BoohdahLovah's First SIP - Cereal Milk Clone - Grow Journal 2023

BoohdahLovah

Strain: Cereal Milk Clone
Hybrid: 50/50. Supposed to be 18-22% THC.
State: Veg
Started: Been vegging for a little bit, planted in 5 gallon SIP today, which I’ll call day one
Indoor Tent: Gorrila Grow Tent 2’x2.5’x5’11”
Soil: Dr Greenthumb's TurboDirt water only (1st run)
Pot Size: 5 Gal SIP Bucket
Light: @Mars Hydro FC 3000
Ferts: Dr Greenthumb's Go & Grow and Bud & Bloom, fish Hydrolysate, Root Roids, Fruit Roids - all as needed
Temp: To be monitored
RH: To be monitored
PH: Unknown/Not Measured
Pests: None (so far)
Watering: Whenever the reservoir gets low

I’ve been keen to see what can happen with a SIP. This is a clone that I got a few weeks ago. I chopped off the top to begin another clone so I could keep this one as a mother, but I decided to grow her out instead. I hope the clone I cut survives. 🤣

I followed the instructions from the YouTube clip from this post in the SIP club to build the container, as well as filling and initial watering. With the initial watering I filled the reservoir and then watered from the top until water started coming out of the overflow pipe. Hopefully it’s all good to go.

I’ll see how I go with doing some LST to keep the tops even. I read the strain can stretch so I’m thinking I’ll flip when she’s about a third of what I’m expecting her to finish at. I’ve got an extension kit for the tent so I can raise it an extra foot if I need to. I’ll see how I go.

de8e5829-83a1-4e70-859f-d1f3ed4dd8e7.jpeg

eb42d797-6c34-4a86-8fbc-33b061c082d9.jpeg

0e41b2c0-9bd6-49cc-ae3d-4b8be3097c19.jpeg

IMG_5309.jpeg

IMG_5310.jpeg

I followed the instructions from the YouTube clip from this post in the SIP club to build the container, as well as filling and initial watering. With the initial watering I filled the reservoir and then watered from the top until water started coming out of the overflow pipe. Hopefully it’s all good to go.
Looking good @BoohdahLovah . Nice clean build. :thumb:

There are, of course, different ways to get started, but that sounds like it's going to be way too wet to start off to me. I'd empty the reservoir and not add any to it for the first couple of weeks. As you water normally from the top initially some of it will find its way to the reservoir and provide the adventurous rots a little taste when they make it down there.

After a couple of weeks I'd give it a small measured amount of water directly to the reservoir and then measure how long it takes to drain it before adding more.

My plants stall in a too wet medium for a while before they catch. They'll catch anyway if you just leave it as is, but I think you'll get off to a faster start without all that extra water that the plant can't use anyway.

Looking good @BoohdahLovah . Nice clean build. :thumb:

There are, of course, different ways to get started, but that sounds like it's going to be way too wet to start off to me. I'd empty the reservoir and not add any to it for the first couple of weeks. As you water normally from the top initially some of it will find its way to the reservoir and provide the adventurous rots a little taste when they make it down there.

After a couple of weeks I'd give it a small measured amount of water directly to the reservoir and then measure how long it takes to drain it before adding more.

My plants stall in a too wet medium for a while before they catch. They'll catch anyway if you just leave it as is, but I think you'll get off to a faster start without all that extra water that the plant can't use anyway.
Thanks for your input again Az, you’re always helping me out. 😉

I’ve emptied most of the reservoir with a shop vac over the overflow pipe. I can’t get the rest out though. I’ll refrain from filling it up for a little while and keep an eye on things.

For my future reference, what’s the best way to start? I was under the impression that the soil needs to start off wet otherwise the wicking action won’t happen.

My plants stall in a too wet medium for a while
That’s interesting - probably helps explain a bit about why my outdoor SIP had a 2-3 week stall. In part she wasn’t getting the light she deserved but it was really tropical downpours during those weeks (obvs doesn’t help with the light!)

Bunnings! What a legend looking SIP Boodha - having a snag outside a Bunnings is a long held ambition of mine! 😂

Not even joking 🤣

For my future reference, what’s the best way to start? I was under the impression that the soil needs to start off wet otherwise the wicking action won’t happen.
I treat them like normal plants and water lightly from the top while they get established. And you'll know when that happens as the growth goes crazy. I like to monitor the water level with a dip stick down the fill pipe and not have more water down there than it can use in a day or two.

