the substrate.
they're all different variations of sub irrigated planters

Back
Top Bottom