SIP - Pity Do Dah, SIP - Pity A

High All ! How's it growin ? Been Growin quite well myself. Anyway, I thought I'd share a little background info on my grows. It's been about 5 years since I started growing. My 1st grow was a real joke. Used a large cardboard box lined with aluminum foil & a kitchen Track Light with CFL's. I did get through that grow. However my yield & the quality was not all that. So I bought a small 2x4 tent & a 600 watt MH/HPS.... lol. Talk about high temps. So I bought a bigger tent.
Still too hot. Before long I switched to LED's. Been through lots of different brands. My warning to you is avoid the cheap ones that are not a name brand. I went that route at first. One of them quit working one day & the switch wouldn't move. I opened it up & the wiring was burnt & melted & the back of the On/Off switch was a glob of melted plastic. So I opened up the other 2 lights as they were the same brand. They were also melting. So beware of cheap-o lights. Well about 3 years ago @Mars Hydro , offered me a Free Light to do a journal for them. It was the best grow I ever had; until my last grow. Grew 3 plants & the smallest was over 9 oz. & the largest was 11 oz. At the time it was the most expensive light I had. So I got to thinking if this light does this good a more expensive light should do even better.
Yeah, Right ! Tried at least a dozen lights after that. None of them ever gave me a plant over 6.5 oz. Recently started switching all my lights back to Mars Hydro. Right now I have 1 SP3000, 4 TSL 2000's & 2 TS1000's. I'm also running 4 Vipar PAR1500's which I'll be replacing in the near future. Mars are better in my opinion.

Well, for 5 years now I've been attempting to grow a 1-lb. plant. During my last grow I did some testing by feeding different ways & using different grow methods. I think I might have found my answer, Hence why I'm doing this journal.
A short while back I posted a thread asking if anyone pulled 8 oz. per plant consistently. That's when @Krissi Carbone introduced me to these "SIP" Buckets. Figured, what the hell. Give it a shot. Nothing to lose & everything to gain. I finally got my 1-lb. plant. I've pulled 17 oz. so far & there's still a small amount drying. I'm not trying to brag. I'm trying to turn you guys on to this type of growing. It's really a simple way to grow as long as you have time to fill a reservoir daily.
So this journal will be a 6 SIP Bucket grow. I'm doing 4 "CHERRY ON TOP" & 2 "AURORA INDICA" from Clones. I started this grow a couple of weeks ago. Didn't want to bore you all with the beginning stuff so I'll just do an update to what I've done.
So I guess it's time to Tag some folks that might just be interested in this journal.
Wow thats a lot on one plant man how long you veg for lol steroid plant

1.JPG
Impressive!

The first thing I think is... what the heck am I looking at? The second thing I think is, how can this be done DIY, off-grid, outdoors, living soil, organic ferts.

I'm so glad you're doing this Buds. I saw the last grow and was curious abiut the bottom feed.

How often will you have to water with the sippy buckets?
He said sippy buckets :rofl: I love it

Impressive!

The first thing I think is... what the heck am I looking at? The second thing I think is, how can this be done DIY, off-grid, outdoors, living soil, organic ferts.
Pretty simple construction, and works great with organics but I find you have to feed from the top. Water from the bottom consistently but feed from the top to keep the microbes engaged.

Pretty simple construction, and works great with organics but I find you have to feed from the top. Water from the bottom consistently but feed from the top to keep the microbes engaged.
Hmm, to produce a big yield, there must be something more going on here than self-watering. So... I'm seeing that all nutrient-rich runoff would wind up in the reservoir and get re-absorbed by the roots. It's kind of a runoff recycler. Plus, roots get more oxygen. (BTW, this system is $50 on Amazon... for a 3-pack)

1662329603855.png

What I'm not clear on is the interface between the reservoir and the soil. But this photo helps answer that question:

1662331125831.png

So, if this is serving as a runoff-recycler, then why even have the watering tube? If the soil mixture is well-draining, then nutrient-rich water will easily seep down into the reservoir. Given this, I'm wondering about the design of the "tube stand" – why not just have an inverted plastic pot, with small holes drilled in the bottom, at the bottom of the 5-gal bucket? When watering, just look for overflow coming out the drain hole that's 3.5" from the bottom of the bucket. (Maybe a tube would be needed for the overflow hole.) Lastly, some holes might be needed around the rim of the inverted pot, to allow the runoff to fill the bottom of the bucket – but maybe not.

I'm so glad you're doing this Buds. I saw the last grow and was curious abiut the bottom feed.

How often will you have to water with the sippy buckets?
Welcome Tim ! For about the 1st 10 days I water every other day from the Top. Got to get the roots down lower to get them drinking from the reservoir. I also put 40 oz. of Nutes in the Res. which fills it about 1/3rd the way. I believe the res. holds 1 gal. before it comes out the overflow hole in the side. At first I'll probably only need to fill the res. every 2-3 days. As the plants get bigger it will be more often. That big girl in my last grow drank 2 gallons a day for a while.
Hope this kind of helps.

:headbanger: I'm in thankz for the tag budz
Welcome aboard ! If these gals come out even close to the last one I bet we'll see some growers making the switch.
Thought I'd be the one to give it a shot & so you all can see how things turn out before switching over. I can't say if that last plant was luck or if this is normal. But we will find out !

Impressive!

Azimuth, Reservoir Dog & Mountain Man are all doing homemade versions I think. Maybe they will chime in & post some info on how they're doing it.

Hmm, to produce a big yield, there must be something more going on here than self-watering. So... I'm seeing that all nutrient-rich runoff would wind up in the reservoir and get re-absorbed by the roots. It's kind of a runoff recycler. Plus, roots get more oxygen. (BTW, this system is $50 on Amazon.)

1662329603855.png

What I'm not clear on is the interface between the reservoir and the soil. But this photo helps answer that question:

1662331125831.png

So, if this is serving as a runoff-recycler, then why even have the watering tube? If the soil mixture is well-draining, then nutrient-rich water will easily seep down into the reservoir. Given this, I'm wondering about the design of the "tube stand" – why not just have an inverted plastic pot, with small holes drilled in the bottom, at the bottom of the 5-gal bucket? When watering, just look for overflow coming out the drain hole that's 3.5" from the bottom of the bucket. (Maybe a tube would be needed for the overflow hole.) Lastly, some holes might be needed around the rim of the inverted pot, to allow the runoff to fill the bottom of the bucket – but maybe not.
Yes, that's where I bought them. It's a 3 pack for $50.

Plus, roots get more oxygen.
There is an air gap between the bottom of the soil and the top of the reservoir which I think is the real secret to the success of these systems.

What I'm not clear on is the interface between the reservoir and the soil.
There is a connector pot in some, or the style you see in the photo with an inverted "bowl" to create the void for the reservoir and soil is packed down around it.

So, if this is serving as a runoff-recycler, then why even have the watering tube?
Allows the top of the soil to dry out a bit but still keep the reservoir full for on demand drinking.

Given this, I'm wondering about the design of the "tube stand" – why not just have an inverted plastic pot, with small holes drilled in the bottom, at the bottom of the 5-gal bucket? When watering, just look for overflow coming out the drain hole that's 3.5" from the bottom of the bucket.
Could do this but the fill tube adds extra flexibility and, more importantly, more O2 to the lower root zone.

Lastly, some holes might be needed around the rim of the inverted pot, to allow the runoff to fill the bottom of the bucket – but maybe not.
These top holes are important, at least for the ones I've built. Allows more air to the roots sitting above the water. I do holes all over but especially at the top and bottom.

High All ! How's it growin ? Been Growin quite well myself. Anyway, I thought I'd share a little background info on my grows. It's been about 5 years since I started growing. My 1st grow was a real joke. Used a large cardboard box lined with aluminum foil & a kitchen Track Light with CFL's. I did get through that grow. However my yield & the quality was not all that. So I bought a small 2x4 tent & a 600 watt MH/HPS.... lol. Talk about high temps. So I bought a bigger tent.
Still too hot. Before long I switched to LED's. Been through lots of different brands. My warning to you is avoid the cheap ones that are not a name brand. I went that route at first. One of them quit working one day & the switch wouldn't move. I opened it up & the wiring was burnt & melted & the back of the On/Off switch was a glob of melted plastic. So I opened up the other 2 lights as they were the same brand. They were also melting. So beware of cheap-o lights. Well about 3 years ago @Mars Hydro , offered me a Free Light to do a journal for them. It was the best grow I ever had; until my last grow. Grew 3 plants & the smallest was over 9 oz. & the largest was 11 oz. At the time it was the most expensive light I had. So I got to thinking if this light does this good a more expensive light should do even better.
Yeah, Right ! Tried at least a dozen lights after that. None of them ever gave me a plant over 6.5 oz. Recently started switching all my lights back to Mars Hydro. Right now I have 1 SP3000, 4 TSL 2000's & 2 TS1000's. I'm also running 4 Vipar PAR1500's which I'll be replacing in the near future. Mars are better in my opinion.

Well, for 5 years now I've been attempting to grow a 1-lb. plant. During my last grow I did some testing by feeding different ways & using different grow methods. I think I might have found my answer, Hence why I'm doing this journal.
A short while back I posted a thread asking if anyone pulled 8 oz. per plant consistently. That's when @Krissi Carbone introduced me to these "SIP" Buckets. Figured, what the hell. Give it a shot. Nothing to lose & everything to gain. I finally got my 1-lb. plant. I've pulled 17 oz. so far & there's still a small amount drying. I'm not trying to brag. I'm trying to turn you guys on to this type of growing. It's really a simple way to grow as long as you have time to fill a reservoir daily.
So this journal will be a 6 SIP Bucket grow. I'm doing 4 "CHERRY ON TOP" & 2 "AURORA INDICA" from Clones. I started this grow a couple of weeks ago. Didn't want to bore you all with the beginning stuff so I'll just do an update to what I've done.
So I guess it's time to Tag some folks that might just be interested in this journal.

Thanks for the tag! Nice monster of a plant to get over a pound! I definitely would be happy with a consistent 8 ounce plant. I went on Amazon and ordered three of those buckets couldn’t resist! My genetics are the same as your aurora. I have some K2 Maui and lemon haze going. :hookah: Cheers

After my last grow I'm very excited to be trying 6 of the planters at once. Was it luck or is the Golden Ticket ? That's my question.
Yeah, not luck. This pot structure has a bit of magic to it. I'm looking forward to the show. Wondering if you'll run out of room if they all perform like the last one.

Yeah, not luck. This pot structure has a bit of magic to it. I'm looking forward to the show. Wondering if you'll run out of room if they all perform like the last one.
I'm planning to have my 4x8 tent empty by early to mid flower so I can move 3 plants in there & keep 3 in the shed. I'll probably veg these another 3 - 4 weeks before flipping to 12/12. Looking at Oct. 1st for a flip date if they don't get too big before then.

I'm planning to have my 4x8 tent empty by early to mid flower so I can move 3 plants in there & keep 3 in the shed. I'll probably veg these another 3 - 4 weeks before flipping to 12/12. Looking at Oct. 1st for a flip date if they don't get too big before then.
I find mine grow like a normal plant for a few weeks (2-3) before the roots establish themselves in the reservoir. Then they take off.

Thanks for the tag! Nice monster of a plant to get over a pound! I definitely would be happy with a consistent 8 ounce plant. I went on Amazon and ordered three of those buckets couldn’t resist! My genetics are the same as your aurora. I have some K2 Maui and lemon haze going. :hookah: Cheers
17 + what's still drying. Not much, maybe 1.5 - 2 oz.
I know what you mean about the temptation. After seeing Krissi's grows I was the same way. Just had to try them for myself.

Back
Top Bottom