Once it catches you can be more casual with excess water as by that point the roots will have adapted to the wetter environment that we typically run in.

But, like I said, it'll still work fine if you skip this step, it just connects earlier if you water judiciously to start.

That’s interesting - probably helps explain a bit about why my outdoor SIP had a 2-3 week stall.
It's been pretty consistent for me which is why I do it the way I do, although I should also say my mix holds more water than is typical so that may also be a factor but I think basic principles remain the same.

I’m agreeing with you totes! Not thought about it before but yeah I reckon the soil in our SIPs is really relatively light and airy but still compared to pure coco its much more moisture absorbent.

Hope so anyway because she’s not getting any more water from me until the res is 1” or less!

That’s probably tomorrow though 🤣

Nicest 5 gal bucket design/colour of all time! (From a fellow commonwealth-type)

Australia, New Zealand, UK and Canada have been talking about becoming a bloc of nations with no visa travel/residency restrictions and aligned trade for a long time. Our laws are already so closely aligned it wouldn’t be difficult to actually accomplish.

I’d always assumed that the Americans would sooner have invaded us up in here in Canada, than see that happen pre 2000, but post-glabalisms big bust, I reckon the Yanks would welcome it as a strengthening of deterrence against Chinese designs on Taiwan, Philippines, etc. and let the rest slide.

I personally don’t give a Damon how I get some of those buckets, but if it takes the creation of a new global power bloc to make it happen, then get me the phone and the gaddam lawyer’s number - and let’s get on with it already!

Hey, they’re damn-nice buckets.

That’s interesting - probably helps explain a bit about why my outdoor SIP had a 2-3 week stall. In part she wasn’t getting the light she deserved but it was really tropical downpours during those weeks (obvs doesn’t help with the light!)

Bunnings! What a legend looking SIP Boodha - having a snag outside a Bunnings is a long held ambition of mine! 😂

Not even joking 🤣
I had a snag when I bought them 🤣

Nicest 5 gal bucket design/colour of all time! (From a fellow commonwealth-type)

Australia, New Zealand, UK and Canada have been talking about becoming a bloc of nations with no visa travel/residency restrictions and aligned trade for a long time. Our laws are already so closely aligned it wouldn’t be difficult to actually accomplish.

I’d always assumed that the Americans would sooner have invaded us up in here in Canada, than see that happen pre 2000, but post-glabalisms big bust, I reckon the Yanks would welcome it as a strengthening of deterrence against Chinese designs on Taiwan, Philippines, etc. and let the rest slide.

I personally don’t give a Damon how I get some of those buckets, but if it takes the creation of a new global power bloc to make it happen, then get me the phone and the gaddam lawyer’s number - and let’s get on with it already!

Hey, they’re damn-nice buckets.
Thanks heaps Res

Day 18

I haven’t been on for a little while, life’s been a bit busy.

The Cereal Milk is loving the SIP. I’ve trained her a little bit, and will do a defol in the near future.

I’m loving how easy it is to maintain so far. I went away for 3 nights/4 days and came back to no issues at all.

I’ll try and keep up with updates more regularly than I have.

IMG_5358.jpeg

IMG_5359.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

I treat them like normal plants and water lightly from the top while they get established. And you'll know when that happens as the growth goes crazy. I like to monitor the water level with a dip stick down the fill pipe and not have more water down there than it can use in a day or two.

Once it catches you can be more casual with excess water as by that point the roots will have adapted to the wetter environment that we typically run in.

But, like I said, it'll still work fine if you skip this step, it just connects earlier if you water judiciously to start.
Yeah, this will work for you. Azi has good experience working this way for a little while now and other people report similar responses to grower-induced top watering. However, once you begin the top-watering as a baby, etc, you are stuck doing that, it makes little sense to try a miniSIP partway through if, say, a stall really starts to creep-by;

Three weeks is almost as common as two, for stalls, and since I was in exploration and development mode at the time, I decided to figure out how to get what I wanted, a fast, healthy transplant with zero TP stress and no stall.

So, I like to miniSIP for first weeks in attempt to grow the ‘right roots’ from the start, and I usually succeed in sidestepping any stalls , however it’s not 100% every time guaranteed, 9/10. I'll drop a couple pics of examples that have been successful, no-stall, growers.
2DC3619A-A931-4FDA-B8D2-0AA89CD19F66.jpeg
D4F90563-3FAF-4F92-B224-557FBDBC8565.jpeg
They've all been hybrids, 3/4 indica usually, from seed since starting SIPs 2-3 years ago. (growing for high-octane, hi narcotic-effect, extracts)
16E33BC1-E077-44A1-8818-2FCD32BDD3DE.jpeg

I use little, inexpensive (a few pennies each, on Amazon), non-woven, horticultural/forestry material seedling baggies. I plant clones/germinate the plants in the bags with my Special deluxe custom, *beneficials-inoculated*, @Bill284 -Method Soil.

These do operate as a SIP when setup inside a jar, propped up on some perlite with a fertigation level about 1 inch from top of perlite in jar/bucket. With this piece made from a filled horticultural seedling baggy, just lay on top of the perlite and it will suck up the water even if the water level is 3 inches down below top of perlite. This is good, oxygen.

You always bottom watering the plant in this method. and I actually perch it up on a perlite.pile in a bucket or jar which is drained to keep level of fertilizer below top of perlite. Nature of bag allows for max oxygen which means you can push max water/fertigation, which means you can push out some big fat, fish-boned water-roots right from the get-go. It gets you up and running quite quickly, but isn’t necessary to have a glorious SIP grow, just must faster. Two weeks faster.

My experience over the last few years makes me suspect that the best overall system for developing transplants for a SIP is probably Bubbler Cloner. In my experience, these plants respond fastest at transplant however I would strongly recommend waiting until you have 12”root length in your cloner. Use a paper towel roll or something like it to make sure your transplant hole goes all the way down with roots like this you want them on the bottom, now. Or 10 'roots at least. Anyway, the plants just leap to life when transplanted in this state.

As for growing from seed, my miniSIP using those softy seedling bags for seedling and clone is the best system I have managed to shape, and I'll keep using them for a while yet I hope.

I like growing from seed just fine, and will make some new ones soon I hope. But these days my goal is to settle on 3-5 strains and just start grinding out some improvements over a couple of years and settle into some rhythms, if possible.

I was diagnosed with cancer this fall and am in the midst of treatment. Currently admitted, but I have plants running right now that not only live, but one is ready to harvest. Could not have accomplished any of that during this terrible time if it were not for the SIPs. No chance, not even close.

These SIPs really are a very forgiving grow container as there are many paths to a great harvest and I'd encourage you to try it a few different ways even if over a few different grows and see what works best for you.

The basic principles are the same, and the slightly different approaches all seem to end up with a great grow at the end.

Day 29

The SIP grow is going so well. I need to get in and do a defol. I’ll do it next time the reservoir is empty.

I feel like there’s so much growth daily. She’s really bushy and the fan leaves are pretty big. She’s looking really healthy.

I’ll be building another SIP for the other tent when the current grow is done. Thanks @Azimuth for clueing me into SIPs.

IMG_5403.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

IMG_5405.jpeg

Looking good @BoohdahLovah ! Great to hear you're liking the SIPs. Bigger, healthier plants, so what's not to like I guess.

Now the problem is you'll probably not want to ever grow any other way. :laughtwo:

Make sure you cross post an update over in SIP club.

Now the problem is you'll probably not want to ever grow any other way. :laughtwo:

Make sure you cross post an update over in SIP club.
I think I’m hooked. I’m definitely building another one when my Gary Poppins finishes.

I’ll post there too. ;)

Day 29

I’ve just given her a defol and a top feed and reservoir refill.

She was so healthy before, but now she’s looking a bit bare. I’m sure she’s going to bounce back in a major way and I can’t wait to see it.

IMG_5420.jpeg

IMG_5421.jpeg

IMG_5422.jpeg

0A06E464-B6AB-4DF3-8FAB-7D6AC50C1DD7.jpeg

Day 47

I have been really slack with my updates, so i apologise.

The SIP is making the Cereal Milk grow like a monster. I’m loving the results so far. When my other grow (in a geopot) finishes I’m going to build another SIP for the next grow. I’m going to put the outlet pipe a little bit higher. I put it too low on this one.

I gave her a massive defol in prep for flowering, which I’m also switching the light schedule to 12/12 today too. I think I may have been a bit too harsh with the cuts, but it’s too late now. I’m following another site’s instruction for defol in flower, so there’s another round of defol in three weeks time.

After cutting it all off, I think I’m going to build a SCROG net to keep the branches separated and help with light coverage. It’s all a learning curve.

Here are photos of before, after, and how much I trimmed.

IMG_5481.jpeg

IMG_5482.jpeg

IMG_5483.jpeg

IMG_5488.jpeg

IMG_5489.jpeg

IMG_5490.jpeg

IMG_5492.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom