Atulip's Closet - LED - Swick Organic Soil - NLxBB - White Widow - Blue Kush

Looks like things are going well in your neck of the woods!! Nice work man!

I have a question when/if you get time... So now that you have some time/experience under your belt; what are your thoughts on LED vs HPS as I know you now have both??

Thanks!

Thanks man, I just need to convince the wife we need more tents. I want a swimming pool filled with bud. :lot-o-toke:

I prefer LED to HPS, but at the higher wattage, HPS offers more bang for your buck. My 600w HPS total setup is like $200. With a good brand ballast(quantum), and bulb(hortilux). For $200 I also got a Mars II 400, which is 180w actual. And that's a cheap brand LED. I ignore the "equivalent wattage" for comparisons, but I'm sure LED cranks out more par per watt than hps, I just don't believe it's over double. And to get 600w of actual LED I'd need a Mars 1200, which is $450. If prices drop a bit more, I could see led replacing HPS completely. But for now, HPS is definitely the best bang for your buck(at higher watts(a 250w or 400w hps setup is only $20-30 cheaper than a 600w))

Also regarding bud development in hps vs led. I've noticed zero difference in depth penetration(a foot down in the plant I've got airy undeveloped buds in both my grows). My NLxBB buds are bigger and more dense than the fast and vast, but that's 2 different strains, and 600w HPS vs 260w LED(600w "equivalent").

Alright I made a huge mistake the other day with my trichrome check. I must've got a lower piece or my eyes are just really bad. We're actually at 30-40% Amber on NLxBB. Confirmed with sugar leaves from 3 different colas. Tried to get a couple decent photos through the 60x microscope.
IMG_20151207_075746.jpg
IMG_20151207_075818.jpg

Harvest is tomorrow.

I also want to share a side by side coparison of my closet. My tallest Kush getting General Organics line vs my tallest Kush getting water only.

IMAG08127.jpg

20 inches vs 11 inches. 8 nodes vs 6. So far I think it does everything aerated compost teas would do, in convenient bottled nutrients. I'll probably pick up a gallon of the grow, bloom, Root, and bud. Don't care to much for all the other craps.

12/8

Harvested NLxBB today. 190g wet bud(on stems), 80g wet trim. So like 2oz total dry. A bit disappointed in yield, she didn't fatten up like I expected. And not very dense. Probably her rootbound & fighting N deficiency at the beginning of flowering. Sampled some with a quick microwave dry. Her smoke is quite good though, very little head high and a strong body. Fell asleep 20-30 mins after smoking.

IMAG08148.jpg
IMAG08158.jpg

One giant mass of roots.
IMAG08138.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts on HPS vs LED!! Have some reps bro!

I was just reading about "double ended HPS" -- I assume yours is single ended?

Congrats on the harvest! Should be cured enough for the holidays!! I love what you and your wife have done with your grow spaces -- awesomeness for sure!!

Have a good weekend dude!

12/12

NLxBB Weighed and jarred. Has a god awful taste, very bitter. That may be a result of the increased terpene production. Dry yield at 60g bud, 18g frosty trim. Not bad, hope BK gets me a bit more. Smokes well besides the taste, high is strong body and mild head, very relaxing. Have some Boveda 62 packs in the mail so I'll toss those in and see how they do.

Bonsai trimmers. Cheap($2), sharp, light tension to use, perfect for trimming bud.
IMAG085412.jpg

Bud
IMAG084211.jpg

Frosty trim
IMAG085010.jpg

Pint size mason jars. Around 20g each.
IMAG08517.jpg

Bud shots.
IMAG084515.jpg

IMAG084611.jpg

Blue Kush and White Widow both got water only. White Widow looks around 10% Amber so we might harvest later this week. Blue Kush needs 2 more weeks at least.
IMAG08409.jpg

White Widow(6 weeks) has cute little buds everywhere. Fairly dense but doesn't look like a lot of frosty trim.
IMAG08248.jpg

Those brown hairs
IMAG082910.jpg

Blue Kush (6 weeks) Dense sticky buds. Definitely the winner for appeal. Flowers have a bluish tint to them. Not seeing any Amber trichs yet so maybe 2 weeks.
IMAG08346.jpg
IMAG08356.jpg
IMAG083910.jpg

Closet SoG. Gigantic plants. They're exploding. Tallest is 26" now. They're 2 weeks since 12/12 now. Looks like they're starting to flower so maybe I won't need to raise the light more. The back water only plants aren't getting much light so I'm thinking this comparison was won back in the veg stage. I'll keep up with water only for them, but I'm not expecting much.
IMG_20151212_095356.jpg

Back.
IMG_20151212_095332.jpg

IMAG086010.jpg

Hey there Atulip - congrats on the harvest! Nice buds there buddy :thumb:

Taste will get there with a decent cure - patience.... or vape it. <--what I do IF I don't want to wait or want to taste... some reason freshies for me taste is not that great and is harsh too. After cure... 180degree turn on effect and taste.

I'm going to comment on defoil. I let the ladies go all the way to the end with all fan leaves other than a few down at the very btm I trim the laf off, other than that I let the ladies do their thing. Whats going on with fan leaves is that they are a sink for energy the plant actually uses the fan leaves to store energy for her final run down to senescence where she will take that stored energy and move it to the bud sites then the fan leaves turn yellow and fall off.

The article you referenced on de-foil I think takes a lot of science and re-writes it out of context, IMHO. Nothing beats a perfect 100% healthy plant - I think that article as written "sort of" says that certain environmental conditions can trigger the plant to "defend" against predators/disease etc. but I'm positive the plant wants perfect conditions so it can put ALL energies into reproduction - growing flowers and protecting them at all costs is the plants goal.

Creating artificial triggers is fine - example: we use fans, this triggers the plants to build stronger stalks with a benefit = the buds don't fall over.

I'm hard pressed to find a reason to get rid of fan leaves.

Science is: "When leaves degreen in the process of plant senescence, chlorophyll is converted to a group of colourless tetrapyrroles known as nonfluorescent chlorophyll catabolites (NCC's). These compounds have also been identified in several ripening fruits." More science, look up "Adenosine triphosphate (ATP)".

Adenosine triphosphate - Wikipedia

The plant uses the green in the leaves as energy to produce fruit, or flowers in our case here.

Here's what my dying yellow fan leaves look like and I'm totally OK with this and it's expected. Not pretty but its a normal process for plant life.

First run when this started happening I freaked out and almost chopped em all down thought it was disease or worse... freaked me out. Did some research that I'm sharing here....I'm still a little disappointed tho when I see the yellow start coming on but it's cause I know the end is near and I'm going to have to trim, again...

Life is good. :Namaste:

DSCN10106.JPG

Nice harvest :goodjob:

The humidipacks are nice. does what is says on the tin.

A bit of curing will hopefully make the taste better, I don't remember if you did a Budwash on it or not, but that tends to improve the taste and shorten the curing time significantly.

Well I wanted to give the late defol a run. It does seem the smell changed. Much stronger and stinkier than pre defol. Which adds to the bag appeal, regardless if it taste like doodie lol.

I doubt it'll make it through much cure, half of will be gone for Xmas. Should give me a chance to cure Blue Kush though.

12/15

White Widow got the chop. 10% Amber trichromes, 6½ weeks flower. My wife gave me the ok to chop her. :D wet weight of 190g, a lot of stem so maybe 1½ ounce dry. No frosty trim from her, anything frosty stayed on the buds(not much).

The results of ponytail training in early veg, then just simple fan tucking throughout the rest of the grow.

IMAG08719.jpg
IMAG08759.jpg
IMAG08769.jpg

Cute tiny nugs but initially she's good smoke. Sampled her while harvesting(bad idea), and found myself taking 4 hours trimming when it should've been 2 lol. Techno music was played loudly and deep thinking was done. Very enjoyable high. NLxBB tastes less bitter now, just a very bland taste now. Few days of sweating does wonders. I should add that I've been smoking the trim though, the bud is probably much smoother smoke.

Closet guys keep moving vertical. 30 inches tall now. I've got around 4 more inches I can raise the light then I need to get creative to make more space. Did not expect that much stretch, I might pull the 4 in the back and toss them, they're ~20" from the light, I expect a couple grams of airy bud that far down lol.

IMAG08639.jpg

Looking good - both the harvest and the plants!! Awesome work!
Man you guys always have something going on in your garden; never a dull moment in your household! Must be nice to have a rotation of buds; I can see I'm going to start getting bored of smoking the same thing for the next 4 months :) Need to build up a stash of a few different strains.

What kind of beats do you like (house, breakbeat)?

Happy holidaze!

Looking good - both the harvest and the plants!! Awesome work!
Man you guys always have something going on in your garden; never a dull moment in your household! Must be nice to have a rotation of buds; I can see I'm going to start getting bored of smoking the same thing for the next 4 months :) Need to build up a stash of a few different strains.

What kind of beats do you like (house, breakbeat)?

Happy holidaze!

Yeah we've got all kinds of stuff going on lol. Should have BK next week, then 4-5 weeks on my closet fellows, then shortly after that my perpetual autos will start harvesting and I'll be running new grows in the closet. Seems like a lot but still 1/4 the work of my first small grow lol. I started getting bored with smoking fast and Vast, even though it is a good hybrid smoke.

Not sure what it's called but I usually toss it on infected mushroom on Pandora. Fast paced and solid energy, depending on the high it's usually that, 90s alternative, classic rock, or snoop dogg radio. I enjoy a variety of everything lol.

12/17

Closet SoG update. Day 17 of flower. Fed with GO line scheduled bloom feeding, Bloom, camg, Bud, marine. Camg to the non nutrient ones. We also took them out for some heavy lollipop defol. Bottom 1/3-1/2 growth removed. Also reversed positions of the nute/non nute ones, and dug a few inches in the swick for the tall ones, keeping the water level low. Raised light to near maximum, about 7" from highest top.

Before lollipop
IMAG08949.jpg

After lollipop
IMAG08968.jpg

Found a rooted clone in one of the pots. Broke off some point from clumsy handling and managed to get in the soil enough to grow roots. Cannabis is truely an amazing plant.
IMAG08979.jpg

Looks much nicer. And saves me from some crummy undeveloped buds. I always feel like I'm wasting time trying to trim .1g air buds lol
IMG_20151217_064539.jpg

Still a major height difference.
IMG_20151217_064633.jpg

Nice update + looking healthy!

That's one reason I liked the results of mainlining -- I literally had zero airy/larfy flowers to trim. Just 8 main colas per plant. This allowed to completely trim up over 8oz in about 2.5 hrs total... Based on what I've read that's pretty good time for 8oz.

Nice update + looking healthy!

That's one reason I liked the results of mainlining -- I literally had zero airy/larfy flowers to trim. Just 8 main colas per plant. This allowed to completely trim up over 8oz in about 2.5 hrs total... Based on what I've read that's pretty good time for 8oz.

It would probably take me about an hour per ounce for trimmimg bud and fan leaf removal if I worked diligently. But I get high and it turns into an all day thing lol.

lookin good.I m trying to root some clones 10days and no signs of root yet,and you just drop it in the pot and root????

Probably happened when I watered, so it fell in some muddy soil. Nothing beats natures method, though. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom